Got a couple of pool related books.

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
Got a couple of books I'm thinking of selling:

"McGoorty" by Robert Bryne

Hardback edition. Appears to be a first edition: copyright 1972. The book itself is in okay condition, but the outside cover is very worn and tattered.

"Billiards"- subtitled "Hustlers & Heros, Legends & Lies and The Search for Higher Truth on the Green Felt" by John Grissim.

Hardback edition. Appears to be first edition also, copyright 1979. No outside cover. The book is also in okay condition.

History of the books:

I was gifted these books a number of years ago by Frank "Bananas" Rodriguez near the end of his life.

Frank was a one pocket player who was noted in Eddie Robin's book "Winning One Pocket" series. He owned "Banana's Billiards" in San Antonio, Tx.

I worked for Frank at the poolroom in the mid 90's. Frank was in his early 80's when his health started to fail. He took up residence in a nursing home just down from the poolroom.

Since he was bedridden, I would take some of his books and read to him every afternoon. He would tell me war stories from his past about his time as a road player. He knew most of the greats back from the decades he played. I wish I had recorded those stories and been able to pass them on.

Before he passed, he gifted me his book collection.

My question is this: What are these worth? Any advise would help.

If I do decide to sell them, I will put them up in the For Sale subforum along with pictures.

Stones

Last edited:

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By "outside cover" do you mean the paper jacket? Jacket missing or in poor condition will affect the price. Not sure of prices on either of these as I haven't had occasion to check lately. Hustlers and Heroes was not all that hard to find a few years back, don't know about now.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
not what you want to hear but ten or fifteen for them both. best to save them for the memories or give them to someone who might appreciate.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
McGoorty copies are for sale here - ... /www.abebooks.com

A better place to look for the prices of used books is http://used.addall.com

It searches about 20 book sites. They also have an in-print search page.

To answer the OP directly, McGoorty in like-new condition might get $50 from a collector. It has had about six printings/editions and is easy to find. Grissim's book with a good+ dust jacket might get $40 from a collector. It is a little harder to find but it is not rare.

If the books are not in collectible condition they are more like $10 each. If you can wait, sometimes they will sell on Ebay for more, but it's not going to be much more.

I agree with the post above -- you will get more from giving them to someone who is interested in pool.

Last edited: