14'4" x 18'2", big enough???

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
Here's a spreadsheet "room size calculator" that shows the room sizes needed for different tables and different amounts of stroking room.

It shows that, with a 9-footer, your 14' 4" room width gives you 3" of stroking room per side, but you'd need 18' 6" to get 3" of stroking room on each end (so you'd only have 1" on each end in your room).

But with a full size 8-footer your 14' 4" x 18' 2" room gives you 5" all around.

pj
chgo

Thank you.

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
Thanks everyone for your input. I placed an offer on the house and now waiting to hear back.

If I get the house I'll have to make a decision.... My gut is saying either staying with my 7' or buying a 8'. I think the diamond 8' is 45x90.

My agent said we should her back tomorrow afternoon....

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
it wont be a hassle after all. you have plenty of room. the few times you are frozen to the rail you dont take a big backstroke anyway. just a few inches.

you can put low tables in as you still have room to walk around and use the tables which wont be in the way.

i would have that rather than any 8 foot table any day.

and not worry over the few times you are frozen and also are shooting straight away. if frozen and shooting any angle you still have lots of room.

it wont come up but maybe most once a day where you are tight. and even then on the rail you usually are lifting your butt a little and that helps.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because a 9 footer is worth it when you're only shy of half a foot on each side when frozen on the rail.

Not to me and/or most people I have ever played with. It gets old really quick, especially if you want to have people over to play, places to sit, a table to set something on etc.

I posted the garage diagram and pics of my setup earlier in the thread. I have more space than the OP asked about, and my setup is tight. I have shelving on one side and washer and dryer etc on the other. If I could not elevate an extra inch or 2 to clear them (as in, they were walls, and not minor inconveniences) I would have gone with an 8'.

If all you want is something to hit balls on, I know at least one person who has set up tables in corners where only 2 sides (1 long rail, 1 short rail) were accessible. I personally would not bother, but whatever floats your boat.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If all you want is something to hit balls on, I know at least one person who has set up tables in corners where only 2 sides (1 long rail, 1 short rail) were accessible. I personally would not bother, but whatever floats your boat.

I know I have said that any pool is better than no pool, but i may have to rethink that claim.

bioactive

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am searching, but still asking....

So I am buying a new home, New room is 14'4" x 18'2". I currently have a 7' diamond pro am and know it will fit, BUT, I'm considering selling and buying a diamond 9'...

Opinions? Thanks

You are pretty close to the minimum recommended at billiards,.com = 18.4 X 14.6

Screen%20Shot%202019-01-04%20at%2012.17.18%20PM_zpsvnmvm1ps.png

https://www.billiards.com/pool-table-room-size

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
You are pretty close to the minimum recommended at billiards,.com = 18.4 X 14.6

Screen%20Shot%202019-01-04%20at%2012.17.18%20PM_zpsvnmvm1ps.png

https://www.billiards.com/pool-table-room-size
Whoever did this site needs a new calculator or a walk through on what dimensions really means.

By the simple math for the 9' site, the "minimum dimension" minus the respective space dimension should be the same if you do the length or the width.

Let's examine the 9' info ( 18' 4" x 14' 6" it says)

18' 4" = 220"

220" - 100" = 120"

but

14' 6" = 174"

174" - 50" = 124"

120" does not equal 124".

Silly to put so much effort into a chart that doesn't at least use simple math.

Freddie <~~~ simpleton

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
With your back, I wouldn't be throwing anything.

You're close enough to likely get by with some minimal constraints if you really wanting the 9-footer, but you generally you need a minimum of 14'6" width by 18'8 length" for a 9-foot table. That gives you a 4-inch backstroke if your ball if frozen against either side rail or end rail, and you're stroking perpendicular to the rail.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Here's a spreadsheet "room size calculator" that shows the room sizes needed for different tables and different amounts of stroking room.
Here's another version of the room size calculator that gives the amount of stroking room with different size tables for a room (and cue) with chosen dimensions. To show more accuracy I added 1/2" to the cue length for a bumper.

pj
chgo

Attachments

• Room Size Calculator 2.JPG
    Room Size Calculator 2.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My room is 14'6 x 24.

3.5" available back stroke on a rare occasion that the cb is sitting on the side rail and i'm shooting straight across. Really on those shots, very little back stroke is required. The cue is slightly angled also, so that helps a little more

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Okay kids, one thing to remember if you're working in tight quarters. If you are putting shelves on the wall, the best height is actually table height, maybe 30"-32" from the floor. If you put them up higher (which I've seen a lot of people/places mistakenly do) they will be directly in the path of your cue's back swing. At 30"-32" the butt of your cue will be over the top of them on your back swing.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Oversized 8ft ??

Were you asking what an oversized 8’ table is? It’s bigger than a standard 8’ (44x88) and smallerr than a 9’ (50” x 100”). See PJ’s chart. You’ll see a 46x92 table there.

Freddie <~~~ almost a hero on overized 8 footers

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a GC1 in my basement, I think it was 14'8", but will measure it when I get a

chance. Shooting 90 degrees from the rail happens, but not so much. I say maybe I hit

the wall once every other day with my back swing. The cue is level from the back of the

cushion to the wall. I am happy with the room I have it in. I will see about measuring and

posting some pictures later today.

cbi1000

It is what it is...
Silver Member
Well it looks like i got the house!

I've made my decision. 9' is too big.

So i'm either sticking with my 7' diamond or i'm going to buy the 8' diamond. Playing surface is 45x90. I'm going to measure it out and see if a couple chairs will fit comfortably in the corners. If so, prob go with 8' If not, sticking with 7'

thanks everyone for the input. Very helpful.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I'm going to measure it out and see if a couple chairs will fit comfortably in the corners. If so, prob go with 8' If not, sticking with 7'....
Since you already have a 7', why not install it and upgrade if the space turns out to be more than enough? Or, you may decide you like the elbow and chair room.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Well it looks like i got the house!

I've made my decision. 9' is too big.

So i'm either sticking with my 7' diamond or i'm going to buy the 8' diamond. Playing surface is 45x90. I'm going to measure it out and see if a couple chairs will fit comfortably in the corners. If so, prob go with 8' If not, sticking with 7'

thanks everyone for the input. Very helpful.
Probably doesn't matter, but I believe the playing surface for 8-footers is 44x88 or 46x92. 45x90 is exactly between them.

I think you'll be happy with either.

pj
chgo