do you use talcum powder?

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fyi, johnson and johnson will no longer be selling the stuff here (north america)
due to glut of lawsuits alleging that j&j powder use can cause cancer
google it to find your favorite news outlet reporting

with the glove out there, and "in my case," hand sanitizer
does anybody still use talc?

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So rarely that you could say barely never. So sparingly when I do you could say I barely have any on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, I haven't needed any since leaving the old non air-conditioned pool hall in Kentucky.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fyi, johnson and johnson will no longer be selling the stuff here (north america)
due to glut of lawsuits alleging that j&j powder use can cause cancer
google it to find your favorite news outlet reporting

with the glove out there, and "in my case," hand sanitizer
does anybody still use talc?

They are no longer making talc based powder, IIRC the article I read said they will continue making corn starch based, which is just as good.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No , Hated it back then in the old Non air condition pool hall in Ky , it always seem to make my cue shaft to dirty. I did not like it . The pool hall had that big cone of talc. I just shot without it using a scotch brite green pad on my shaft back then and it was always slick . I can still smell that pool hall and taste that wonderful chili .

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are no longer making talc based powder, IIRC the article I read said they will continue making corn starch based, which is just as good.

for sure
tho I probably wouldn't buy it from j&j
corn starch is good to have in the cupboard

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I don't know how much of this is real and how much of this is a money grab by mesothelioma lawyers.

My father died from mesothelioma. It's a tough way to go. Asbestos was rampant in the construction industry until it was banned in the 1970's. It can imbed itself in your tissue for 20 or 30 or 40 years before it causes cancer and kills you. In his case, it was the lungs.

Baby Powder obviously should NOT have asbestos it it and shame on anybody for using a substance that could contain it.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know how much of this is real and how much of this is a money grab by mesothelioma lawyers.

My father died from mesothelioma. It's a tough way to go. Asbestos was rampant in the construction industry until it was banned in the 1970's. It can imbed itself in your tissue for 20 or 30 or 40 years before it causes cancer and kills you. In his case, it was the lungs.

Baby Powder obviously should NOT have asbestos it it and shame on anybody for using a substance that could contain it.

The structure of talc is chemically similar to asbestos, and it is also found in the ground where talc is mined. In the 70s when they realized it was harmful, J&J worked to remove it (it was minor trace amounts). In testing, there has been no asbestos in the baby powder since the early 80s.

Now that said, judges are finding in favor of people (mostly women) who say they used it in their underwear, and it caused their ovarian cancer.

Possible? Possibly. Likely? No. Even the American Cancer Society says there is little to no chance of it being the cause.

But its a multi-billion dollar corporation versus the little guys.

If you go back, a lot of the settlements, if not most have been reversed after the initial rulings. But the reversals dont make headlines like the original, "Granny from Omaha awarded 100 million dollars because the big bad company gave her cancer."

Last edited:

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was taught early not to depend on talc, it was not always available where I played so don’t make it an important part of my game

Over the years the pros used talc a lot. I think a glove makes more sense.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I clean the shafts and lube with Turtle Wax Ice; a synthetic. I don't shake the bottle and the solids never get onto the cue. Whatever does feels like silicone and works better than powder for sure.

The big problem with stick friction is still pool chalk. I take steps to keep it off the shaft.

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
Our pool room does not allow powder in the room period....It made to much of a mess on the cloth, the tables the floor and every day they spent hours cleaning it up.So none allowed..

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
No talcum for me....but it was an easy decision...my hands don’t sweat much.
I got sympathy for people with moist hands...the glove solved the problem.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I've never used it myself. I use a closed bridge about half the time and my skin formed callouses there - no sweat at all even during warm and humid conditions.

Buckzapper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You break out some baby powder, we're done playing. Go cover someone else's table with it.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Talcum powder causes skids, which are yet another, though, far less serious, cancer as far as accomplished pool players are concerned.

If your hands sweat too much, use a glove.