There are great aiming/kicking /banking systems ,
based on the diamonds-
Those pros really know their stuff

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
The shot is a 3 rail kick shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ-wou1X5uA&t=23m35s

Is he aiming that by feel? Or, using a diamond system?

One pocket players shoot 3 railers all the time. They come to know the
pathway to the pocket well enough that the diversion from that path is possible which in
this case he adjusted to make the second rail point to hit nearer to the pocket. That
shot wasn't a typical 3 railer to the pocket. Shoot a few of them and you'll feel the
adjustments you can make. No need to make it over technical.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shot is a 3 rail kick shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ-wou1X5uA&t=23m35s

Is he aiming that by feel? Or, using a diamond system?

He did this:

1. Found cb value......it was 4.5 to 4.5.....to pocket!

2. Estimated adjustment needed to hit ob. (Since ob was partly blocked by 4 ball, he decide to go off end rail. To do that, all he did was add 1.5 diamonds to end rail target)

3. Since end target is not the pocket, he adjusted by taking dividing the 1.5 end rail calculation by 2. That put him at 5.25 diamonds on cb end rail. He decided to not use much speed or spin so, he had to take .25 diamond off the cb value which left him at:

Shoot directly down trackline 5 at cb end rail.

It's not a hard ball to hit. Not in the least.

There are several diamond systems that make "just hitting" balls extremely easy.

The hard part isn't hitting the ball, the hard part is "where the ob/cb end up after the shot".....in other words, "will I sell out"?

Jeff

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Came to say this^^

I'll either hit the OB on the top side or the bottom off the rail. Feel for me as as well
It can be done either way, but I'm thinking he must have tried to hit it on top (2 rails) to give himself the chance to get lucky and make it in the corner - I think it's a simpler shot and there's no reliable safety the other way.

pj
chgo

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The “plus 2” system is used here. CB is near the side rail, kicking off the end rail.

Notice the number of diamonds from the butt of his cue to the 2nd rail contact point is roughly 5 diamonds. If you aim for the center of the end rail, with right English, the CB will contact the 2nd rail 5 diamonds away from the butt.

The shot goes a little long, hitting 5.5 diamonds away. Maybe he knew the table would play long. Or maybe he used a little less right English. Or maybe he got a little lucky.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The “plus 2” system is used here. CB is near the side rail, kicking off the end rail.

Notice the number of diamonds from the butt of his cue to the 2nd rail contact point is roughly 5 diamonds. If you aim for the center of the end rail, with right English, the CB will contact the 2nd rail 5 diamonds away from the butt.

The shot goes a little long, hitting 5.5 diamonds away. Maybe he knew the table would play long. Or maybe he used a little less right English. Or maybe he got a little lucky.
Lately, I've been practicing the Plus 2 system described in Dr. Dave's videos. To me, it looks like Ouschan is aiming along the 4->5 line (fourth diamond on right side rail, i.e. the side pocket, and the diamond labeled #5 on the end rail(the center diamond)). According to the system, that means the cue ball will hit the right side rail 5 diamonds up table from the 4th diamond on the right side rail, which is one diamond beyond the top right corner pocket. The "one diamond beyond the top right corner pocket" is what I don't understand. Do you need to visualize the right side rail extending beyond the top right corner pocket, then visualize where the cue ball will intersect the top rail on its way to the "one diamond beyond the top right corner pocket"?

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Lately, I've been practicing the Plus 2 system described in Dr. Dave's videos. To me, it looks like Ouschan is aiming along the 4->5 line (fourth diamond on side rail, i.e. the side pocket, and the diamond labeled #5 on the end rail. According to the system, that means the cue ball will hit the side rail 5 diamonds up table from the 4th diamond on the side rail, which is one beyond the pocket. The "one beyond the pocket" is what I don't understand. Do you need to visualize the side rail extending beyond the pocket, then visualize where the cue ball will intersect the top rail on its way to the "one diamond beyond the pocket"?
Yes.

pj
chgo

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It can be done either way, but I'm thinking he must have tried to hit it on top (2 rails) to give himself the chance to get lucky and make it in the corner - I think it's a simpler shot and there's no reliable safety the other way.

pj
chgo

The 2 ball was extremely easy to hit from behind off the end rail....very easy because the ball was huge from that direction being close the rail.

Trying to make it was a "hail mary" and I doubt he missed the two rail kick so bad he hit it in the back of the head.....very unlikely.

Like i said, it was not a hard ball to hit but, it was a hard ball to kick-safe.

Anyone that thinks that ball was hard to "just hit"....well, they need to spend a lot more time kicking.

Jeff

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It sure looks like he's aiming at a specific point on the rail. If so, he's using the Diamond system and he hits the ball flush.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This.

Notice his tip placement on the ball, he is hitting close to the vertical center line, if not right on it. He stretched the angle out with less spin to come in under the ball.

The reasoning in my mind, also included avoiding the 6, as spinning the ball with right would open the angle off the first rail, bringing whitey closer to the 6. I think even with the 4 there, if the 6 wasnt there, he might not have opted to come in behind the 3.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He did this:

1. Found cb value......it was 4.5 to 4.5.....to pocket!

2. Estimated adjustment needed to hit ob. (Since ob was partly blocked by 4 ball, he decide to go off end rail. To do that, all he did was add 1.5 diamonds to end rail target)

3. Since end target is not the pocket, he adjusted by taking dividing the 1.5 end rail calculation by 2. That put him at 5.25 diamonds on cb end rail. He decided to not use much speed or spin so, he had to take .25 diamond off the cb value which left him at:

Shoot directly down trackline 5 at cb end rail.

It's not a hard ball to hit. Not in the least.

There are several diamond systems that make "just hitting" balls extremely easy.

The hard part isn't hitting the ball, the hard part is "where the ob/cb end up after the shot".....in other words, "will I sell out"?

Jeff

1. Where do you get "4.5 to 4.5"?

2. Where does "1.5 diamonds" come from?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Where do you get "4.5 to 4.5"?

2. Where does "1.5 diamonds" come from?

4.5 = cb value (before adjustment) 4.5 would go to pocket. Adjusting (pivot) to 5 moves trackline to target behind ob.

1.5 diamonds out from corner pocket behind ob is new target

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4.5 = cb value (before adjustment) 4.5 would go to pocket. Adjusting (pivot) to 5 moves trackline to target behind ob.

1.5 diamonds out from corner pocket behind ob is new target
Why isn't the cb value 6 or 2.5?

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Where the cue crossed over the rail wasn't directly over the side pocket. It's pretty close to 5.5

You and I would have used the plus 2 but that shot could be guesstimated by someone who doesn't know a kicking system. If you hit the middle diamond it's going to hit short of the side pocket.