Straight Pool
Break shots:
A. Speed
B. Cue ball contact point
Pattern play:
A. After break shot - open corner pockets and plan to breakout clusters
B. Set up for break shot last few balls
Safety Play

Eight time world Champion Nick Varner teaches a small class limited to 6 students at $200 per student, the finer points of Straight Pool at Red Shoes Billiards in Alsip, Illinois on Monday October 24, 2016 from 11:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.

Nick has a 14.1 high run of 337 and won the 1980 ~World Open14.1~ (PPPA), the1986 ~World Championship 14.1~(PPPA), and countless big 14.1 matches which can be seen on Accu-states tapes. He has been inducted into the One Pocket Hall of Fame, the Banks Hall of Fame, and the BCA Hall of Fame, and would have been inducted into the Straight Pool Hall of Fame this year, but he could not make the ceremony and asked to be taken out of the running.He is one of the best all around players of all time. http://www.nickvarner.com/about-nick

Monday October 24, 2016
11:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.

Straight Pool
Break shots:
A. Speed
B. Cue ball contact point
Pattern play:
A. After break shot - open corner pockets and plan to breakout clusters
B. Set up for break shot last few balls
Safety Play

Eight time world Champion Nick Varner teaches a small class limited to 6 students at $200 per student, the finer points of Straight Pool at Red Shoes Billiards in Alsip, Illinois on Monday October 24, 2016 from 11:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m.

Nick has a 14.1 high run of 337 and won the 1980 ~World Open14.1~ (PPPA), the1986 ~World Championship 14.1~(PPPA), and countless big 14.1 matches which can be seen on Accu-states tapes. He has been inducted into the One Pocket Hall of Fame, the Banks Hall of Fame, and the BCA Hall of Fame, and would have been inducted into the Straight Pool Hall of Fame this year, but he could not make the ceremony and asked to be taken out of the running.He is one of the best all around players of all time. http://www.nickvarner.com/about-nick
To reserve a spot, paypal or pay direct to Red Shoes or to Dennis Walsh at gwtlaw@aol.com.

Red Shoes Billiards
12009 S. Pulaski Road
Alsip, Illinios 60803
(708) 388-3700
http://www.redshoesbilliards.com/
To reserve a spot, paypal or pay direct to Red Shoes or to Dennis Walsh at gwtlaw@aol.com.

Red Shoes Billiards
12009 S. Pulaski Road
Alsip, Illinios 60803
(708) 388-3700
http://www.redshoesbilliards.com/

Attachments

• banner 2.jpg
    banner 2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 363
  • rscivilian side.jpg
    rscivilian side.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 361
  • VARNER2.jpg
    VARNER2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 417

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are there any good videos of Nick playing 14.1? Honestly, I can't ever remember seeing one. Can't find much out there with Mizerak either.

bral

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are there any good videos of Nick playing 14.1? Honestly, I can't ever remember seeing one. Can't find much out there with Mizerak either.

[Note: On reading what I just wrote, I realize I wrote this thinking you were asking about DVDs, not videos online. Perhaps this will still be useful]

Instructional or match videos? He's a very good player, and Accu-stats should have more than a few videos of him in their catalog. I remember someone writing that he was particularly good at table management.

I know he did an instructional series with Buddy Hall, that covered 9-ball, one-pocket and straight pool. The straight pool DVD was all Varner - essentially a 100-ball run in which he did commentary as he ran the rack (i.e. not audio laid down later) pretty good stuff. Googled it - "The Legends Instructional DVD series", the straight pool DVD - you can find it on this: http://www.teachmepool.com/Products.htm

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[Note: On reading what I just wrote, I realize I wrote this thinking you were asking about DVDs, not videos online. Perhaps this will still be useful]

Instructional or match videos? He's a very good player, and Accu-stats should have more than a few videos of him in their catalog. I remember someone writing that he was particularly good at table management.

I know he did an instructional series with Buddy Hall, that covered 9-ball, one-pocket and straight pool. The straight pool DVD was all Varner - essentially a 100-ball run in which he did commentary as he ran the rack (i.e. not audio laid down later) pretty good stuff. Googled it - "The Legends Instructional DVD series", the straight pool DVD - you can find it on this: http://www.teachmepool.com/Products.htm

Thanks! I never even thought of checking Accu-stats. I don't have much for instructional videos or books here, so I don't even really much know what's out there other than what I luck upon online. :)

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Last edited:

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member

What's the show match against Grady like, Dennis? Worth getting? That one's flown under my radar so far.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member

I'll never forget when back in the 80s, Varner was hired to perform a trick shot show at the Huebler Cup in Basel: at the end of it, seeing the pool-loving spectators were cheering for more, he put on that sly face and asked wryly if we wanted to see a 100-Ball run in Straight Pool. It seemed like a joke. Actually, I'm still wondering to this day if it wasn't at least 1% tongue-in-cheek. I was in my late teens back then and unaware that Mosconi apparently did this at every Brunswick pool hall opening he was hired for, and never failed to run three digits. Not only did Nicky pull it off on the first try, he leisurely talked us through the whole run (probably unaware half the audience was hardly able to follow his trademark Kentuckian dialect), shot for shot.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
What's the show match against Grady like, Dennis? Worth getting? That one's flown under my radar so far.

David: It's been so long since I looked at it. I remember I was happy I found it.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member

Thanks for the info. I had never heard of this 100 ball run with commentary by Nick. I just ordered and look forward to watching it.

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Thanks for the info. I had never heard of this 100 ball run with commentary by Nick. I just ordered and look forward to watching it.

Saw that, too, looks enticing (almost as much as a certain someone's food pics, LOL!).

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
I think that was before the curly hair style.

Back when he was still lifting weights! :thumbup:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone have any feedback and pics on the seminar Nick put on this past Monday?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
Anyone have any feedback and pics on the seminar Nick put on this past Monday?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I regret being late with my comment, just been busy. I attended Nick's 14.1 seminar and found it very helpful. Afterwards I said to Dennis Walsh that if Nick does three seminars next year at Red Shoes like he did this year (one pocket, fundamentals and 14.1), I will fly up from Florida to attend all three. That's what I think of Nick's seminars.

The main areas of instruction on 14.1 were pattern play, break shots and safeties. I've been playing 14.1 in league play for years and I learned how to analyze break shots and think through safety play better than I have been.

In addition to 14.1 Nick covered other areas that the attendees wanted some help on - in my case my stance and stroke. Nick is helpful in correcting problems with fundamentals but he is not "authoritarian" about technique - his attitude is "If it works for you keep doing it." This came up in a discussion about the "touch of inside" technique promoted by CJ Wiley that one of the attendees was devoted to. Although Nick doesn't like to use inside english except when absolutely necessary he encouraged this guy to keep doing it since it seems to work for him. In my case he advised me to use a shorter bridge for better control and I am experimenting with it to see if it helps. I think it will.

Apart from the instruction itself it's really something to hear a legend like Nick talk about players from the past, other legends that he knew and idolized when he was young. One tidbit was about Luther Lassiter, that his pattern play was not as good as Crane or Balsis but his shotmaking ability was so strong that he became the best straight pool player of his era (the 60's). It would be great to hang out with Nick sometime just to hear more. Bottom line - in my opinion Nick's seminar is well worth the fee if you can afford it.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks a ton, Rich93, for the great feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk