Poll for Gambling Question

Player A gets 1 game on the wire racing to 9.

• The match is a tie or "push" when player B's score is 9 and player A's final score is 8.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • No, when player A gets to 8, the match is over as far as the gambling is concerned.

Votes: 55 96.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
When making side bet with someone on a match that two other people are playing and player A gets one game on the wire and player B of course giving the game on the wire; when is the game over with, when player A reaches 8 or do you wait until the complete match is finished. If player B gets to 9 and player B is on 8, is it a "push" or does player A win?

JoeyA

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
When I side-bet, getting a game on the wire, if my player gets to 8 before the other guy gets to 9, I want my money.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Your first option, Joey, is also a common bet....
...it's called "8's a push"

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe it's just too late but that poll doesn't make any sense to me the way it's worded, sorry. Bottom line is this, if player A is getting spotted a game on the wire then as soon as player A wins 8 games or player B wins 9 games ( whomever does it first ) the set is over and whoever did it first won. I don't see ANY gray area here whatsoever - side bet or no side bet it seems crystal clear to me.

Rockin' Robin

Mr. Texas Express
Silver Member
Player A is racing to 8, Player B is racing to 9......if player A gets to 8 he wins...period.
If player B gets to 9 before player A gets to 8...he wins.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Maybe it's just too late but that poll doesn't make any sense to me the way it's worded, sorry. Bottom line is this, if player A is getting spotted a game on the wire then as soon as player A wins 8 games or player B wins 9 games ( whomever does it first ) the set is over and whoever did it first won. I don't see ANY gray area here whatsoever - side bet or no side bet it seems crystal clear to me.

I think your confusion is that it is a side bet, i.e. rail action on a match. The set isn't over because Player A isn't getting a game from Player B, the way I understand Joey's scenario anyway. The set could indeed end 9-8 player B winning.

That said, the bet is settled as soon as player A got to 8 unless it's stipulated the bet is live until the actual match is concluded. Say the scenario is a handicapped tournament where "A" players have to give "B" and below players a game on the beads. The set wouldn't play out for a possible push. It would be over as soon as the B player got to 8.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think your confusion is that it is a side bet, i.e. rail action on a match. The set isn't over because Player A isn't getting a game from Player B, the way I understand Joey's scenario anyway. The set could indeed end 9-8 player B winning.

That said, the bet is settled as soon as player A got to 8 unless it's stipulated the bet is live until the actual match is concluded. Say the scenario is a handicapped tournament where "A" players have to give "B" and below players a game on the beads. The set wouldn't play out for a possible push. It would be over as soon as the B player got to 8.

My response would be the same none the less. To me, it doesn't matter if it's the players on the table or a sweat bet - the bet or set is over as soon as either player reaches his needed number of games to win. In this case it would be 8 games for player A. There can be no " tie ". Player A needs 8 games to win, player B needs 9. If player B wins 8 games the set is not over. If player A wins 8 games it is over. I case I am missing something please explain how it would be possible for it to be a tie.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This^^^^^^^

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
When making side bet with someone on a match that two other people are playing and player A gets one game on the wire and player B of course giving the game on the wire; when is the game over with, when player A reaches 8 or do you wait until the complete match is finished. If player B gets to 9 and player B is on 8, is it a "push" or does player A win?

JoeyA

Need to stipulate ahead of time. We do that in the action forum.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
When I side-bet, getting a game on the wire, if my player gets to 8 before the other guy gets to 9, I want my money.

Damn Skippy!
Either that or they aint gonna find you in the place where we put that thing that time with that friend of ours from back east.

Bada-bing,

Lesh

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
John Pender

I agree with you but I think like in most cases of gambling, the stipulation must be made. (There are many "rules" to gambling.)

In cases where the match is too close to call, a side-bettor might encourage someone else to make a bet by suggesting that they will give a game on the wire to the opponent but if the score is 9-8 their guy, it is a push.

If nothing is said specifically about it being a push, then when the receiver gets to 8, the bet is won.

JoeyA

P.S. Be sure and cover yourself. That low-down John Pender got me for a sawbuck. :D (I didn't stipulate) :grin:

Your first option, Joey, is also a common bet....
...it's called "8's a push"

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

JoeyA

The easiest way to visualise this is at start of match score is A=1 B=0 and it is race to 9. Whoever gets to 9 wins the match. So yes if A wins 8 games first yes he wins :grin: