Who is the best 8-ball and 9-ball player(s) in Calgary?

seether

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice

My top three picks in order

Edwin
PJ
Dave M

Verry nice ,but I think that Edmonton has the best players.Which are
Glen Collins
Gilles Richards
Dan Hathaway
Erny Day
and the guy they call the super green man.

Last edited:

SpinDoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And to answer the original question, having played against most of them my vote goes for Edwin. After Edwin, it becomes a lot less clear because there are a ton of great bar box players there including:

PJ
Junior
Nick Kruger
Paul Richens
Jeremy Smith
Abou
and lots more

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about Bin, a Chinese who was born in Canada. Anyone knows of him?

Ben and I have played a few times, he is good, but not up there with the other three. Ben is really good at 8 ball.

Nick, I think lives in BC. I played him at the CCS westerns a couple years ago, another great player. He would be close to the top 3.

Top 3 in Alberta, I would pick Edwin, Tyler and Rob P.

Calgaryplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ben and I have played a few times, he is good, but not up there with the other three. Ben is really good at 8 ball.

Nick, I think lives in BC. I played him at the CCS westerns a couple years ago, another great player. He would be close to the top 3.

Top 3 in Alberta, I would pick Edwin, Tyler and Rob P.

Not Ben, it's Bin. I know who you are talking about. Ben was from HK with a bald head, right? Bin is not active anymore, but he still runs a 8-ball tourment every Thursday night at Ranchman. He was a pro for a couple of years about 10 years ago according to what he said.

kanecalgary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Edwin, Russ Whittle then PJ. They can be found at mikes on most sundays. Also JR'S now has a open saturday touney on diamond tables with new simonis that will be the new tourney the top players play at.

kanecalgary

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Other notable players include- Billy T, Vino, Ozzy, Bjornstad, Kirkland, Mikkelsen, Jorgensen, Lloyd A.

Calgaryplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Edwin, Russ Whittle then PJ. They can be found at mikes on most sundays. Also JR'S now has a open saturday touney on diamond tables with new simonis that will be the new tourney the top players play at.

I went JR's, nice Diamond tables. happy finally got the place aside Mike's have all good players there.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Other notable players include- Billy T, Vino, Ozzy, Bjornstad, Kirkland, Mikkelsen, Jorgensen, Lloyd A.

Lloyd is an often forgoten player in Calgary due to the amount of pool he plays. The guy is crazy good though, IMO despite the limited amount he plays he is a top 5 player in the city. IMO he would be a threat to win the Canadian 8 or 9-ball championships were he to actually bother trying.

Top 5 guys in Calgary IMO not in order.

Edwin
PJ
Abou
Lloyd
Ozzy or Whittle

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lloyd is an often forgoten player in Calgary due to the amount of pool he plays. The guy is crazy good though, IMO despite the limited amount he plays he is a top 5 player in the city. IMO he would be a threat to win the Canadian 8 or 9-ball championships were he to actually bother trying.

Top 5 guys in Calgary IMO not in order.

Edwin
PJ
Abou
Lloyd
Ozzy or Whittle

You wouldn't put Dave M in the mix? The guy has won the Canadian 8 ball and in the finals a couple other times. I would put Bill ahead of Ozzy. hard to pick hough, so many good players.

supergreenman

truly addicted
Silver Member
Verry nice ,but I think that Edmonton has the best players.Which are
Glen Collins
Gilles Richards
Dan Hathaway
Erny Day
and the guy they call the super green man.

Oh please, take me off that list.

In fact, there's really only 1 person there that should be a list like this and that's Gilles. And not at the top either.

Last edited:

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
PJ = Peter??

No, PJ = PJ Masicotte, you would not hear of him by another name.

You wouldn't put Dave M in the mix? The guy has won the Canadian 8 ball and in the finals a couple other times.

I would not put Dave in there atm, he does not play at all anymore and has not put serious effort into the game for a few years now. He could still get back to the top with some effort, but atm he is not there and does not seem to care much about it. Maybe his new tourney on Saturdays at Jr's will get his blood going again. Would be nice, when Dave was actually serious and playing he was a monster, only Edwin and Tyler were better then Dave when he was taking it seriously and not by much.

Best bar box 8-ball I ever saw in my life was Bernie back in the mid 90's. He did not have to lose to anyone in the world back then in a long 8-ball race on the box. Bernie of that era was more then anyone in Calgary today would want a piece of.

Is Steve Cherewyk still playing in Calgary ?

Not on the Machine this year for some reason and in no other league I have seen. Steve is an unreal player, especially bar box 8-ball, did not think about him but it is hard to not count him in the top 5 in 8-ball.

SpinDoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh please, take me off that list.

In fact, there's really only 1 person there that should be a list like this and that's Gilles. And not at the top either.

I think whoever it was that posted that list has had very limited exposure to the pool scene here in Edmonton. I agree that the best on that list is Gilles and that his game has improved lately but, to be honest, he would be very hard pressed to crack the top 25 players in Edmonton let alone the top 5.