CBSA - What A Joke !!

JC51534

JC
Silver Member
CBSA ? What A Joke

First of all I respect all the players who have played and the Champions who have won in the annual farce called the Canadian Championships.

But?.
This clueless organization is so far behind the times they still believe that snooker is the game played by most Canadians.

Need a good laugh check out their web site www.cbsa.ca but really lower expectations before you go there

If you wonder why pool in Canada continues to be in such sad shape look no farther than this dinosaur?..

Canadian Pool needs a new organization that at least understands how to update a website before, during and after the so called Canadian Championships!

I blame the CBSA for killing snooker in Canada and now they are well on their way to doing the same thing to 8 ball and 9 ball.

I urge all players to boycott the CBSA and start your own true Canadian Association that gets it!

Last edited:

xxxbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have seen this happen for many years and wish some changes may have taken place by now....... is sad the state of affairs now.
Participation is low, prizes are low, people at the the of the sport seems unconcerned with. Where is the dedication/ love for the sport gone?
Maybe some day soon we get to see some changes, but not before some heads roll down!!
Just my two cents worth of pool
Have a nice day all!!!!!

xxxbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JC51534 said:
CBSA ? What A Joke

First of all I respect all the players who have played and the Champions who have won in the annual farce called the Canadian Championships.

But?.
This clueless organization is so far behind the times they still believe that snooker is game played by most Canadians.

Need a good laugh check out their web site www.cbsa.ca but really lower expectations before you go there

If you wonder why pool in Canada continues to be in such sad shape look no farther than this dinosaur?..

Canadian Pool needs a new organization that at least understands how to update a website before, during and after the so called Canadian Championships!

I blame the CBSA for killing snooker in Canada and now they are well on their way to doing the same thing to 8 ball and 9 ball.

I urge all players to boycott the CBSA and start your own true Canadian Association that gets it!
I''m with you on this bro

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JC51534 said:
CBSA ? What A Joke

But?.
This clueless organization is so far behind the times they still believe that snooker is game played by most Canadians.

If you are more than just hot air, let me know when you start your new organization. Of course you will need to spend from a couple to many hours a week to keep it up and running and organize the championships. You will need a very thick skin because most people will criticize whatever you do and of course, will offer no options for improvement. These same people will never volunteer to help with any of the organization because they expect it to be done for them.

All of the information regarding the Canadians was carried in a timely fashion at snookerline.com and shooterville.com.

I think the organizers and Shooters did a great job and the results were available in a very timely manner. Well done!!

Poolislife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JC51534 said:
CBSA ? What A Joke

But?.
This clueless organization is so far behind the times they still believe that snooker is the game played by most Canadians.

ok, let me get this straight......Pool is in such a sad state of affairs because of CBSA.ca? Yet it was is such great shape before the internet.

Just because you don't know what websites to use for results you are throwing a little fit, lol.

JC51534

JC
Silver Member
Poolislife said:
ok, let me get this straight......Pool is in such a sad state of affairs because of CBSA.ca? Yet it was is such great shape before the internet.

Just because you don't know what websites to use for results you are throwing a little fit, lol.

You to will get wiser as you get older... or shall we disagree on that as well

sly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JC51534 said:
CBSA ? What A Joke

But?.

Tap,Tap,Tap, i'm sure there are more who feel like you do,plenty been the same regime for at least 10 years and turnout going down every year.
entry fees are high, but the money dont find its way into the prize fund. all entry fees at minimum should be in the purse.
having a big event in the middle summer just dont seem like the brightest idea but year after year...... same thing.
with 2 spots to the worlds you would think it'l fill up,never does
the list goes on
rod

xxxbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:wink:
sly said:
Tap,Tap,Tap, i'm sure there are more who feel like you do,plenty been the same regime for at least 10 years and turnout going down every year.
entry fees are high, but the money dont find its way into the prize fund. all entry fees at minimum should be in the purse.
having a big event in the middle summer just dont seem like the brightest idea but year after year...... same thing.
with 2 spots to the worlds you would think it'l fill up,never does
the list goes on
rod
I truly believe that part of the reason behind the obvious decline is due to conflict of interest for the most part.......think about it!!
If one of the exec?s is involved in a buss that caters to pool, then is only logic to try to bring some buss their way, but when the line is crossed over and over as has been in the past with out mentioning names of buss then the results becomes apparent and the players loose interest partly because the regulars from the house have home advantage with the equip
In order to increase attendance certain things must be accommodated, change of venue, places, handicaps, money added, if a tour is considered then it must be run and maintain up to date, share the info with other media like az, inside pool, etc. send the reports so that they in turn may include our local players in their stats. If they keep the info just for themselves then you will run out of fish sooner or later....on the other hand if you share your supply, then you gain their supply as well......need to say more?? :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

srs314

shooterville.com
Well firstly the snooker fields for the open and senior were full and had no available spots so that doesn't seem like they have killed snooker.

