POOL ETIQUETTE ... Everything You Need to Know

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a friend who comes over to shoot. I always have a fairly fresh Masters sitting on the rail at either end of the table. The longer this guy hangs out the more chalks appear on my rails seemingly out of nowhere. I think he's grabbing them off my shelf between turns and I never notice until I'm brushing four chalks aside to take a shot.
There's number 53.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pool buddy from the Philippines does that. I asked him why and he said "Bekoss, dass how you use." Mystery solved.
I used to think this too until I bought my own table and saw the mess down-facing chalk makes and how it scratches the rails. :frown:

Regards,
Dave

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to think this too until I bought my own table and saw the mess down-facing chalk makes and how it scratches the rails. :frown:

Regards,
Dave

Tell me about it. In the Philippines they pile talcum powder right on the rails next to the side pockets. :shrug:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good job Dave. I like the one about walking past rather than stopping - I’d never seen that spelled out before, but I agree 100%. I see lots of people do it where I play. They’re trying to be polite but I’d much rather they walk by. Stopping is unnecessary and draws more attention from the shooter than just walking by. And then you feel like you’ve got to hurry up and shoot.

I also liked the elbow bump, even though you weren’t explicit about it. I hope this virus kills the gross handshake once and for all. We should all move to the Japanese bow.

The other thing I’d add is to not complain about sharking or etiquette. People who constantly complain about etiquette - usually imaginary issues - are worse than people who have poor etiquette. I think it was an Emily Post or maybe Dear Abby column I read in which someone described how they complained to someone about their etiquette and wrote the letter looking for support, but the columnist sided against the letter-writer, saying it’s the worst etiquette to loudly or publicly complain about someone else’s etiquette.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
11. Play at home alone during pandemics.
This is one (1) I hope never to have to use again!
Agreed. Although, I am getting a lot of work done, and I have been playing more pool than normal (although, I am fortunate enough to have a table at home).

We all want this virus thing beat as soon as possible. That's why we need to be disciplined like the Chinese, South Koreans, and Japanese were. I know ... I'm asking for too much of some Americans. :mad:

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tell me about it. In the Philippines they pile talcum powder right on the rails next to the side pockets. :shrug:
There, they need it ... with all of that humidity, especially in those "open air" "pool halls" in some of those YouTube videos with the packed-in wagering spectators and the chickens running around. Pool table cleanliness is not even a possibility in environments like that.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good job Dave.
Thanks. This one was lots of fun and I learned a few things about video editing. Hollywood ... here I come. :)

I like the one about walking past rather than stopping - I’d never seen that spelled out before, but I agree 100%. I see lots of people do it where I play. They’re trying to be polite but I’d much rather they walk by. Stopping is unnecessary and draws more attention from the shooter than just walking by. And then you feel like you’ve got to hurry up and shoot.
Agreed. There's a guy on my league team who really hates this ... and we tease him about it every chance we get.

I also liked the elbow bump, even though you weren’t explicit about it.
This was a little difficult to pull off with the split-screen editing, but it came out better than I thought it would. I don't have the video-editing skills of somebody like Andrew Cleary ... I bet he could have made it look perfect.

I hope this virus kills the gross handshake once and for all. We should all move to the Japanese bow.
I agree 100%. Shaking hands is stupid. So is wearing neck ties.

The other thing I’d add is to not complain about sharking or etiquette. People who constantly complain about etiquette - usually imaginary issues - are worse than people who have poor etiquette. I think it was an Emily Post or maybe Dear Abby column I read in which someone described how they complained to someone about their etiquette and wrote the letter looking for support, but the columnist sided against the letter-writer, saying it’s the worst etiquette to loudly or publicly complain about someone else’s etiquette.
I like it. Now I have 54 (no hand shake), and 55 (don't complain ... about anything).

Regards,
Dave

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've implemented clocks for the racing format of 4ball, there's an etiquette, a procedural
courtesy for the table setting and getting in line to start the run-out.

I've imposed a distinct step (full step) back from the table saying to the millions watching
and the clock manager that said player is prepared and ready to start his/her rack, lag and run-out.

This step back formality is having some resistance from the get go here.

Doesn't seem to be any resistance on a clock starting the moment you touch the rack.

cjr3559

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The equipment abuse was cringeworthy and tough to watch. Seriously I’m wondering if you plan on recovering the table..

Great video as always

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The equipment abuse was cringeworthy and tough to watch. Seriously I’m wondering if you plan on recovering the table.
I have been trying to get my table mechanic to come out for months now, but he is in high demand. Hopefully, he will be able to come after the COVID-19 think gets beat.

Great video as always
Thanks.

Regards,
Dave

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dave, as lengthy a list as you have, I look forward to watching your video, and I’m betting I’ll come up with a few that you missed!

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great video Doc! Man that dude in the coat and hat is a real jerk. LOL The wife is walking by as I'm watching and wondering why I'm laughing so much. I tell her that it's just one of those pool things, you wouldn't understand.

The only one I violate is leaving chalk on the table. I apologize to anyone I happen to play if I accidentally pickup their chalk.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About this "missing" chalk thing. Around ten years ago somebody have me a box of chalk for Christmas or something. It was hard as a rock cheap Chinese crap from Sears I guess. I've been leaving them out on my table hoping someone would steal some. I bring extras everywhere. No one touched a thing. Funny, my Blue Diamond I have to hide. I put my name on them, right randyg?

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave, as lengthy a list as you have, I look forward to watching your video, and I’m betting I’ll come up with a few that you missed!
I'm sure you will. I think I've heard at least 20 more in AZB, Facebook, and YouTube posts and comments.

Please let me know what you come up with after you watch the video,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great video Doc! Man that dude in the coat and hat is a real jerk. LOL
Yep. Doofus Dave definitely has some "issues."

The wife is walking by as I'm watching and wondering why I'm laughing so much. I tell her that it's just one of those pool things, you wouldn't understand.
I'm glad you liked it. It makes me laugh too ... my wife, not so much.

The only one I violate is leaving chalk on the table. I apologize to anyone I happen to play if I accidentally pickup their chalk.
If that's the only bad thing you do, you're still OK in my book.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
About this "missing" chalk thing. Around ten years ago somebody have me a box of chalk for Christmas or something. It was hard as a rock cheap Chinese crap from Sears I guess. I've been leaving them out on my table hoping someone would steal some. I bring extras everywhere. No one touched a thing. Funny, my Blue Diamond I have to hide. I put my name on them, right randyg?
I like hiding the fancy chalks when I see them left on tables during league. I like seeing the owner feverishly look for them. I eventually hand them over. I know ... I'm mean.

Regards,
Dave