Funny Pool Stories

CharlesUFarley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK, OK, just one more.

Not my cue, but the guy I was playing...

At this one pool hall, the bathroom is right next to the 1pocket table. I was playing a guy named Brett, who had just gotten a very nice new SP. I think it may have been a Buss or Joss. Anywhos, we finish a game and Brett lays his cue down on the table to go to the bathroom. Only the cue ball and one other ball near a corner pocket are on the table. I'm sitting in a chair along with a bunch of rail birds sweating the match.

Hobbling along comes The Professor (not Grady) Bill Hendricks, the very nice gentleman who wrote "The History of Pool." He's up in age and moves pretty slowly and is making his way to the bathroom, when he sees the cue and balls and gets inspired. Suddenly, he picks up Brett's brand new shiny SP -- probably thinking it was a house cue -- and turns to those of us on the rail and says, "Have you guys ever seen this shot?

Before anyone realizes what he's about to do, or explain it's not a house cue, or stop him, he grabs the butt of the cue with both hands and does the: running the cue ball down the long rail, using the shaft of the cue to send the cue ball around the table five rails, to make a ball in the jaws shot. (If you've seen this shot you know you basically have to use enough pressure to bend the shaft pretty good to rake the cue ball down the rail and put enough spin on the cue ball to get enough rails to make the shot.

He makes the shot, puts the cue down, and, in blissful ignorance continues his slow march to the bathroom.

We all looked at each other for a second, sort of just in shock at what we had just seen happen to a $300 SP, then burst out laughing and enjoyed telling Brett over and over again -- in excruciating detail -- what had just happen to his brand new cue :)

Lou Figueroa
I played this trick shot in a bar one time. Unknown to me at the moment, there was a young lady playing on the table next to me. She was between her table and mine, down on her shot facing away from me when I was attempting my "shot". I raked the cue with pretty much all my might and spanked her in the ass with my house cue at full power. I apologized profusely, but was having trouble containing my laughter at the same time. She was a good sport about it.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I cant remember who did it (may have been me)
Pool hall had a long rail/counter down the middle. Guy comes out of the restroom and walks up to the table and runs out a 8ball rack. Guy sitting at the rail says "nice run but you are playing on the other table".

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a friend who owned a small pool room with 8 pool tables a snooker table and a card game long ago.
One friday afternoon, a woman walks in, and shes screaming, and cussing and just going crazy, as she proceeds to cut the cloth, off the top of every pool table in the place, with a razor knife.
The owner is losing it ,but doesn't know what to do.
Finally he says "what the hell is your problem lady?
She says "my husband won't be losing his paycheck in here tonight"!
Seemingly pleased with herself, and her take care of business ability.
He says "who the hell is your husband" and she says"Freddie Shoemaker".
He then says" hell lady ,he has never played a game of pool in here ,he hangs out down the street.
As she is leaving , he says , by the way , tell your idiot husband he owes me 1000 dollars and if I don't have it by the end of next week I am sending someone over to collect it out of his .........
He was not joking, and somehow, Freddie paid up early.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played this trick shot in a bar one time. Unknown to me at the moment, there was a young lady playing on the table next to me. She was between her table and mine, down on her shot facing away from me when I was attempting my "shot". I raked the cue with pretty much all my might and spanked her in the ass with my house cue at full power. I apologized profusely, but was having trouble containing my laughter at the same time. She was a good sport about it.

lmao.

Lou Figueroa
I guess she did too

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kicked long rail into the 3 hit it at 1 o'clock scrstched straight in the side where it was at.
Well my opponent thought it was FUNNY

Attachments

• received_280342092628661.jpg
    received_280342092628661.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 280

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
I've told this story before on the forum.

Two guys are barking at each other trying to make a cheap game.

Finally, they decide to play short races for $20.

As they're heading to the table, one of the guys asks the other to post the money up front.

The other guy barks back "Post? What do you mean post? I'll have you know I haven't stiffed anybody in the last two weeks!"

True story.

Stones

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Summertime in Northern CA was kind of dead the early 80’s, so my friend Poker Paul and I decided to take a little road trip in his new Camaro. My best game was golf on a snooker table and Paul had been on the road with Tony Annigoni a few years earlier and knew some spots he thought we could get golf action and make some money. If you are good enough, golf is a good game to hustle. You are usually going to get beat or break even with the better players until you get the table and rules down. Then the bet is up and you have a line on who to play.

