A message from OB Cues

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
My thought is that if you know your rep means so much in an industry such as this, why would you align yourself with a "consultant" whose name is synonymous with low quality? :confused:

Higher profits.

The distinct impression the majority are left with, with OB forming an association with Dale Perry, plus reading the allegations by former OB employee Kenne Thomas then the response by Royce's wife, Mary Bunnell, is that OB is willing to sacrifice quality in order to achieve higher volume.

Did I already say higher profits?

Don, sincerely hope all the posters on this thread are wrong on the future of the company you helped begin. Pretty sure I'm not the only one who associates you with OB.

Lyn

Last edited:

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
I'm not on one side or the other.

Is it possible OB brought in Dale Perry to see what they could learn from him, in terms of production efficiency without sacrificing quality? Somewhere I read DP was only at OB for a week.

Even if his cues are the crap some have accused them of being, it doesn't mean everything the guy knows about cue making & the efficiency of cue making is crap. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, no? Maybe Shane is taking what makes sense and leaving the rest. Dale didn't buy into the company, right?

If you've seen the movie "Founder", which is about Ray Kroc, there's an awful lot of efficiency to be achieved just by arranging your production gear and work flow in the best way possible.

Efficiency isn't the enemy of quality. The argument can be made that money & other resources saved via efficiency can be utilized to keep prices reasonable as well as to fund R&D.

Granted the Facebook post of Royce's wife makes a compelling argument, as does the post from former employees. That being said, if this past Presidential election has taught us anything it's that people can see the same thing 2 very different ways. Removing intentional deceit from the table, this may just be a case of different perspectives. -Z-

Last edited:

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Is it possible OB brought in Dale Perry to see what they could learn from him, in terms of production efficiency without sacrificing quality? Somewhere I read DP was only at OB for a week.

Even if his cues are the crap some have accused them of being, it doesn't mean everything the guy knows about cue making & the efficiency of cue making is crap. Even a broken clock is right

twice a day, no? Maybe Shane is taking what makes sense and leaving the rest. Dale didn't buy into the company, right?

If you've seen the movie "Founder", which is about Ray Kroc, there's an awful lot of efficiency to be achieved just by arranging your production gear and work flow in the best way possible.

Efficiency isn't the enemy of quality. The argument can be made that money & other resources saved via efficiency can be utilized to keep prices reasonable as well as to fund R&D.

Granted the Facebook post of Royce's wife makes a compelling argument, as does the post from former employees. That being said, if this past Presidential election has taught us anything it's

that people can see the same thing 2 very different ways. Removing intentional deceit from the table, this may just be a case of different perspectives. -Z-

Did you see this from Mary Bunnell?

http://forums.azbilliards.com//showthread.php?t=452427&page=5

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member

I did, and that's a fair question.

I understand what she's saying, but it begs more questions than it answers.

Ultimately she's presenting her perspective & opinion and is doing so under what I

imagine is enormous grief....which is something that warrants factoring if that's the case.

I'll restate my position, I'm not on one side or the other. If someone is torpedoing quality

for the sake of saving a dollar, that is absolutely sad. Looking at things from the highly

limited perspective of a V-Bulletin user forum, it's not clear to me that's the only

explanation of what is taking place..or for that matter, not taking place. I'm simply

playing devil's advocate. Bottom line for me at this moment, nothing measurable or irrefutable has been

brought forward in anyone's post. There has simply been opinions, feelings and perspectives.

Now if there was someone who was a credible source who could quote Shane as stating "I'm taking Dale's advice we're now going to be using 30% Balsa wood in all the new shafts",

that's something definitive. So far, for me, nothing definitive, measurable or irrefutable. .

-Z-.

Last edited:

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
As always the proof is in the pudding ... if OB continues to produce a product that is high quality then the process is irrelevant.
OB Cues has in the past ... made a very high quality product and treated their customers right ... I am confident the quality of their future products will be just as good.

Seems like a lot of people regard Dale Perry as a low quality cue maker.
If any one of you can make a cue that is better than one made by Dale Perry please explain exactly how and why yours is better.

chemrvos1972

Registered
Lol quality

I owned 4 O.B shafts, had my ferrule go about 7 times on them over a 2 year period, the o.b classic would just crack and the o.b 1 the laminate rings would come out from the center......I even sent them back to the factory and they fixed them for free once and told me to quit letting my tips get low....so I did and the laminate just came out again smh......well fast forward, I sold all my o.b equipment and never had an issue again....best move I made ditching O.B shafts, not had 1 ferrule issue once before or since then.
P.s I'm sure Dale Perry will help(ever hit with one of his cheap cues?)

