Mali Cue history. indentifing cues?

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also; and remember it's been a bit since I saw the cue ( I actually only had it a few days before lending it out ), but I kinda think it was the " Gold lettered " Mali???? Does that make any sense? Could be misremembering but I think that's what it was??? This was the one of the cues I got from a pawn shop I frequented ( unfortunately place is now gone �� as I picked up quote a few good deals here ) but I think I paid like $15 bucks for it.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Wildwing, thanks again for posting this again. Yes, I believe this is the catalog I had gotten from you before. Also, yes M-1 is my EXACT CUE!. It's been awhile so I could be wrong but I was thinking the catalog you showed me before this ( my cue ) was listed as m-4, or m-5, no but for sure what I have is m-1 per this catalog! Thanks again! It been a couple years of course, any chance you could put any kinda value on the M-1 ( being either an 8 but probably a 9 out of 10 )?.

You're welcome. Here's Mali's brochure a bit after Sigel's endorsement, probably something like 1984 or 1985. The Model 1 stays pretty much the same, as do most, though I note there's a Model 7 with a brass joint, bushka rings, rosewood, that looks very nice. Also, dashed rings take over for Models 11 through 15, where some of them had solid Bushka rings in the previous brochure. Also, Model 14 now has maple rectangles on the buttsleeve, unlike the plain previous Model 14.

As for value of the Model 1, I would say a couple hundred bucks would be doing very well for that, not sure. Depends on how much a Mali collector would be willing.

Also, for the sharp-eyed, notice the Mali insignia on the buttplate is without the ring around it, for this build.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• Mali 2-1.jpg
    Mali 2-1.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 1,563
  • Mali 2-2.jpg
    Mali 2-2.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 1,803
  • Mali 2-3.jpg
    Mali 2-3.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 2,030

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Also; and remember it's been a bit since I saw the cue ( I actually only had it a few days before lending it out ), but I kinda think it was the " Gold lettered " Mali???? Does that make any sense? Could be misremembering but I think that's what it was??? This was the one of the cues I got from a pawn shop I frequented ( unfortunately place is now gone �� as I picked up quote a few good deals here ) but I think I paid like $15 bucks for it.

Gold letter Mali? Not sure I've ever seen that, at least in the 80s. There is a Trophy series that I'm scanning now to show, but doesn't look like gold lettering. Could be variations, though.

All the best,
WW

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wildwing, I did go back and check my thread from '14 and in fact this is the same catalog so it is and was m-1 the whole time. Not sure what else I was thinking about ????? Lol but yes this is it ( still m-1 lol ). Thanks again! While we are on the subject , my first " real cue " was a used Mali got from the someone at the first pool room I used to frequent. It was a green label Mali. 4 pointer with I believe a green speckled rap, 4 pointer with green and black veneers. Always wanted to get that one back ( or same cue ). Saw that exact cue for sale here on AZ like a year or two ago but docked around and didn't get it. I think it was cheap like 100-150 bucks. It's not on any of these catalogs, off the top of your head any idea about the model it may be or is it in any of your other catalogs cause I'd still like to pick one up sometime. Thanks!

Quick funny story about this cue. When I first started coming in and playing, then started gambling, there was a local guy that was the house hustler, scuffler if you were. He Def was not one of the top guys but was decent and of course played like GOD to me being 12 and just getting started. We would play for only like $5 a game with him spotting me - don't remember but think started out with me getting the 5 ( at that point it wouldn't have mattered what I was getting ). Over a few months I advanced and kept playing and the spot got less and less. After maybe 3 4 months I got to the point I was getting last two and won. Finally we got to playing even. I snapped him off even and burst him. He ended up selling me this cue cause I broke him. This guy had been my idol at that time so getting his cue was like the ultimate " trophy ". I continued to get better and he would no longer play me, even offering him weight. Strange enough, after countless years out of contact I randomly ran across him with a post he made on FB and we remembered each other and are now friends. He still plays, and probably still don't want none of this �� but I'd still like to get that cue or one just like it back though!

