Have few memories of steve

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am saddened by the news.Pool lost a legend.I knew a Steve very well.My condolences to karen.
Approximately 10 years ago I was in Mothers in Charlotte playing Gene the Machine.Steve sat there for 10-15 minutes watching our game.I did a poor job on driving an object ball three rails and hide the cue behind a ball that was frozen to the side rail.He immediately said ``this is not how u used to play``. `` are u not playing much?`` I considered that as a compliment from a Meistro

Last edited:

Sieben

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Memories of Steve Mizerak

My condolences For the family of Mr Mizerak, I first met Steve at the first King of Prussia Tournment ,Im playing the amature 9ball and having difficulties with a particular shot. The pro,s had practice tables and Im watching Steve practice, when he finished , I asked him if he could show me the shot I was having trouble with. He not only showed me the shot,but let me shoot it with his stick & spent a 1/2 hrs showing me how to shoot it,I will never forget him for this kind gesture, meeting him over the years he always had time to say hello and give autographs when asked.To me he was not only a true professional,but most important a kind and generous human being. "Thanks Miz" RIP

jungledude

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A great player and person

I'm very sorry to hear that "The Miz" has passed on. My condolences to Karen and the rest of Steve's family and friends, we have lost a great person, who almost single handedly kept the Senior Tour alive. God Bless, he'll surely be missed by many.

sharandrew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Miz

Years ago, 1985, I attended my first big tournament the Miller Lite Tournament. The Miz had a challenge area where people stood in line to play the Hall of Famer a game of pool. I think it was five dollars to play. I paid and stood in that line, as I was a green horn pool player and thirsty to play. He was beating most. Losing about one in ten. I won my challenge game against him. I felt pretty good to beat the Miz needless to say. 7 Years later, the Miz came to town to do a pool trick shot exhibition for the Southland Corporation. This was a special business convention only for people of the Southland Corporation. Myself and a friend, heard about it and went there to sneak in We posed as managers and they bought it. While in the convention room I went up to Steve and started a conversation with him, yes about pool. I told him jokingly we played before and that he has never beat me a game of pool not one I told him the Miller Lite story. Moments later Miz started his trick shot exhibition. A lot of cool shots. After words he played some of the big shots in attendance as part of the exhibition. After playing about 5-6 people he announced boldly “I want you” and pointed at me. Said this in front of about 50-60 people. He racked said “you can have the break”. We played that game and I happen to win. We played again I broke and ran out, in one of those games nothing was easy. I kicked balls in, masse them, and even had a three rail shot on the 8 ball. The whole time the Miz tried to shark me everyone was having fun.The crowed was very interested in this chain of events and of course added to the event. In the third game the Miz, up staged had put on a show he ran out in just as wild a fashion as i did it, but left himself long bank shape on the 8 ball. He banked it and was missing it badly so he guided it in with the butt end of his cue to win. He said get out of here kid! I can say The Miz never beat me. The crowd laughed. The Miz was a great showman.

Last edited:

cueball1950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This really saddenen's me. it was just last year at the U S Open tribute that i got my last autograph from Steve. and it was on an older picture. when Steve saw the picture he told me. boy....that was many years and many pounds ago.

another fond memory i had was when i asked steve a couple of years earlier where the best place to eat was and he just said...thats easy... just follow the fat guy...me i only eat in the best places. and he was right. he went to this seafood place right on the water in virginia beach...keep stroking my friend..and watch out up there for ervilino and don't give him any weight. and tell all the others we say hay....................mike

Voodoo Daddy

One Pocket 101
The Miz

I met Steve in the mid 80's and he was always very playful and quick-witted...I actually got to play him in a Florida tour event, I was outclassed and we both knew it but he never made me feel outta place. Last time I saw him was in Va Beach during the US Open 2005. He and Karen were going across the parking lot and he tried to run me over with the wheelchair he was driving:D ...always playful. The tribute the Barry did for him that Saturday night was a offering of true respect for this legendary person.

You always made me laugh, we had some fun times. With tears in my eyes...I'm gonna miss you Steve

buck15

going broke! got there!
Silver Member
the miz

i never knew him but i sure do remember seeing him.i watched a match he played against one of my heros,cornbread red.that was at the troy hilton at a mcdernott tour in troy michigan.he was a class act.i saw him many times on t.v.the last time i saw him in person was at the 94 us open.i made a wager on his match with strickland.he won.i won,and i shook his hand.the world in general will miss a person like that.my prayers are with the family.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
One of the constants I have had in my world over the past 35 years is the presence of Steve Mizerak in my life. As a young player growing up in New Jersey, he was definitely one of my idols. It was unimaginable that we would become friends. The first time I met Steve, I was 14 years old and awestruck. He was the quintessential pool player, a true gentleman, and he had a fantastic sense of humor. About a year ago, some of us were lucky enough to be there when The Miz and Jean Balukas were present at the WPBA Cuetec Classic in Hollywood, Florida. Even with all of his his physical problems, he was there greeting fans with a smile, and he was even gracious enough to sign some memorabilia for Seminole Sports Management. This was memorabilia that Eydie Romano, Daytona Joe, and I would auction off to raise money for Vivian's Kidz. The Miz had a heart of gold that was bigger than he was. The last time I saw Steve was in January. He had been in the hospital for quite some time. He was extremely tired, but in his eyes you could still see the old Miz.

Today my heart goes out to Steve's family, and the entire pool world. I am saddened by his death, but grateful that his suffering has ended. It is appropriate that the 14.1 World Chamionships would start today, in the Miz's homestate of New Jersey, where the pool world could reflect on their memories of The Miz. When I reflect back on my memories of The Miz, I will not only remember a great pool player, I will remember a great person that was always willing to talk with people and share a laugh or two. To me, The Miz was more than just a pool player - even if he was just showin' off.

miz1.jpg

KBP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Miz

My husband Tim Higgins and I met Steve in the early 80's during the Pro Billiards Tour events. Tim was playing in these events and I was accompaning him. We have a lot of great memories of Steve and Karen during that time. Steve always had time to talk to us and laugh with us. My daughter Karen, who was called heartbreaker by Steve, had lunch with him at one of the events. He was a wonderful person, great pool player and will be greatly missed in our industry. My thoughts and prayers go to his family.
Kay