Elforyn ferrule for breaking?

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
I have been using elforyn for joints and butt caps and like it very well. A customer would like to use the stick I am designing to be a 'all around' stick and he will using it for breaking. Is a capped elforyn ferrule going to hold up for a good power breaker? Currently I offer ivorine 3,4, LBM, ivor-X, ivory and phenolic as ferrule choices. What other ferrule materials would be a wise choice for an all around shaft? What ferrule would you use for a dedicated break shaft? I know there's a thousand different combinations and opinions, just thought I might get a list of some of your favorites.
Thanks for looking.
Alan

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm not a cuemaker, but...
Years ago i had a Mcdermott D21 made thru their "custom" shop w/ some extras. I never used a break cue in those days. That cue had an Ivorine 3 ferrule & I never had any problems. Still have that cue (don't use it), still has the original ferrules. Would pull it out & break a rack today - no 2nd thoughts.

josie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i have put elforyn ferrules on two shafts for my cue and use it for breaking and playing. I have not had any problems and it has been about 2 months.
The ones I made are 3/4" and capped and threaded 5/16"-18

dave sutton

Banned
There may not be a problem but I Dont think it will break good. You want hard for breaking. I think elforyn will be too soft. Iv x germ my vote next to phen

aphelps1

Phelps Custom Cues
Silver Member
I've also used Iv4, but it's heavy dense stuff. It's a very good breaker, but seems to be a squirter too.

IMO
Alan

Easonscues

Easonscues.com
Silver Member
Caped buckhorn are srt8 threw work grea for playing and breaking.Caped does give a little softer hit to me and will spin the cb more than uncaped but is great for all around. I do have a elforyn caped ferulle on my player and I do break with it sometime and it breaks good .Put it on to give it a try. Jeff

joeboxer

WIAWSNB
Silver Member
I kept cracking the LBM ferrules on my cue. Used it both for Breaking and Playing. So my cuemaker installed a Glass Melamine instead of LBM, and i havent had any problems with it since. Love the way it hits also.

dave sutton

Banned
i have this crazy fiberglass ferrule material i got from someone. it hits hard and cleans up great. doesnt hold chalk. nasty stuff if it gets on your hands you burn and itch all over. i thought it would break great so i put it on and i chipped the ferrule the first break