Phoenix was a great golf town then, and we made a nice little score at The Golden Cue and headed for Alb., New Mexico. The Corner Pocket was the action spot and Cowboy Jimmy Moore was the House Pro there. I matched up a cheap golf game for $10/1 with one of the locals names Wilford. I did not know it at the time but we were both stalling. There was a guy sweating the game that had on a uniform that said ‘Animal Control Officer’. The table was awful and had a loose rail that the balls would bounce off of every time you hit it. I quit and the guy in the uniform asked me if I would like to play some for a bigger bet. I said sure, but not on this table. He told me there was a nice 5 x 10 in another room and we followed him there.

We kicked it off for $50/5 and when the smoke cleared, he beat me for $750. My road partner Paul never said a word until we got back to the motel room.

He said ‘I got me a helluva player, the dog catcher beats us out of $750’. We got the money back, but it took a week. Al the dog catcher could play.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Summertime in Northern CA was kind of dead the early 80’s, so my friend Poker Paul and I decided to take a little road trip in his new Camaro. My best game was golf on a snooker table and Paul had been on the road with Tony Annigoni a few years earlier and knew some spots he thought we could get golf action and make some money. If you are good enough, golf is a good game to hustle. You are usually going to get beat or break even with the better players until you get the table and rules down. Then the bet is up and you have a line on who to play.

Phoenix was a great golf town then, and we made a nice little score at The Golden Cue and headed for Alb., New Mexico. The Corner Pocket was the action spot and Cowboy Jimmy Moore was the House Pro there. I matched up a cheap golf game for $10/1 with one of the locals names Wilford. I did not know it at the time but we were both stalling. There was a guy sweating the game that had on a uniform that said ‘Animal Control Officer’. The table was awful and had a loose rail that the balls would bounce off of every time you hit it. I quit and the guy in the uniform asked me if I would like to play some for a bigger bet. I said sure, but not on this table. He told me there was a nice 5 x 10 in another room and we followed him there.

We kicked it off for $50/5 and when the smoke cleared, he beat me for $750. My road partner Paul never said a word until we got back to the motel room.

He said ‘I got me a helluva player, the dog catcher beats us out of $750’. We got the money back, but it took a week. Al the dog catcher could play.

No idea if that was a real dog catcher or not but Grady would wear any kind of uniform he could find. Mechanics, bug-spray guys, fast food, you name it, he would wear it.

So you never know... jus sayin'

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Years ago we had a guy coming into the pool room he had his folding money in a clear plastic bag. He would do yardwork and the Texas heat would cause him to sweat. His money would get wet with sweat so the bag was his way to prevent this.
So one day some one came in the poolroom and handed out some of same bags to a few regulars. When the player showed up , someone ordered a beer. When the waitress showed up we all made a big scene of taking our "money" bags out to offer to pay for the round. Embarrased the shit out of the poor guy. He has a great sense of humor and only said well I will get you guys back.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
There was a pool hall in Central Washington state that had a break and run pot that had got up to something rediculous, like $6,000.00. This had attracted the attention of local authorities, so the pool hall decided to get rid of the full pot in one night. Up to that point, only one ticket had gotten draw each week, and multiple people would pool their money for tickets for specific players in the area, in hopes of splitting the pot.

This particular evening, the pool hall decided to run multiple draws, with the first draw getting a chance at the full pot, the second half, the next one $1000.00, and so on.

Mike Zimmerman gets the full pot ticket, breaks, and makes nothing. This pool hall had the old heavy nap cloth. Extremely hard to make a ball on.

The next fellow, John Dougherty ("J.D.", the tall, thin Seattle player in "Playing Off the Rail") got a chance at half the pot, about $3000.00. He broke, made a ball, and got a nice shot on the 1, with a very runnable table.. He runs to the 5, but you can tell he is nervous as hell. He gets a straight in shot on the 6 which is close to the corner pocket, and just needs to draw back about 18 inches for a stopshot out on the last three balls.

