Grady Mathews Stroke Style?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Some of the great players start shooting pool as young kids, by standing on a milking bucket, or milk can. Because if we're standing on floor they could not see over table.

Then later in life still has the weird stands they were using as kids, minus the platform to stand on. Most instructors would try to correct that stands.

When you have to improvise sometimes your way of doing things is not text book. But if your unorthodox method works, why change.:wink:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was wondering what style or type of stroke Grady used. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aCoMzfMiTk
Thanks for the link. I suppose you could call that style "compact" or "very compact".

What I was interested to see was the result of that special rack they were using. On the break shot the wing ball was going and the nine was not moving, just as with template racks. I think they called it the Accu-Rack.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the link. I suppose you could call that style "compact" or "very compact".

What I was interested to see was the result of that special rack they were using. On the break shot the wing ball was going and the nine was not moving, just as with template racks. I think they called it the Accu-Rack.
I also was looking closely at the beak styles and results. Grady had an awesome match against Jimmy Mataya. Grady also played paterns that did not require a big stroke. Interesting

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Short, compact and pokey --- definitely originated from his 14.1 days, which was all they played back then. It probably worked well playing 14.1 on slow cloths.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Short, compact and pokey --- definitely originated from his 14.1 days, which was all they played back then. It probably worked well playing 14.1 on slow cloths.

The King of short, compact and pokey is Hopkins.
It sure worked well for him.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ya'll ever see that tor lowrey(spelling) video where he talks slip stroke vs bar box stroke, Grady's stroke reminds me of that(the bar box style)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Fran....that kinda puts the nail on the head for his style. Punchy also comes to mind....see below.

Saw him play allot pool, at his room on the corner of Platte and Union in the mid seventies in Colorado Springs when he moved from OK, his wife was a den mother at the local strip club, red hair and a pistol. And when she staked him, and he lost, he got beat two ways. :)

What stuck out to in his style of play, other than his great Gurgling laughter:D and his skill at cards and dominos & craps, was this.

I saw it in his one pocket game allot. Never saw another player do it quite like him.

He Often took a full swing at the cue ball, with the object ball going 4 or 5 rails or more, and walk the cue ball to his intended location/target. Cue ball might travel a foot or two, while the obj. ball traveled 20 feet +-. His cue ball walking was as good as anyone, tho he seemed to do it better and more often than his peers.

Listening to the Snooker announcers in Cardiff this past week, the word Punch was a common term in their game, the announcers also mentioned Skylers Punch style, more than once, and they Like it. Very similar pocketing style in Snooker.

One time, saw em beat Buddy Hall, both their primes at Reno 9 ball, 11-0 in the eighties. He was ahead 9-0 and had a 70% make shot, but Buddy was a package man back then, you never wanted him at the table no matter what. He locked Buddy up and closed out the match.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not an instructor...

Man that rack is nuts, ha ha...

Did you guys see on rack 2 when Grady is pocketing the 9, he hits it hard, very low and outside to draw two rails out of the corner all the way to the other end of the table? What happened to all that advice of "staying on the vertical center unless you need to". No pro player that ever lived does that. This shot is a great example of that.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The King of short, compact and pokey is Hopkins.
It sure worked well for him.

Yep. Allen was definitely the king. It worked well to a point. Allen always had to play close position, even in 9 ball and he had to accept sharper angles because of that. It worked fine for straight pool but he had his problems in 9 ball, don't you think?

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep. Allen was definitely the king. It worked well to a point. Allen always had to play close position, even in 9 ball and he had to accept sharper angles because of that. It worked fine for straight pool but he had his problems in 9 ball, don't you think?

No. and this is only up to 1993.

Champion of Champions, 1973
Garden State Open, 1973
New Jersey State Open, 1974
World Open 14.1 Champion, 1977
US Open Nine-ball Champion, 1977
PPPA World Nine-ball Champion, 1977
PPPA World Nine-ball Champion, 1979
Baltimore Bullet Nine-ball Champion, 1980
US Open Nine-ball Champion, 1981
River City Nine-ball Champion, 1984
Meucci World Nine-ball Champion, 1987
Japan World Open Champion, 1988
Valley Forge Classic Champion, 1989
Legends of One-pocket Champion, January 1991
International Challenge of Champions, 1993

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[/B]

No. and this is only up to 1993.

Champion of Champions, 1973
Garden State Open, 1973
New Jersey State Open, 1974
World Open 14.1 Champion, 1977
US Open Nine-ball Champion, 1977
PPPA World Nine-ball Champion, 1977
PPPA World Nine-ball Champion, 1979
Baltimore Bullet Nine-ball Champion, 1980
US Open Nine-ball Champion, 1981
River City Nine-ball Champion, 1984
Meucci World Nine-ball Champion, 1987
Japan World Open Champion, 1988
Valley Forge Classic Champion, 1989
Legends of One-pocket Champion, January 1991
International Challenge of Champions, 1993

Forget 14.1. We're talking about 9 Ball. I watched him get close position on shots where ordinarily you don't need to do that. That's all I'm saying. Great players can make it work, but they have to work harder.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forget 14.1. We're talking about 9 Ball. I watched him get close position on shots where ordinarily you don't need to do that. That's all I'm saying. Great players can make it work, but they have to work harder.
Did you see see how many times the words "NINE BALL" are in that list????? Hoppy was a champion at EVERY game.

Welder84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, it's closer to short and pokey than it is to long and flowing.

The interesting thing about Shaun's stroke is he has no trouble getting around the big table. I watched him beat Shane, Siming and many others. He differently has to accelerate through his stroke faster to move the cue ball than most players. He is unorthodox, but very talented.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The interesting thing about Shaun's stroke is he has no trouble getting around the big table. I watched him beat Shane, Siming and many others. He differently has to accelerate through his stroke faster to move the cue ball than most players. He is unorthodox, but very talented.
Wilkie's action reminds me a lot of Hopkins' stroke. Short, quick but laser straight.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you see see how many times the words "NINE BALL" are in that list????? Hoppy was a champion at EVERY game.

I know Allen personally and I have a lot of respect for his mental game. The thing that impressed me the most was his mental toughness. With that kind of mental toughness, you can overcome just about anything, including a stroke that leaves you somewhat limited in rotation games.