Shaft Questions

poolgoddess

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been trying to get this one shaft, what I'll call smooth as glass, with no success.
It has worked in the past, but not with this shaft. Just a few questions. Does maple
shaft wood come in different grades; such as ABC? Do most cue makers use a sealer
on their shafts? If so, can you remove it with sand paper? For a lease 3 times, by hand,
I've used 7 different grades of sand paper, ending with 2500 grit, and as said, with no
success on getting it smooth. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this a new shaft or an old shaft?
That kinda detemines how you should proceed.

tsp&b

Silver Member
I've been trying to get this one shaft, what I'll call smooth as glass, with no success.
Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

SUGGESTION #1 Who made the shaft? Perhaps you may wish to contact the people who made it.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
To answer the question in the OPs post, Yes, the wood used for shafts can come in different grades, that shouldn't really affect how "smooth" you can get the shaft in my opinion. It more affects chance of warping due to consistency quality of the wood I believe.

Everyone else has good questions that if answered they can give you a better idea what you could try. What sort of shaft is it, who made the shaft if it is custom, Has it been sealed ? etc etc.

Good luck.