how many 9 ball breaks per practice session??

judochoke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am in love with 9 ball, its all i think of before my head hits my pillow every night. (sorry, i have no life) and everything i do in my daily practice sessions is geared to 9 ball.

this is where im at today in my 9 ball develpment, if i throw 9 balls out on the table, and pretty much give each ball a path to a pocket, i do really really well. running out most times. if i break and ghost ball the rack, i still do well. but when i try to break and run, is where my percentages fall big time,(as they should as im a immediate player)

so my question is this: how many times per practice session,(which for me is daily) should i rack and break a rack of 9 ball, and try to run out???

10-15-20?? at 20 attempts times 7 days equals 140 racks per week? is this too much?

one night i did 15 racks, and kept detailed notes of each rack, and that worked out well.

thanks for any input. judo

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yo judo
no instructor, I
but the way eye see it
play what you like

I will also say that if you can break well
control the rock, and rack
running racks become much easier
so
work on your break?

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Those sound like rookie numbers, you've got to pump those numbers up!"

Not sure how quickly you play as that may dictate how many racks you may get in, for example in one hour.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's like asking, How many times should I practice a shot I keep missing?"

Answer: Until you stop missing it.

Study successful breakers and try to figure out what makes them successful. Then find a break from that group that suits your style. Then try it and experiment with it.

That's your starting point --- or you'll be spinning your wheels for a really long time, breaking rack after rack wondering if you're getting anywhere.

If you look at it as an interesting puzzle to be solved, then you won't be asking the question of how many times per practice session you should practice the break. You'll just do it until you've had enough for that day and then you'll do it again the next day until you've had enough for that day, and you'll do it again until you're happy with your break.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Even though this thread is more than a month old, I'd like to have the OP understand from many great instructors that he practices the wrong thing, the wrong way. I've mentioned this several times before, but the OP just doesn't "get it" or doesn't believe it. :rolleyes: Practice should be about doing things to improve your timing and stroke quality. Just hitting balls, even playing games of 9 ball over and over does nothing to improve your stroke. IMO this is one reason why you struggle so much in your journey to become a player. You're all about shooting shots (correctly or not) instead of practicing your stroke process! That will only get you just so far.

Scott Lee ~ not just my opinion
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

i am in love with 9 ball, its all i think of before my head hits my pillow every night. (sorry, i have no life) and everything i do in my daily practice sessions is geared to 9 ball.

this is where im at today in my 9 ball develpment, if i throw 9 balls out on the table, and pretty much give each ball a path to a pocket, i do really really well. running out most times. if i break and ghost ball the rack, i still do well. but when i try to break and run, is where my percentages fall big time,(as they should as im a immediate player)

so my question is this: how many times per practice session,(which for me is daily) should i rack and break a rack of 9 ball, and try to run out???

10-15-20?? at 20 attempts times 7 days equals 140 racks per week? is this too much?

one night i did 15 racks, and kept detailed notes of each rack, and that worked out well.

thanks for any input. judo