None of this has anything to do with whether or not his cues are quality cues, just means he's able to turn out a fast product.

I think a lot of members here would agree that his cues are not considered good.

I am really surprised that such a great cue company like OB cues would decide to hire Dale Perry to work with them. Does Dale Perry have a good reputation as a cue maker? Maybe he does for all of the league players out there, that enjoy playing with his $100 budget cues, from ebay. I can only speak from my personal experience with DP cues. I have ordered 3 of his ebay cues in the past (at different times, throughout many years, starting back in the early to mid 2000's) directly from DP, and I was really unhappy with the quality of the cues I received directly from DP. I love OB cues. I could never afford to buy one, but their cues appear to be very high quality, and I know that they are known as great playing cues, that have been played with by some top Pro players in the past. I always loved their shafts. Very nice hitting shafts. I was just really shocked to hear about OB hiring Dale Perry to work with them. I do not know though. Maybe Dale Perry is a really great cue maker. Maybe I was just unlucky in the past with his budget cues from ebay. They were just not my cup of tea (if that makes sense).

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am really surprised that such a great cue company like OB cues would decide to hire Dale Perry to work with them. Does Dale Perry have a good reputation as a cue maker? Maybe he does for all of the league players out there, that enjoy playing with his $100 budget cues, from ebay. I can only speak from my personal experience with DP cues. I have ordered 3 of his ebay cues in the past (at different times, throughout many years, starting back in the early to mid 2000's) directly from DP, and I was really unhappy with the quality of the cues I received directly from DP. I love OB cues. I could never afford to buy one, but their cues appear to be very high quality, and I know that they are known as great playing cues, that have been played with by some top Pro players in the past. I always loved their shafts. Very nice hitting shafts. I was just really shocked to hear about OB hiring Dale Perry to work with them. I do not know though. Maybe Dale Perry is a really great cue maker. Maybe I was just unlucky in the past with his budget cues from ebay. They were just not my cup of tea (if that makes sense).

What quality issue didn't you like about them?

I bought one. There's a flaw. For $100, it might be the best cue for the money that I own. Did you play with it???

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
What quality issue didn't you like about them?

I bought one. There's a flaw. For $100, it might be the best cue for the money that I own. Did you play with it???

for the record, I did own one too. The only thing I did NOT like about it, was the shaft was too thick for my liking and I sold it rather than buy a new shaft.

For the price, it's a decent cue. It's not a top of the line custom, we all know that. But, he builds them as equipment, not as collector items. You can spend $150 and the cue is going to last you 10 years, maybe more?

I just think things get over blown about cue makers. I just know too many folks that have a DP, and they like it just fine. Yes, if you put it up next to a Hercek, or other leading name brand makers, you're gonna see a different quality just in the finish, the smoothness of the inlays, etc. etc. etc.

Same thing if you put a Timex next to a Rolex, but nobody says Timex are complete crap. A decent watch for the money that will tell the correct time, and with no gold, diamonds or intricate mechanisms, hence the cost if a fraction of a Rolex.

It's all relative I guess.

But, the fact is DP does build then FAST, so he must know a few things about efficiency. So, if OB adds that efficiency, with a fully functioning and capable staff, surely, that can't be a bad thing. Sometimes, in business, the things you don't know, are the things that kill you.

Anyone watch the show The Profit ? Most of the stuff he fixes is NOT so much the product, but how it's made, to speed up production, cut out inefficiency. That saves a TON in labor costs. And he does not do that to DECREASE head count, but to increase margins as each product not only costs X to make instead of Y, and thus, they make more money without a single change to head count.

I have no skills in wood working, I've never even installed a tip on a cue. But, after visiting the Schuler shop on more than a few occasions back in the day, I can tell you, without any cue making skills at all, ZERO, I could have helped him a lot just in organizing his shop. It was a mess imho. Of course, had I suggested that to Ray, he would have slapped me as soon as the words came out of my mouth ;)

Last edited:

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Boy, that guy is really picky for always crying 'got no money':crying:

-Kat, >>>>> What Cornerman Said

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
This is the Post that started all of this.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=452427

Even if his cues are the crap some have accused them of being, it doesn't mean everything the guy knows about cue making & the efficiency of cue making is crap. Even a broken clock is right

twice a day, no? Maybe Shane is taking what makes sense and leaving the rest. Dale didn't buy into the company, right?

Granted the Facebook post of Royce's wife makes a compelling argument, as does the post from former employees. That being said, if this past Presidential election has taught us anything it's

that people can see the same thing 2 very different ways. Removing intentional deceit from the table, this may just be a case of different perspectives. -Z-