League started back up tonight

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They had us play at a different venue than where we are based in house. Social distancing was in effect. They had every other tabke closed. Approximately 20 people played and only one wore a mask. I was not that one though.. Every one made an effort to keep some reasonal distance apart but dang near impossible to stay the recommended 6 feet apart.

Fellas i coould tell a 7 week layoff affected my game and playing on diamonds ...which i have not played on in forever didnt help matters much. Did manage to win both matches though once i got a lil semblance of what poor stroke i have working.

Didnt miss playing a whole lot the last 7 weeks but was happy to be back playing...woukd have enjoyed it a whole lot more if i was not so worried about contracting the virus.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didnt miss playing a whole lot the last 7 weeks but was happy to be back playing...woukd have enjoyed it a whole lot more if i was not so worried about contracting the virus.

why not just stay home then?
serious question

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What?

Approximately 20 people played and only one wore a mask. I was not that one though..

woukd have enjoyed it a whole lot more if i was not so worried about contracting the virus.

If you were concerned about caching the virus why didn't you wear a mask and if no one else wore a mask why did you stay?

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
League started last monday and my team did not play until friday. I discussed some concerns with a person that works for our league operators yesterday morning and asked if there had been any issues during the week ...like if it was knkwn if any one had contracted the virus during the week and had she observed precaustions being taken at the various venues that were open.

I went for 2 reasons. One to meet a player and sell him a cue and to see for myself what precautions were being taken. If i didnt feel comfortable i would leave after selling the cue..

As i stated before. Only half the tables available were being used. I noticed employess wiping the tables and balls before being used and wiping down every counter and sitting area ....this was done several times during the night. So i saw a concerted effort being made in accordance with the rules that were in place in order to open. As for masks...conflicting information about whether masks keep you from getting it or keep you from spreading it. Btw...i wear a predator glove on my bridge hand and a copper fit glove on my shooting hand...due to nerve damage so my bare skin did not touch anything and i made sure not to touch my face until i took my gloves off and then i used hand sanitizer which i carry with me.

Bottom line is there was more of a visible effort being made to avoid getting the virus at the pool hall than any store i have visited but you still wonder who has it and who does not and you still wonder if its safe to go anywhere.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
League started last monday and my team did not play until friday. I discussed some concerns with a person that works for our league operators yesterday morning and asked if there had been any issues during the week ...like if it was knkwn if any one had contracted the virus during the week and had she observed precaustions being taken at the various venues that were open.

I went for 2 reasons. One to meet a player and sell him a cue and to see for myself what precautions were being taken. If i didnt feel comfortable i would leave after selling the cue..

As i stated before. Only half the tables available were being used. I noticed employess wiping the tables and balls before being used and wiping down every counter and sitting area ....this was done several times during the night. So i saw a concerted effort being made in accordance with the rules that were in place in order to open. As for masks...conflicting information about whether masks keep you from getting it or keep you from spreading it. Btw...i wear a predator glove on my bridge hand and a copper fit glove on my shooting hand...due to nerve damage so my bare skin did not touch anything and i made sure not to touch my face until i took my gloves off and then i used hand sanitizer which i carry with me.

Bottom line is there was more of a visible effort being made to avoid getting the virus at the pool hall than any store i have visited but you still wonder who has it and who does not and you still wonder if its safe to go anywhere.

sounds like you put forth a good effort to protect yourself
and I believe you when you say folks at the pool hall were doing the same
even moreso than some "essential" businesses that have been open
the most effective way to mitigate covid effects is social distancing
kind of reminds me of what they said about safe sex in school
sure condoms, etc. work most of the time
but abstinence will always be the most effective birth control
be safe

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope your guardian angel remains vigilant and by your side when you venture forth into pool halls and bars to play.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

CORONA <= .1 microns

Droplet avg. >= .8 micron

HEPA filter >= 1.2 microns (realistically).

Typical painters masks basically do nothing, in fact they are designed for a much bigger particle size _AND_ to allow your exhalation to escape.

All this is easily researched, go check it out.

HEPA/N95 _MASKS_ are questionable, and they _COULD_ help inwards. Outside of those, the masks that would filter it are incredibly expensive and controlled, you're literally better off buying SCUBA.

Keep your OWN hands clean, but I wouldn't keep wiping everything down, that will just keep things in a perpetual loop of moist and increase contact between material surfaces (what your pool hall is doing is actually _NOT_ suggested by many sources). I'd suggest to them to use a UV light instead of wiping anything.

Unless you're on some serious medication, even if you contract it you'll be fine. The number for asymptomatic hosts keeps rising, it was up in the 70 percentile last I read, so maybe you do have it and don't know it.

You'll be fine, but did you notice what type of exhaust system the building was using? I'm wondering if the typical HVAC systems in use are being reversed into some kind of filter/bin/climax.

Droplets: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2843952/
HEPA:

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
CORONA <= .1 microns

Typical painters masks basically do nothing, in fact they are designed for a much bigger particle size _AND_ to allow your exhalation to escape.

HEPA/N95 _MASKS_ are questionable, and they _COULD_ help inwards. Outside of those, the masks that would filter it are incredibly expensive and controlled, you're literally better off buying SCUBA.

Keep your OWN hands clean, but I wouldn't keep wiping everything down, that will just keep things in a perpetual loop of moist and increase contact between material surfaces (what your pool hall is doing is actually _NOT_ suggested by many sources). I'd suggest to them to use a UV light instead of wiping anything.

