I am curious to see how people respond to this.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We live in a world, where cheating is the norm, and in many cases is applauded as clever.
The odd thing is that the worst cheaters I ever met , were always outraged and wanted blood, whenever someone cheated them.
Now you aren't just a cheat , but a hypocrite as well.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Is it cheating to state "I am curious to see how people respond to this." without disclosure of the consequence if the response is unacceptable in your opinion?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
So this genius is interested to see how people respond but he gives me a neg because he doesn’t like how I respond hahaha I can give one back for not being discriptive enough in your title that I couldn’t ignore it since that’s what you told me I should have done. :grin-square:

Your response has nothing to do with the question at all.

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This would depend on what the rule is, where you are playing, who you are and what game/equipment is in use. If one person or many people are getting away with the same thing then it's not cheating and if you aren't doing so yourself that's on you not them.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Is it cheating to state "I am curious to see how people respond to this." without disclosure of the consequence if the response is unacceptable in your opinion?

there is no unacceptable answer. :) People feel differently about lots of stuff. :)

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
No, common intentional fouls are within the rules, not breaking them. It is unfortunate that there is a great deal of confusion here about this. I think that confusion was due to the way the original question was posed and the repeated obfuscations following.

Fouling your opponent at basketball to force him to the line is within the rules of basketball, not breaking the rules. Breaking his arm to cut down on his free-throw percentages is probably breaking the rules of basketball.

You are right. I tend to mix "rules" up with 'fouls". There is a big difference. I can't think of any rules I've broken, besides years ago with an occasional "miscue" in a bar.
A miscue isn't a foul or against the rules unless it results in a foul or was done intentionally. Anyway, thanks for setting me straight. Nothing wrong with a smart intentional foul to secure a better position. I use that strategy quite often when needed. But if there's no 3-foul rule I consider it unsportsmanlike to engage in an endless intentional foul mode for the purpose of securing a stalemate or rematch, especially if you had no chance of winning. That's where the 3-foul rule comes in handy. Break that rule and you lose automatically.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are right. I tend to mix "rules" up with 'fouls". There is a big difference. I can't think of any rules I've broken, besides years ago with an occasional "miscue" in a bar.
A miscue isn't a foul or against the rules unless it results in a foul or was done intentionally. Anyway, thanks for setting me straight. Nothing wrong with a smart intentional foul to secure a better position. I use that strategy quite often when needed. But if there's no 3-foul rule I consider it unsportsmanlike to engage in an endless intentional foul mode for the purpose of securing a stalemate or rematch, especially if you had no chance of winning. That's where the 3-foul rule comes in handy. Break that rule and you lose automatically.

Weird though, when some says “let’s play 9-ball” to a person that doesn’t know the game, the other person might ask “what are the rules?” Wouldn’t the answer include hitting the lowest numbered ball first?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not here to prove a point or Argue. I just want to see how people respond to this. I am going ask a non-specific and very general question:

In playing any format of Pool: Is it cheating to intentionally break the rules?

Trent from Toledo
If you know for sure that you fouled on a shot, but your opponent did not see it or did not call it on you for whatever reason, yes, I would consider that cheating if you are not honest enough to call the foul on yourself. I know some people will disagree with this and say it's the opponent's responsibility to know the rules and to pay attention enough to call the foul when they see it, but there are sometimes situations in which on the shooter is the only one knows that they fouled.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Weird though, when some says “let’s play 9-ball” to a person that doesn’t know the game, the other person might ask “what are the rules?” Wouldn’t the answer include hitting the lowest numbered ball first?

Sounds fair to me. I mean I've intentionally fouled in 9ball, like if your opponent locks you up tight. If I can't get the hit then I'm looking to tie the rack up somewhere. It's common strategy.

Rules, instructions, and fouls are commingled. We tend to take advantage of fouling on purpose, ignoring the old concept of "honest effort", ignoring game instructions, favoring a "do whatever it takes not to lose" approach. Maybe that's why there's a 3-foul rule....because so many players break the rules of play in order to avoid losing. So a rule had to be added to account for repeated disregard of playing the game as it was intended to be played per game instructions.

And I like it. Lol. It makes for interesting strategies .:grin:

JasBy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO 'cheating' requires dishonesty or a desire to deceive your opponent. Taking an intentional foul? not cheating. Committing a foul and lying when asked about it? cheating.
Now what is interesting to me is that I am guessing that while most people would agree that lying during a game would make you a dirty cheat, but lying about how well you play in order to get better odds on a bet? Encouraged and celebrated.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
This ain't a pool issue. every sport has it. intentionally hitting batters in baseball, grabbing a jersey to keep a receiver from catching a ball, soccer players taking a dive, fights in hockey, etc.