The venue has been in three diffierent places in the last three years and it was only in Ontario last year becuase of an issue outwest with the room that was supposed to host it.

You are speaking of an asssociation of volunteers that should be thanked for what they do, let's see what everyone else does for free and to support the game.

If anyone would like to volunteer to run a Canadian Open, get sponsors and not take any money out for themselves let me know.

sly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the only reason it filled was cause it was in ontario, there was quantity but not much quality, some of the guys who play qualify in their province where lower ranked players pay for the spot so it dont cost them that much,but this formula discourages many players,but if you have a group of diehards who play every other week and send their money to cbsa then this is what you get. a volunteer organisation never leads to much, they should volunteer to give the whole assosiation to someone who could get sponsers and take a salary from that, the more that person gets the more he could make,if in the hands of the right people this could be done.
to do nothing all year and once every summer hold a "national championship" and make the players pay for it just dont seem the way to go.

srs314

shooterville.com
I just want to start by saying that my comments are made as the owner of Shooterville and do not come directly from the CBSA.

Local players to the host province are always a majority in the field that's just the way it is. Canada is a large country and flying and staying is not cheap for anyone from out of province.

By the way the CBSA must be a non profit association under the rules of the World Pool Association who is the governing body of pool, money they take covers real expenses.

For example the $25 membership that each player pays goes to the provincial delegate or deleates as compensation for their time and expenses.

Also we are lucky to have a great group of delegates that I know have put alot of that money back to help players with expenses and other support.

You are right that all the fields are not full and that is something to work towards and I think the CBSA will get there. I agree everything was done late this year but the association is off to a better start for next year. They already have the dates, the venue, and new people on the board.

So hopefully your impression of it will change next year.

Last edited:

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I don't know much about promoting events. But what I do know is that, the Canadian Championship venue was not announced until late into this year, qualifiers were not announced until July. As a fan, I would love to attend every year, but how am I expected to make vacation plans if I am not given any notice. I have a similar concern as a player. I didn't even attempt to qualify this year because by the time I found out about the qualifers, I didn't have vacation time available.

The event last year was set up nicely, but the execution seemed lazy to me. The score boards were difficult for spectators to see in the Snooker division and in the Pool the score cards were faced away from the fans. As a fan, I felt like I was an after thought.

During the Snooker final, it was during the match that someone decided to write the game score on a chalk board. During the 9 ball final, Jason Klatt was turning the score card around after each game. It shouldn't be up to one of the players to keep the audience up to date.

Last years event was at the Ottawa Super EX. It was a tremendous opportunity draw spectators who wouldn't have come to the event otherwise. Well, it appears they blew it. During much (if not all, I can't remember) of the Snooker tournament there was absolutely no signs or marking telling anyone where the tournament was. Nevertheless people did manage to find there way to check out the tournament, but since many are not familiar with Snooker or 9 ball, and there was really no way for them to follow the match (no scores, remember?) they quickly left.

They really should have posted the rules of 9 ball and snooker so people could come in and understand what is going on.

The snooker tables played so difficult that it was almost unwatchable. I have to imagine that this also drove some people away.

I enjoyed the performance the players put on, but as I mentioned, the execution of the event was lazy.

P.S. This my opinion of the event, and don't tell me to put on my own events. If a restaurant serves me shit, no one tells me to open up my own restaurant if I don't like it.

srs314

shooterville.com
Cameron,

I agree with much of what you said and it's those things you mention that would truly enhance the event.

The notice of the event location dates and venue will be much earlier as well as qualifiers.

I will take your reccomendations to the association as feedback and look to better the event next year to be more fan friendly.

I can also have members of this association read the comments in this forum with an open mind and make what positive changes they can.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
srs314 said:
Cameron,

I agree with much of what you said and it's those things you mention that would truly enhance the event.

