1890's BBC Narragansett tables

commswatch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good Morning, does anyone have any playing experience with a BBC Narragansett from the 1890's? I just picked one up - sight unseen - and hoping my assumption on play quality holds up to life when I get it installed in Sept. Pockets shimmed with simonis. Any info?? historians?

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Overall it's a good quality and good looking table, the design, although somewhat simple, was so popular at the time that almost every major table maker copied it in some form or another.

Over the decades, like all well-used tables, they can develop a bit of a wiggle in the legs, so if you are present during the install just keep your eyes and ears open for it. You would want to deal with it sooner rather than later.

Also there is the issue of the older cushion profile. Modern cushions will fit on antiques but the nose height will probably not be correct, so the subrail needs to be modified to correct for this. Again you will want to deal with it sooner rather than finding out later that you are launching balls into the wall every time you break a rack. Been there done that:cool:

Enjoy the table, antiques are awesome..oh boy the stories they could tell

Mr. Bass Man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just set mine up a couple weeks ago, it had been updated in 1983 with new rubber and set to a modern profile, plays awesome. The design of the legs on these tables does allow the table to shift slightly if you lean on it, it's only got a lag bolt no pins. Most of the tables post 1900 had dowels and a lag bolt which stabilizes the table much better. Ironically I bought mine sight unseen also, great find I'm sure you'll enjoy it :)

commswatch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All good info to have! The table was professionally refinished in the early 90's, and sat in a dedicated residential pool room till 2005ish. I'm thinking the rails would have been modified accordingly to accept todays rails, but the guy who's coming in to install the table should be able to advise on that. Been waiting 30 years to be in a position to build my billiard room addition....hoping this table meets my expectations.

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As previously said, have the sud rails rebuilt or checked, use Brunswick super speed rubber and Simonis 860 HR. I have a Non Paraliel Novelry, search it as it was posted in a thread. It is non stored in a spare room, but the table played and plays, lights out. Check the height of your slate off the floor. I bet it is 3" higher than today's standard. I think that era was 34" vs 31". They are very comfortable for you back. Enjoy!