Last edited:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gold letter Mali? Not sure I've ever seen that, at least in the 80s. There is a Trophy series that I'm scanning now to show, but doesn't look like gold lettering. Could be variations, though.

All the best,
WW

Lol, they say the minds the first to go lolol. I just reread my thread front Jan 15 and it is in fact green Mali, I conflated from someone talking about the gold Malis. And I in fact paid $20 bucks for this one, the Lucasi is what I paid $15 for lol. But I was right about one thing thankfully, the brass joint and pin. Thanks again for everything !

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Wildwing, I did go back and check my thread from '14 and in fact this is the same catalog so it is and was m-1 the whole time. Not sure what else I was thinking about ????? Lol but yes this is it ( still m-1 lol ). Thanks again! While we are on the subject , my first " real cue " was a used Mali got from the someone at the first pool room I used to frequent. It was a green label Mali. 4 pointer with I believe a green speckled rap, 4 pointer with green and black veneers. Always wanted to get that one back ( or same cue ). Saw that exact cue for sale here on AZ like a year or two ago but docked around and didn't get it. I think it was cheap like 100-150 bucks. It's not on any of these catalogs, off the top of your head any idea about the model it may be or is it in any of your other catalogs cause I'd still like to pick one up sometime. Thanks!

!

Well, if your pointed Mali is not in the previous catalogs, it could be in the Trophy series, which probably came about 1986, or so, below. Similar designs, T-1 is the same as Model 1. From there, it's a bit different, with some phonolic joints in 11 through 15. Also, 14 has changed to a large mother of pearl inlay rather than the maple rectangle. Could be your pointed Mali came from this or either of the earlier two. If "Mali" does not have the solid line around it, chances are it came from the last two iterations.

By the way, thanks for the praise, appreciate it. I'm actually better at identifying Bushka, Rambow, Joss, and Scruggs cues, but if I'm in the old Mali crowd, that's fine as well. :smile:

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• Mali T-1.jpg
    Mali T-1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,990
  • Mali T-2.jpg
    Mali T-2.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,261
  • Mali T-3.jpg
    Mali T-3.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 1,350

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
All the best,
WW
Yes, much later than the 80's.
Black Butt.
Gold Letters.
Silver also.

Sorry for the ugly example.
Not my cue!

Attachments

• IMG_1588.JPG
    IMG_1588.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 969
  • IMG_1589.JPG
    IMG_1589.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 966
  • IMG_1590.JPG
    IMG_1590.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 943
Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an very minty M-13 with a brass pin and a brass joint collar. I have not seen it like that in any catalog. And I am very convinced it is quite original. A barely used cue actually. Not a scratch on it and it has not been refinished.

It has the green label without the line around it.

Any thoughts on that one?

I also have an M-15 and M-12 without the line around the logo but just like the catalog with a stainless collar.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, much later than the 80's.
Black Butt.
Gold Letters.
Silver also.

Sorry for the ugly example.
Not my cue!

I have a couple gold label Mali cues that were originally distributed through the Marlboro catalog. Very original, original shipping box, very rare.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I have an very minty M-13 with a brass pin and a brass joint collar. I have not seen it like that in any catalog. And I am very convinced it is quite original. A barely used cue actually. Not a scratch on it and it has not been refinished.

It has the green label without the line around it.

Any thoughts on that one?

I also have an M-15 and M-12 without the line around the logo but just like the catalog with a stainless collar.

Brass joint on an M-13 would be quite unusual. From your description, would be mid 80s or so. Would love to see a picture of that, maybe a custom make...

All the best,
WW

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, if your pointed Mali is not in the previous catalogs, it could be in the Trophy series, which probably came about 1986, or so, below. Similar designs, T-1 is the same as Model 1. From there, it's a bit different, with some phonolic joints in 11 through 15. Also, 14 has changed to a large mother of pearl inlay rather than the maple rectangle. Could be your pointed Mali came from this or either of the earlier two. If "Mali" does not have the solid line around it, chances are it came from the last two iterations.

