I almost killed my opponent last night at league--literally!!!

Travis3c

AV Pool Nut
Silver Member
So first match of 5 games, Im doing all the work. I start racking the balls, and I always rack the same pattern in an 8 ball rack

s
- s
s 8 -
- - s s
s - s - -

My opponent comes up to me and requests that I change the 2nd row to two stripe balls and alternate all the way around. With a stripe ball on the back corner. I held my ground and calmly ask what is wrong with the current rack. He said he was old school and liked to rack them in an alternating pattern. I told him it cant be done because either all stripes or all solids will be at the corners.

He pitched a fit and ran off to the league operator, the LO agreed with me and my opponent said he was writing the BCA on how their rule lets opponents set the rack. Anyways I break and make a ball.

I continue my run and Im in very good shape for a run out. My opponent stands up and hits the floor and goes into cardiac arrest. Ambulance comes takes him to the ER.

I felt bad all night and was telling myself I should have switched those two balls around.

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hope he is ok. When I was in college, I played leagues in a small town. One player died at the table at leagues one night.:(

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope the guy recovers, but he was clearly in the wrong. No need to feel guilty about it.

Travis3c

AV Pool Nut
Silver Member
no I chose to play their sub on a rerack. I already felt bad about getting him worked up

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
So first match of 5 games, Im doing all the work. I start racking the balls, and I always rack the same pattern in an 8 ball rack

s
- s
s 8 -
- - s s
s - s - -

My opponent comes up to me and requests that I change the 2nd row to two stripe balls and alternate all the way around. With a stripe ball on the back corner. I held my ground and calmly ask what is wrong with the current rack. He said he was old school and liked to rack them in an alternating pattern. I told him it cant be done because either all stripes or all solids will be at the corners.

He pitched a fit and ran off to the league operator, the LO agreed with me and my opponent said he was writing the BCA on how their rule lets opponents set the rack. Anyways I break and make a ball.

I continue my run and Im in very good shape for a run out. My opponent stands up and hits the floor and goes into cardiac arrest. Ambulance comes takes him to the ER.

I felt bad all night and was telling myself I should have switched those two balls around.

I don't think you did anything wrong at all, sounds like the was Heart attack waiting to happen. Hopefully he will learn to control his emotions better, which will ultimately be good for his health.

Take care

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
That was a common rack setup with old house rules. When I play 8-ball outside of league, I remember to point out the differences in BCA rules; 1 stripe/1 solid at each corner, table still open if you drop balls, and ball in hand anywhere after the break.

SirNoobs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always rack like that, then 4/10 my opponent comes over and rearranges the balls like your opponent wants them, alternating stripe-solids, as I tighten and push the rack onto the spot. :angry:

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
I heard Bucktooth faked a heart attack once to get out of a bad game. I could be wrong but I wouldnt doubt it :lol:

On a more serious note i do hope he's o.k Although maybe he should stop being old school because aparently the old school way of pool is dead :rolleyes:

Here's a good story for ya:

Once I was working as a server in this crap hole italian joint and i get this table of blue hairs. They started off fine but as the courses of the food came out the more crabby this one old lady became. Complaining about the soup and there's too much dressing and the lighting isnt right :rolleyes: Holy crap i was fumming but I kept that crap I HATE YOU smile on :) :lol:

Long story short ive had it up to here with her ridiculous demands and making me run back and forth llike her whipping boy. So i whisper under my breath in the server station...

"I hope you choke on it!! Take the blue out of your hair and put it back in your veins you old crow!!!"

Not ten seconds later you hear a comotion coming from the table with "OH...OH...SHE'S CHOKING!!! HELP HER!!!!" :eek:

Sure enough the ambulance shows up and she's hooked up the the respirator and wheeled out to the hospital.. I can take a good amount of abuse from unruly customers but there are the ones that make you wish. We all think this in the business but its just that... Stressed out thoughts adn words.. I never would wish harm on any human being no matter how much i dislike them but you got to admit... As much as I hated her i did feel awful about it :( Up until happy hour where the whole bar almost choked from laughing about it :lol:

Last edited:

flash5153

none
Silver Member
We all have a pretty good idea that it wasn't because of the way you racked. But ,,ummm,, when you made a ball,,that was it!!:)
Hope he is OK!!

If it happens again ,,no one is going to want to play you!!:D

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
With situations like that, you also find out quickly if you are the type of person that is good with dealing with spontaneous emergency situations.

I had a similar thing happen. The very first league that I joined, I had a partner that was in his late 60's, and who was short and stocky. We both loved pool. We weren't in league at the time, but just playing pool at a bar. One second he's standing next to be sipping his drink, and the next second he falls over like a log right there in front of me.

I found out that I am NOT the person to depend on for resuscitation or medical help. I was calm though, but just looked around and told the bartender that they should probably think about calling 9-1-1. A nice lady bartender jumped into action, felt for his pulse elevated his legs, and held his head.

As is turns out, my partner has low blood pressure. When he coughed, he cut off the oxygen to his head and he passed out. This has happened numerous times before to him, but he never told me or warned me about this. He eventually came too....and everything was fine -- he just had a bump on his head from falling. I believe that we even resumed playing pool after that "close call". HA!

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any that's exactly why I don't like leagues. I'm there to have fun and some people take it way to seriously.