TVmike

Professional Live Stream
Silver Member
Been streaming the whole time.

Matches Will Be 4:00 EST

Races to 125 - 14.1 Single Elimination Tournament Format
1st Place 6500 2nd 4350 3rd/4th 2000 5/8 1100

Chris Melling (GBR) Vs Lo Li Wen (CHN)
Dennis Orcollo (PHI) Vs Mika Immonen (FIN)
Alex Pagulayan (PHI) Vs Darren Appleton (GBR)
Johnny Archer (US) Vs Jayson Shaw (GBR)

Due to tournament scheduling times - The first matches we will feature

Johnny Archer (US) Vs Jayson Shaw (GBR)
Chris Melling (GBR) Vs Lo Li Wen (CHN)

More times TBA

Watch all the action for as little as 9.99 a month LIVE as a member of Billiardnet.tv

https://billiardnet.tv/channels/derby-city-classic-2017/

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Now the event really begins. Nice matchups in the quarterfinals.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Hmm, the event, once again, seems shrouded in a cloud of secrecy.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the matches played Thursday afternoon/evening Shaw beat Archer and Melling beat Lo.

Shaw broke, Archer missed a tough half-ball cut from the end rail and Shaw ran 112 (going to 125) before very uncharacteristically missing a break ball. Archer ran a few and Shaw got out in a few innings. He made the mistake on the final break shot of letting up thinking he only needed one or two after the break shot. As Irving Crane taught us, don't play an "almost there" break shot any differently than a middle-of-the-game break shot. Play what you know and have practiced.

In the Melling-Lo match there was a lot more back-and-forth. I think the score was 125-90 or so. The end of the match was notable for safety play that made me grit my teeth. I think Melling may have played only one or two matches before and simply has never seen the standard plays.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
In the matches played Thursday afternoon/evening Shaw beat Archer and Melling beat Lo.

Shaw broke, Archer missed a tough half-ball cut from the end rail and Shaw ran 112 (going to 125) before very uncharacteristically missing a break ball. Archer ran a few and Shaw got out in a few innings. He made the mistake on the final break shot of letting up thinking he only needed one or two after the break shot. As Irving Crane taught us, don't play an "almost there" break shot any differently than a middle-of-the-game break shot. Play what you know and have practiced.

In the Melling-Lo match there was a lot more back-and-forth. I think the score was 125-90 or so. The end of the match was notable for safety play that made me grit my teeth. I think Melling may have played only one or two matches before and simply has never seen the standard plays.

Thanks for that. We've got two of our semi-finalists!

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hard part is finding time for matches. Alex and Dennis are still in one-pocket and 9-ball also..

Btw. Best event on Derby for sure. Even Darren said he would not even come Derby if there would not be this great 14.1 event. I believe sane goes for Mika too.

Thanks Dennis Walsh,Bob Jewett and Bill Maropulous for making things happen.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Best event on Derby for sure.

Probably the worst. I love straight pool to death, and this may be the favorite event of a few of the players, but this event:

a) has no posted results on the DCC website, which give 10-ball, 1-hole, banks and 9-ball results
b) has few updates on AZB
c) has no match schedule
d) starts the single elimination one day too late
e) far too often ends so late on Saturday that I choose not to watch the final

That said, the guys running this event are passionate about straight pool and work tirelessly to make this event a reality. They are a credit to our sport.

... but for a fan, this is surely the one Derby City event you can't possibly follow.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Props to the managers of the event for completig the quarterfinals on Friday. Now it comes down to luck. If even one of Appleton, Shaw, Melling or Immonen makes a deep run in nine ball, though, the semis must wait and wait and wait.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Congrats to Chris Melling, DCC 14.1 Champion. Both he and Mika played poorly in the final, but one must assume they played well in the semis, beating Shaw and Appleton.

On the bright side, John Schmidt commentated the final, and he is excellent in the booth.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Congrats to Chris Melling, DCC 14.1 Champion. Both he and Mika played poorly in the final, but one must assume they played well in the semis, beating Shaw and Appleton.

On the bright side, John Schmidt commentated the final, and he is excellent in the booth.
Actually, both Shaw and Appleton forfeited in the semis. Jayson had some kind of misunderstanding about his match time and Darren was stuck in the nine ball for an indeterminate sentence so he said they should go ahead and play the finals in the only slot that was open on the Accu-Stats TV table, which was at noon. I'm glad it didn't go to 3AM as usual for the 14.1 finals.

We have a slightly different format in mind for next year that should have fewer scheduling problems.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Chris Melling beat Mika Immonen 125 - 89 in the final match of the 2017 George Fels Memorial Straight Pool Challenge at Derby City yesterday. Here is how the game went, inning by inning.

Scores in brackets are for Melling (M) first (since he shot the opening break), then Immonen (I). References to "left" and "right" sides of the table are as the player looks from the head of the table to the foot.

M1 (Melling's inning #1) -- good opening safety break from left side (much closer to the side rail than is traditional).
I1 -- fouled (scratch) on a missed attempt at a pack shot to the right foot pocket. [0 - (-1)]

M2 -- ran 29 but got stuck on the pack after the break shot, then missed a long shot on the 5-ball to the left head pocket. [29 - (-1)]
I2 -- ran 13, then missed the 7-ball break shot on the left of the rack. [29 - 12]

M3 -- ran 28, then missed the 6-ball break shot on the left of the rack. [57 - 12]
I3 -- ran 57 (his high run), then missed the 11-ball to the left side pocket. [57 - 69]

M4 -- ran 13, then fouled (scratch) on the break shot. [69 - 69]
I4 -- ran 10, then missed the 10-ball to the left head pocket. [69 - 79]

M5 -- ran 4 but got too straight on the break ball, then made the break ball but did not contact the pack. Played safe off the corner ball of the pack leaving a long shot. [74 - 79]
I5 -- missed, shooting the cue ball from near the head rail at the 8-ball on the left side rail not far from the left foot pocket.

M6 -- ran 42 (his high run), then missed the 11-ball (first shot after the break shot) on a real thin cut down the right side rail to the right foot pocket. [116 - 79]
I6 -- ran 4, then took an intentional foul in the pack. [116 - 82]

M7 -- intentional foul. [115 - 82]
I7 -- intentional foul. [115 - 81]

M8 -- intentional foul. [114 - 81]
I8 -- safe.

M9 -- missed a shot out of the pack to the left side pocket.
I9 -- ran 9, then fouled (scratch) making the break shot from the left of the rack but following it in with the cue ball. [114 - 89]

M10 -- ran 11 and out. [125 - 89]

Summary data -- for winner Melling first, then Immonen (separated by a comma):

High Run -- 42, 57
Total Innings -- 10, 9
Points per Inning -- 12.5, 9.9
Attempted Scoring Innings -- 7, 7
Points per Attempted Scoring Inning -- 17.9, 12.7
Safeties -- 2, 1
Intentional Fouls -- 2, 2
Missed Shots -- 4, 4
Unintentional Fouls -- 1, 2
Match Length -- 88 minutes
Points per Minute -- 2.4

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris Melling beat Mika Immonen 125 - 89 in the final match of the 2017 George Fels Memorial Straight Pool Challenge at Derby City yesterday. Here is how the game went, inning by inning.

Thanks for posting that!