By the way, thanks for the praise, appreciate it. I'm actually better at identifying Bushka, Rambow, Joss, and Scruggs cues, but if I'm in the old Mali crowd, that's fine as well. :smile:

All the best,
WW

I don't see it in any of these, however it looks pretty much just like the t-12 but the veneers were green and the two lines on bottom of cue were green over black. This would have been around 92 or so and pretty sure cue was well worn in at that point. Also remember it had the " big pin " in it if I recall correctly - but I'm about 99% sure about that. Thanks again

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brass joint on an M-13 would be quite unusual. From your description, would be mid 80s or so. Would love to see a picture of that, maybe a custom make...

All the best,
WW

Just read the description on the t-12 lol and it does state available red OR GREEN, so yes the cue I'm talking about is in fact the t-12 so thanks !

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

All the best,
WW

It's put away right now.

These are some pics I have of it next to my Huebler.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Hard to see joint collar but it is a very bronze/brass color. Not polished. More like a brushed finish.
The pin is definitely brass.

JasBy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks WildWing for the info - I now know mine is a T7. I think I might get it a refinish because it needs a new ferrule anyway - i love the rose, which i have always thought of as a snowflake :)

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Thanks WildWing for the info - I now know mine is a T7. I think I might get it a refinish because it needs a new ferrule anyway - i love the rose, which i have always thought of as a snowflake :)

You're welcome. The T series was pretty popular, glad you have one. Would recommend a good melamine for the ferrule replacement, but up to you and your repairman.

All the best,
WW

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
It's put away right now.

These are some pics I have of it next to my Huebler.

Hard to see joint collar but it is a very bronze/brass color. Not polished. More like a brushed finish.
The pin is definitely brass.

Those are two war horses doc, nice to see them.

The Mali is very unusual with that joint/pin combination. I'm sure you've looked hard, but sometimes the original finish went on the joint as well as forearm, and it all gets yellow over time. It's about a 30 year old cue. You sure it's not a yellowed finish on the joint? Obviously, that would not explain the unusual brass pin, but just making sure. Hard to see in the picture.

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those are two war horses doc, nice to see them.

The Mali is very unusual with that joint/pin combination. I'm sure you've looked hard, but sometimes the original finish went on the joint as well as forearm, and it all gets yellow over time. It's about a 30 year old cue. You sure it's not a yellowed finish on the joint? Obviously, that would not explain the unusual brass pin, but just making sure. Hard to see in the picture.

All the best,
WW

I have thought about exactly that and of course looked hard and close. The joint face has the same coloring so I don't think it is yellowed finish. But I could be wrong.

Indeed the brass pin is unusual. If it had the earlier logo I would be less surprised, but with this logo the brass seems very unusual.

It's a very good playing cue and I am happy to own it. I need to haul my Mali cues out and get a picture of them all together some time. I have played them all at various points but they have never all been out together at once.

They were pretty well made and with nice woods.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Mali ID please

Sorry for the bad pics off of Craigslist.

Green Logo - No Box
No Points
Dark Wood/Stain

Could be a T-6?

Is it worth buying?
How Much?

Thank You

Attachments

• IMG_1592.JPG
    IMG_1592.JPG
    40 KB · Views: 892
  • IMG_1593.JPG
    IMG_1593.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 911
Last edited:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for the bad pics off of Craigslist.

Green Logo - No Box
No Points
Dark Wood/Stain

Is it worth buying?
How Much?

Thank You

Jmo, yes old Malis are " collectible " ( as in there seems to be a fair number of people that like them ). I think though most of us that like old Malis is because of how they hit and play more so than anything else. With that said, they still don't seem to fetch a whole Lotta money ... can't recall ever seeing one for sale for more than $200. I'm gonna just guess and say this cue probably should be between $100-$150 tops ?