BTW, all those sports have shady aspects, alcohol and gambling too

i wouldn't call that against the rules....those are all penalized for their actions.....when you actually are cheating you get the big L....some times yes for a bad enough dive or bean ball players do get tossed.....but there are semantics there that i wouldn't call cheating, just smart. You dont throw to the babe with bases loaded lol.....

its no more cheating than jumping the cb and the ob off table in one pocket its not cheating its strategy that does fall into the ruleset

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
In playing any format of Pool: Is it cheating to intentionally break the rules?

Trent from Toledo

I think what you are missing here is the reason this kind of thread rubs people the wrong way. I won't call it trolling because I doubt it is intentional. The issue is that we are made to feel like pawns in your game, manipulated and held in suspense for your amusement or other purposes. It's like the frat boy who says " hey, let's give the cat a beer and see what it does".

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
i wouldn't call that against the rules....those are all penalized for their actions.....when you actually are cheating you get the big L....some times yes for a bad enough dive or bean ball players do get tossed.....but there are semantics there that i wouldn't call cheating, just smart. You dont throw to the babe with bases loaded lol.....

its no more cheating than jumping the cb and the ob off table in one pocket its not cheating its strategy that does fall into the ruleset

You are correct. But imagine this scenario at a track and field race: One runner, while jumping a hurdle, puposely knocks the hurdle over in the adjacent lane hoping to trip up a competitor, or at least slow him/her down. There is a rule against such a strategy, and the penalty is disqualification from the race.

Not playing by the rules is a form of cheating. In some sports it's considered necessary strategy in order to win. In every other aspect of life, not playing by the rules is looked at as underhanded or dirty. But in some sports, the importance of winning overrides personal integrity.

In pool, you can't just roll the cb up against a ball and call it a safety. It's a foul because the rules say a ball must contact a rail after the cb hits the ob. The penalty for breaking the rule is ball in hand for your opponent. Continued disregarded for the rules leads to automatic loss of game or match.

Don't get me wrong....I'm not a big advocate of rules and conformity. But not all sports have accepted or adopted the strategy of intentionally breaking the rules of play in order to win. Should they? I don't know....it'd be interesting to watch hurdle races where the runners could use any means neccessary (short of physical violence) to ensure victory.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
You are correct. But imagine this scenario at a track and field race: One runner, while jumping a hurdle, puposely knocks the hurdle over in the adjacent lane hoping to trip up a competitor, or at least slow him/her down. There is a rule against such a strategy, and the penalty is disqualification from the race.

Not playing by the rules is a form of cheating. In some sports it's considered necessary strategy in order to win. In every other aspect of life, not playing by the rules is looked at as underhanded or dirty. But in some sports, the importance of winning overrides personal integrity.

In pool, you can't just roll the cb up against a ball and call it a safety. It's a foul because the rules say a ball must contact a rail after the cb hits the ob. The penalty for breaking the rule is ball in hand for your opponent. Continued disregarded for the rules leads to automatic loss of game or match.

Don't get me wrong....I'm not a big advocate of rules and conformity. But not all sports have accepted or adopted the strategy of intentionally breaking the rules of play in order to win. Should they? I don't know....it'd be interesting to watch hurdle races where the runners could use any means neccessary (short of physical violence) to ensure victory.

The European distance guys are known. To throw elbows lol.

But the rules of one pocket as such cover the shot I described. And the rule imop is set so that accidental jumps or scratches don’t wind up in a disqualification.

Not unlike sacrificeing a pawn in chess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I think what you are missing here is the reason this kind of thread rubs people the wrong way. I won't call it trolling because I doubt it is intentional. The issue is that we are made to feel like pawns in your game, manipulated and held in suspense for your amusement or other purposes. It's like the frat boy who says " hey, let's give the cat a beer and see what it does".

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I dont really care if it rubs anyone the wrong way. It is a simple question, like it or not.
I posted how I feel about the topic on page 3.
People can answer for themselves.

I am just going to put this right here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheating

Trent from toledo

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
I dont really care if it rubs anyone the wrong way. It is a simple question, like it or not.

I posted how I feel about the topic on page 3.

People can answer for themselves.

I am just going to put this right here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheating

Trent from toledo

So intentionally walking a batter....or the scratch/jump move in one pocket and intentional foul in 14.1 you do or don’t consider those cheating?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you break the rules in pool or any sport and continue to compete undetected,
then you're a immoral individual because cheating at "anything" is absolutely wrong,