Unless you're on some serious medication, even if you contract it you'll be fine. The number for asymptomatic hosts keeps rising, it was up in the 70 percentile last I read, so maybe you do have it and don't know it.

You'll be fine, but did you notice what type of exhaust system the building was using? I'm wondering if the typical HVAC systems in use are being reversed into some kind of filter/bin/climax.

HEPA:

And people keep using the same mask over and over(not that they're doing much good anyway) first thing I did when I got to my last job was lookup the time they are supposed to be used - job had been going on for 3 weeks and nobody had looked it up :confused:

A good friend of mine got Corona at another site, 80 people so far at that site. Tried calling him today to get more details but he's not answering, my brother talked to him it seems like he's fine - probably day drinking lol

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait, what?

Cron, where did that stat of 70% being asymptomatic come from? That's incredible. It would mean a mass of infectious folk wandering about without viable masks.

Seems huge argument for social distancing.

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just because you can do something doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to do something....

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wait, what?

Cron, where did that stat of 70% being asymptomatic come from? That's incredible. It would mean a mass of infectious folk wandering about without viable masks.

Seems huge argument for social distancing.

I was following the Italian studies for that number, the exact page isn't returning but there is several pages linking to them (the link below appears to have used them, but just as reference in one sentence). At the time Italy seemed like the best placed to get a number for the asymptomatic, and it undoubtedly still is (but only if you care).

As I mentioned in other threads, I gave up with _ALL_ numbers for COVID-19 ~4 weeks ago, it's just not worth following. No one wants to see that no matter how deadly this may or may not be, you'll have to live with it, treatment or no treatment. Considering there is no cure for the common cold, and this virus appears to be just a more potent form of that, why should I care now after watching this all play out?

https://www.wrdw.com/content/news/I-TEAM-COVID-19s-silent-problem-You-can-spread-the-disease-without-showing-symptoms-569705701.html

I'm not sure how a 70% asymptomatic rate suggests social distancing. If it does, what would a 0% asymptomatic rate suggest? Isn't the ultimate goal to become 99.99% asymptomatic?

What this is doing to the younger people, teens in particular, should now be the concern. Very few believe life is fair, but many believe in the survival of the fittest.

EDIT: better link, but still not the original one I read (I'll look a bit longer)

https://www.repubblica.it/salute/medicina-e-ricerca/2020/03/16/news/coronavirus_studio_il_50-75_dei_casi_a_vo_sono_asintomatici_e_molto_contagiosi-251474302/?ref=RHPPTP-BH-I251454518-C12-P3-S2.4-T1

EDIT: If you actually do care to find asymptomatic numbers, use South Korea. I had no idea they were testing so much for so long... very impressive.

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are still playing out of Highpockets?

Tell Tracy I said hi, and I miss all the guys.

Ken

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CORONA <= .1 microns

HEPA:

And the cloth masks are worse. A virus can go through those as easily as you walking through a barn door. It's just to make people FEEL better.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Just because you can do something doesn’t mean it’s a good idea to do something....

Please do not spoil the fun, he going to League to have fun. He is an adult excersing FREE WILL.

You on the other hand could stay home, and an aircraft could fal from the sky on you safe space.

Someone I know very well was an aviator in the Korean War, he said evertime he walked to his aircraft for a mission he was scared to death. Once airborne he did his job, training kicked In, did have one bad mission, got back to base. Did get One Purple Heart.

Now is 88 years old, has no fear of death.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tell me a little about this copper glove for nerve damage.
I have nerve damage in my right hand from an old car wreck. Wondering if that would help any?
TY

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tell me a little about this copper glove for nerve damage.
I have nerve damage in my right hand from an old car wreck. Wondering if that would help any?
TY

My injury is in my forearm as a result of cutting several nerves and tendons running down to my hand. I lost all feeling in half of my hand and lost mobility in 3 of my fingers. The nerve damage really causes pain when my hand gets cold and they keep my pool room pretty cold. I have seen seversl people bring sweaters because its so cold in there. The glove does not take all the pain away but it does relieve a lot of it.

I also seem to be developing arthritis in a couple of knuckles and that pain and problems with mobility in them are less when i put the glove on.

My hand also aches from overusing it at work sometimes and the glove relieves almost all that pain. .

I believe i paid 20.00 for them at wal mart and its well worth the money for what relief it offers.

Edited to add i also wear a compression sleeve on my arm when i go to pool due to thats where my injury is. ...only wear it at pool. Mainly for the added warmth but it does relieve some pain but does not work as well alone like the glove does by itself.

Combining the 2 does a pretty good job. Before i started using the glove i had a few instances where my cue slipped out of my hand during my stroke. Maybe because of the loss of feeling or whatever but i have noticed a big reduction in those slips since using the glove.

Hope this info helps.

Last edited:

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CORONA <= .1 microns

HEPA:

You can readily get n95s. 3 for $50. Now's not the time to be cheap. Not wearing a mask within 6 feet of strangers is Russian Roulette.

Let me dispel some of the above gross misinformation.
Only 25 percent of New York City residents have Covid antibodies... Nowhere is it 70%.
Wipe anything with a diluted bleach and water solution and it kills the virus instantly.
No HVAC system filters the sir as you suggest. What works is negative pressure to keep an isolation room's contaminated air inside

This sort of talk is not helpful.

Last edited: