Ridgeback Rails

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who have experience with the Ridgeback "pro" rails, the claim is that they are close to Diamond pockets.

How do they compare in geometry, playability etc?

How are they in general, playability wise?

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Stich of the MPA, sets up all of his tournament tables with Ridgeback rails and Mercury Ultra cloth. I’m not sure if they are the Pro or original replacement. Definitely an improvement, halfway between a Diamond and a Valley. You still have the shallower shelf, and they don’t bank as narrow as a Diamond. No dull thud or odd angles, coming off a rail. The rails play very consistent.

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
Our pool room installed them 2 years ago and they play great...So much so several league players had them installed on their home tables...

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After a little research, I'm pretty sure those tables did not have the pro rails. Gotta be lots of people around that have played on them. Several members here have posted on them in the past. Are you considering modifying a table or preparing for a tournament?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
penny wise pound foolish. dedicate a room for pool with expensive tables, ball , cue stick, and then save on the cloth and rails. which arethe main part of pool which affects the play of the game.

except of course the brand of chalk you use.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They make a valley better.
If I was on a budget, I would be happy.
Maybe 1500 all set up instead of 3500-4k.

In my opinion, lipstick on a pig.
If you have the $ get a diamond.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After a little research, I'm pretty sure those tables did not have the pro rails. Gotta be lots of people around that have played on them. Several members here have posted on them in the past. Are you considering modifying a table or preparing for a tournament?

I don't remember those tables having tight pockets.
Been a few years since I've played on them though.
They may be valleys but John always has good
cloth on them and does his best to keep them playing
well.

SamShaddey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Almost all tourneys in my area still play on bar box i installed said rails on my table years ago. When i go out to tourneys i feel like the tables have buckets for pockets. FYI if the play in my area ever moved to diamond tables so would I! But as for question I don’t have much problem switching to diamond from the pro cut rails other than bank angles.

SamShaddey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also look in the table difficulty stickie and the top of main page. And pro cut do give you a larger shelf. Most bars and tourneys will use standard cut ridge back rails. Helps tournament move faster and in bars people like to make balls not get rejected.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Also look in the table difficulty stickie and the top of main page. And pro cut do give you a larger shelf. Most bars and tourneys will use standard cut ridge back rails. Helps tournament move faster and in bars people like to make balls not get rejected.

Tightening up the pockets without modifying the shelf always gives you a shallower shelf. Its simple geometry.

rjb1168

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They are great rails, had them on our valley with 760 simonis for
about 6 - 7 years now. recommend anyone with a valley to buy a set.
I paid 140 for the rails back then. They are not pro cut.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys!

I did quite a bit of reading on them, but could not find an actual statement comparing them.

Im in a situation where I might be sticking a valley in a garage in a few months, and sometime later upgrade to something else maybe.

I have a line on an 8' valley thats got some type of aftermarket rails and simonis on it for a good price. SO might end up just sticking with that if it can be made to play closer to a diamond than a valley.

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just ordered ridgeback standards last week, have not got them yet, Kerry said he would be sending them out this week, I will give you some feedback after I install and play on them.
Tom

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve had the ridgeback pro cut rails for over a year now. They are tighter than diamond pro cut pockets without a doubt!...,the pocket opening is 4 1/8 and tapers down to 3 5/8. They will spit balls out all day long and as the cloth breaks in it gets worse. Banking is on the tighter side..,That is assuming you set the height of the rail per Kerry’s specs. In no way will your table play like a regular valley! The rails are definitely quality and will make you really focus on shooting straight!

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
The Pro ridgebacks are both longer and thicker, hence deeper shelf. I have not played on them, info on their site.

I stand corrected, thank you. Im assuming they must make up the difference with the thickness of the cushion backing and that the end and side rails are different thicknesses so that the table maintains the proper 2-1 ratio??

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's a good question, and I can't answer it. Ridgebackrails.net is down for a rebuild. I couldn't find the site, that listed the specs, on the pro rails.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think I would do this

Thanks guys!

I did quite a bit of reading on them, but could not find an actual statement comparing them.

Im in a situation where I might be sticking a valley in a garage in a few months, and sometime later upgrade to something else maybe.

I have a line on an 8' valley thats got some type of aftermarket rails and simonis on it for a good price. SO might end up just sticking with that if it can be made to play closer to a diamond than a valley.

I bought a used Valley from a moving company a few months ago. somebody has modified it, Four and a half inch corners, about four and three-quarter side pockets. The rails all play consistently after tightening the bolts gently. I had planned ridgeback rails but the rails seem to have been replaced by the last owner. Home job, recover and all. Could be better, I have played on a lot worse!

If you can get into the eight foot table right where you can resell it fairly easily I think I would get it for the time being. Neither fish nor fowl but it will still help your game a lot sitting in your garage and you can always go for 627 when you get bored!

Hu