The notice of the event location dates and venue will be much earlier as well as qualifiers.

I will take your reccomendations to the association as feedback and look to better the event next year to be more fan friendly.

I can also have members of this association read the comments in this forum with an open mind and make what positive changes they can.

Thank you. This means a lot.

suel

Registered
For the last 5 years I have sat on the CBSA board and I am very much aware of changes that need to be made and the work involved in making the changes not to mention the finances involved in making the changes.

I totally "get" players' disenchantment with their governing body and we hope in time to improve upon the National Championship, among other issues.

However, there is one issue that I can clarify for you and anybody else out there who likes to talk about the "money". If you are a member of your provincial association, you may ask to see CBSA's financial statements for the past 33 years if you so desire. For a $475 entry fee, $25 comes out for the banquet dinner, which leaves $450, 10%, which is $45 goes towards CBSA, leaving $405 that goes directly into the tournament. There is no other association in the world that takes only 10% from events that they run to keep their associations in existence. Yes it would be nice to have added money in the Nationals, but sponsors are not standing in line to sponsor the "Billiard Game".

I would also like to remind players that CBSA does not exist to fill player's pockets, they are the gateway to International play and becoming a World Champion. As a past Canadian and World Snooker Champion, I am a direct result of efforts put forth by people who have in the past sat on the CBSA board.

Sue Lemaich
Vice President, CBSA

xxxbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
suel said:
For the last 5 years I have sat on the CBSA board and I am very much aware of changes that need to be made and the work involved in making the changes not to mention the finances involved in making the changes.

I totally "get" players' disenchantment with their governing body and we hope in time to improve upon the National Championship, among other issues.

However, there is one issue that I can clarify for you and anybody else out there who likes to talk about the "money". If you are a member of your provincial association, you may ask to see CBSA's financial statements for the past 33 years if you so desire. For a $475 entry fee, $25 comes out for the banquet dinner, which leaves $450, 10%, which is $45 goes towards CBSA, leaving $405 that goes directly into the tournament. There is no other association in the world that takes only 10% from events that they run to keep their associations in existence. Yes it would be nice to have added money in the Nationals, but sponsors are not standing in line to sponsor the "Billiard Game".

I would also like to remind players that CBSA does not exist to fill player's pockets, they are the gateway to International play and becoming a World Champion. As a past Canadian and World Snooker Champion, I am a direct result of efforts put forth by people who have in the past sat on the CBSA board.

Sue Lemaich
Vice President, CBSA
That is part of the problem when you have a bias in the buss of pool, maybe you do not notice the fact you and Scott are partners in the Shooterville.com and protect each other, even when you write articles you protect him and he protects you as seen in this board, never mind the fact you stiffed the 10K director with hes fees and claim to have given same to the waitress from there, besides the fact he had tipped them for one day service with the amount of $ 60.00........you worked at Bobby D's and everything you did was to bring all the tournaments from OBSA to one place because it was your paycheck. That is bias anywhere.....
The enrollmenthave been in decline since you are at the wheel, maybe you need to get some new blood there that has no bias. Good luck if you still work at Bobby D's, but please don't pretend there is nothin wrong.

suel

Registered
xxxbilliards said:
That is part of the problem when you have a bias in the buss of pool, maybe you do not notice the fact you and Scott are partners in the Shooterville.com and protect each other, even when you write articles you protect him and he protects you as seen in this board, never mind the fact you stiffed the 10K director with hes fees and claim to have given same to the waitress from there, besides the fact he had tipped them for one day service with the amount of $ 60.00........you worked at Bobby D's and everything you did was to bring all the tournaments from OBSA to one place because it was your paycheck. That is bias anywhere.....
The enrollmenthave been in decline since you are at the wheel, maybe you need to get some new blood there that has no bias. Good luck if you still work at Bobby D's, but please don't pretend there is nothin wrong.

Well, well Willy, finally crawled out from whatever rock you were hiding under, only to voice your opinions on Scott Soroko and myself being partners and sticking up for each other, how I earned my paycheck at Bobby D's and how you were "Stiffed" at the 10k.

#1. Shooterville is owned and operated by Scott Soroko and no one else. My partnership with him exists solely to bring him advertisers, which the proceeds go directly to helping players. Who would not want to defend a man like that?

#2. I was employed by Bobby D's for 10 years and part of my job was to run a league and host events. Bobby D's held the majority of Ontario qualifiers because they added money to the events which other rooms did not want to do. When they no longer wanted to add any money to the qualifiers, the events went to the rooms that did. Bobby D's owner had no issue whatsoever with me taking qualifiers elsewhere, she was well aware that my duty as a director on OBSA was to find money for player entries and expenses. Thank goodness, my paycheck was safe!

#3. As far as being "Stiffed" by Bobby D's, let us tell the true story. At the very last event for the 10K, you decided to change a few rules which were not yours to change. I am sure that you and all the players that were there, remember the chaos that was caused on that day. The room owner of Bobby D's only wanted the rules that were in place from day 1 to stay the same for the final event, that was the fair and right thing to happen, but unfortunately that was not what happened.
When the 3 "Original" room owners met to discuss Year 2 of the 10K, I advised the room owner(after all I had to earn my paycheck)to request the following changes: A committee of 3 be formed to deal with "handicaps"
The "Tournament Director" would only run the tournament
All "monies" be handled by the 3 owners
48 Hours later, Kenny Chen informed us that we would no longer be part of the 10K.
As far as your "fee" not being paid that day of the final event, it was decided by the owner and myself, that the extra $25 you tacked on to all entries on that day, was enough pay.

Likewise Willy, I wish you the "BEST OF LUCK" in the future and all the players that choose to play in events that you run.

xxxbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
suel said:
Well, well Willy, finally crawled out from whatever rock you were hiding under, only to voice your opinions on Scott Soroko and myself being partners and sticking up for each other, how I earned my paycheck at Bobby D's and how you were "Stiffed" at the 10k.

#1. Shooterville is owned and operated by Scott Soroko and no one else. My partnership with him exists solely to bring him advertisers, which the proceeds go directly to helping players. Who would not want to defend a man like that?

#2. I was employed by Bobby D's for 10 years and part of my job was to run a league and host events. Bobby D's held the majority of Ontario qualifiers because they added money to the events which other rooms did not want to do. When they no longer wanted to add any money to the qualifiers, the events went to the rooms that did. Bobby D's owner had no issue whatsoever with me taking qualifiers elsewhere, she was well aware that my duty as a director on OBSA was to find money for player entries and expenses. Thank goodness, my paycheck was safe!

#3. As far as being "Stiffed" by Bobby D's, let us tell the true story. At the very last event for the 10K, you decided to change a few rules which were not yours to change. I am sure that you and all the players that were there, remember the chaos that was caused on that day. The room owner of Bobby D's only wanted the rules that were in place from day 1 to stay the same for the final event, that was the fair and right thing to happen, but unfortunately that was not what happened.
When the 3 "Original" room owners met to discuss Year 2 of the 10K, I advised the room owner(after all I had to earn my paycheck)to request the following changes: A committee of 3 be formed to deal with "handicaps"
The "Tournament Director" would only run the tournament
All "monies" be handled by the 3 owners
48 Hours later, Kenny Chen informed us that we would no longer be part of the 10K.
As far as your "fee" not being paid that day of the final event, it was decided by the owner and myself, that the extra $25 you tacked on to all entries on that day, was enough pay.

Likewise Willy, I wish you the "BEST OF LUCK" in the future and all the players that choose to play in events that you run.
It was 15 not 25 for the finals fee, you charge 25 as membership....correct?......and the owners had their approval at the meeting of the changes a week before the finals.....just clearing the air
Have a nice day and good luck Sue L

srs314

shooterville.com
Though I appreciate that everyone has an opinion I think this discussion is doing nothing positive for the players and the game. Maybe we can take this negative energy and put it towards constructive ideas for the future.

The CBSA are aware of this forum and not just Sue as I have explained to them within all the complaining are some good points to consider.

It is my hope that things keep getting better, there are also new members with new ideas on the board which is one issue that's been raised.

The CBSA has the lead time this year to make this event really great with more players than ever.

Also they will have a new updated web site with much more information and coverage on it this year.

Personally I am excited about this coming year for the Canadian Championships.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
Out of curiosity, is the CBSA actively looking for sponsors?

If sponsors are not interested in Canadian Pool or Snooker at the moment perhaps a priority should be discussing what needs to be done to make pool and snooker more attractive to sponsors.