J.D. says, "I'm gonna take a smoke break.", and lays his stick down on the table. Comes back in about 5 minutes.. Takes a second to compose himself, gets down on the 6 ball... Pulls the triiger.. And miscues so bad the CB jumps over the 6 ball and scratches in the corner pocket.

Never saw such a look of shock on a player's face in my life. Wasn't necessarily "funny" at the time, but J.D. is one of the best 9 ball players in the state, and the story is definitely one that I remember fondly, even feeling sorry for J.D.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
There was a pool hall in Central Washington state that had a break and run pot that had got up to something rediculous, like $6,000.00. This had attracted the attention of local authorities, so the pool hall decided to get rid of the full pot in one night. Up to that point, only one ticket had gotten draw each week, and multiple people would pool their money for tickets for specific players in the area, in hopes of splitting the pot.

This particular evening, the pool hall decided to run multiple draws, with the first draw getting a chance at the full pot, the second half, the next one $1000.00, and so on.

Mike Zimmerman gets the full pot ticket, breaks, and makes nothing. This pool hall had the old heavy nap cloth. Extremely hard to make a ball on.

The next fellow, John Dougherty ("J.D.", the tall, thin Seattle player in "Playing Off the Rail") got a chance at half the pot, about $3000.00. He broke, made a ball, and got a nice shot on the 1, with a very runnable table.. He runs to the 5, but you can tell he is nervous as hell. He gets a straight in shot on the 6 which is close to the corner pocket, and just needs to draw back about 18 inches for a stopshot out on the last three balls.

J.D. says, "I'm gonna take a smoke break.", and lays his stick down on the table. Comes back in about 5 minutes.. Takes a second to compose himself, gets down on the 6 ball... Pulls the triiger.. And miscues so bad the CB jumps over the 6 ball and scratches in the corner pocket.

Never saw such a look of shock on a player's face in my life. Wasn't necessarily "funny" at the time, but J.D. is one of the best 9 ball players in the state, and the story is definitely one that I remember fondly, even feeling sorry for J.D.

That's happened to me so many times I can't even begin to count them. Never at such an inconvenient time, though. When I'm bearing down, for whatever reason, it never happens. But just knocking balls around? Unreal how much I do that. And if I know someone sees me do it? Embarrassing as hell, even though I act like nothing happened. Inside I'm going, yup... I'm gonna kick my ass when i get home. :D

Pensacola

I'm pretty sure there's some version of this already posted somewhere, but I'm not aware of it if so.

Here's one:

Sam Blumenthal, a **GREAT** player from Jacksonville was known to toss down a few beers in his day. Another good player from Jacksonville, Johnny Ross was playing Sam snooker for whatever-they-were-betting. Johnny was up at the counter, talking to Harley and they notice Sam is standing but bent over, with his face cradled in his arms which are on the table. He's passed out cold. Johnny says to Harley, "What should I do?" Harley says "Go wake him up!" So, Johnny goes and shakes Sam by the shoulder.

Sam wakes up. And runs out.

Sometimes it's just best to leave a sleeping dog lie...
Blumenthal only played on a table with pockets big enough for big bar table ball to fit into. My only dealing with him was in 1964, when i challenged him to go play Hunziker in Pensacola, to bet whatever they wanted. No go! He played everybody, for 20 years including Chenier, but only on his table.

L.S. Dennis

I happened to be looking through some old posts and I came across this one which I almost forgot about. It's so unusual that I thought it throw it once again as I think people will like reading it if they missed it the first time.

Here’s a story that I once heard Buddy Hall telling it’s so unusual that I think if bares repeating. The story went something like this:

"There was some tournament going on down south somewhere, maybe Arkansas where this player had never won a tournament and was now on the verge of winning his very first one. Upon taking his last gaming winning shot all of a sudden there was a power shortage and total black out. After about 5 or 6 seconds the power came back on and play resumed. The guy got down to shoot his game and tournament winning shot when much to his astonishment his missed wildly! How could this happen after he barely missing ball all day? Well as it happened during the short black out a large flying insect (they’re big in that part of the country) flew in and nestled itself just under the front of the cue ball causing it to jump to one side after the player shot it."

I wonder what the odds would be in Vegas for something like that occurring?