Foot contact with floor
Old
  (#1)
Triggerhippy
AzB Bronze Member
Triggerhippy is on a distinguished road
 
Triggerhippy's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Champaignanabru
   
Foot contact with floor - 02-07-2020, 04:08 PM

Consider this:

Your teammate is breaking in the case game of your league’s championship match. He crushes it, sending several balls to holes, leaving what appears to be an easy out for the win. A member of the opposite team jumps out of his chair, loudly declaring, “foul! He didn’t have at least one foot on the floor!”
As it turns out, that player was video recording the break, and sure enough, upon review of the footage (no pun intended), it is indeed quite evident that, a la DeLuna, both of the breaker’s feet were well off the floor. The referee (who’s never liked you anyway cuz of that thing with his ex-wife) declares a foul, awarding the other team ball in hand.
Is this a possible scenario?
To anyone’s knowledge has this ever happened?
When a breaker entirely leaves the floor like this does termination of contact only occur AFTER contact with the cueball?
Enquiring minds wanna know.


”Well, at least you had a nice bird’s-eye view of it not going in.”
Mikey V

Some of my best friends are cheese.
  
Reply With Quote

Old
  (#2)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 17,395
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
   
02-07-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerhippy View Post
...
When a breaker entirely leaves the floor like this does termination of contact only occur AFTER contact with the cueball?
Enquiring minds wanna know.
The rule says that a foot has to be in contact with the floor at the instant of tip-ball contact. Maybe it needs to be revised to say that it is a foul only if the table is supporting the majority of the player's weight.


Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
Triggerhippy
AzB Bronze Member
Triggerhippy is on a distinguished road
 
Triggerhippy's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Champaignanabru
   
02-07-2020, 06:52 PM

An interesting distinction.
Also cool that you are the first one to reply. I remember watching some of your old videos where you make some crazy, seemingly impossible shots and noticed you’re the only person I’ve ever seen with the same grey leather butterfly case that I’ve had for a couple decades.
Thank you for your reply.


”Well, at least you had a nice bird’s-eye view of it not going in.”
Mikey V

Some of my best friends are cheese.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
Bob Jewett
AZB Osmium Member
Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 17,395
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
   
02-07-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerhippy View Post
An interesting distinction.
Also cool that you are the first one to reply. I remember watching some of your old videos where you make some crazy, seemingly impossible shots and noticed you’re the only person I’ve ever seen with the same grey leather butterfly case that I’ve had for a couple decades.
Thank you for your reply.
That case fell apart some time ago. I now have a black cloth butterfly case.

At one point the BCA rules were revised to "clarify" the hoof-in-the-hay rule. The new wording was broken and actually said that you were allowed to have only one foot in contact with the floor during the shot. I think that lasted a couple of years before better rhetoricians prevailed.


Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#5)
Triggerhippy
AzB Bronze Member
Triggerhippy is on a distinguished road
 
Triggerhippy's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Champaignanabru
   
02-07-2020, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
That case fell apart some time ago. I now have a black cloth butterfly case.

At one point the BCA rules were revised to "clarify" the hoof-in-the-hay rule. The new wording was broken and actually said that you were allowed to have only one foot in contact with the floor during the shot. I think that lasted a couple of years before better rhetoricians prevailed.
That’s funny.


”Well, at least you had a nice bird’s-eye view of it not going in.”
Mikey V

Some of my best friends are cheese.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute
 
hang-the-9's Avatar
 
Status: Online
Posts: 10,959
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: MA
   
02-10-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerhippy View Post
Consider this:

Your teammate is breaking in the case game of your league’s championship match. He crushes it, sending several balls to holes, leaving what appears to be an easy out for the win. A member of the opposite team jumps out of his chair, loudly declaring, “foul! He didn’t have at least one foot on the floor!”
As it turns out, that player was video recording the break, and sure enough, upon review of the footage (no pun intended), it is indeed quite evident that, a la DeLuna, both of the breaker’s feet were well off the floor. The referee (who’s never liked you anyway cuz of that thing with his ex-wife) declares a foul, awarding the other team ball in hand.
Is this a possible scenario?
To anyone’s knowledge has this ever happened?
When a breaker entirely leaves the floor like this does termination of contact only occur AFTER contact with the cueball?
Enquiring minds wanna know.
I have had quite a few times when I slipped after a shot I was stretching for and both feet left the table after the shot on the follow through, never had anyone call a foul on that. Does seem something like a league player would try to call a foul on though LOL seems half of them are just worried about handicaps and the other half are trying to win by messing with the rules.


"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!
  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.