Viking Quick Release

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Does anyone know what the pin is on the Viking Quick Release. I'm thinking about buying an OB break shaft for an old viking butt that just collects dust all day long. Thanks in advance. I have a hunch it might not be available, though.

Justin.

HDR10

HR Custom Cues
Silver Member
only Viking Q/R I have dealt with was 5/16 X18!
cheap/easy way to find out is buy a nut in 5/16X18 from the hardware store(less than a $1)

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
If it's a Viking QR pin, the nut trick won't work.
The aligning portion at the front of the pin is larger than the minor diameter of the 5/16x18 nut's thread. The nut won't get past it.

I'm pretty sure that OB makes a shaft for your cue. I suggest that you inquire.

To any CM that's not aware of how to accommodate the Viking pin, the answer is quite simple.
The 5/16x18 thrd. insert is drilled with a 17/64" drill-bit, either before or after installation. This opens the min. dia. of the insert's thrds. to clear the aligning portion and still leaves adequate threads to make a secure connection with the threads at the base of the pin. I've done it 100s of times.

Newton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB Cues makes a special shaft which matches the Viking QR joint.
Over in my end I have never had any in stock but according to Royce's web page
you should be cool :http://www.obcues.com/fitment1.html

Many players over here has been surprised with the power and control the OB
break cue gives so testing out the shaft on your Viking is for sure worth trying.

K

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it's a Viking QR pin, the nut trick won't work.
The aligning portion at the front of the pin is larger than the minor diameter of the 5/16x18 nut's thread. The nut won't get past it.

I'm pretty sure that OB makes a shaft for your cue. I suggest that you inquire.

To any CM that's not aware of how to accommodate the Viking pin, the answer is quite simple.
The 5/16x18 thrd. insert is drilled with a 17/64" drill-bit, either before or after installation. This opens the min. dia. of the insert's thrds. to clear the aligning portion and still leaves adequate threads to make a secure connection with the threads at the base of the pin. I've done it 100s of times.

Yes, I've done it this way a number of times but not nearly as often as you have.

Dick

RBC

Deceased
JusticeNJ

Just give us a call tomorrow. We can make the break shaft for the Viking Quick Release.

Yes, the guys are right in that it is an 18 thread insert with a larger minor diameter. However, the diameter of the cue at the joint is different too. Most 18 threaded cues are .830", but the Viking is .840". We offer both. Either can be used on all 18 threaded cues, but only the larger with the modified insert will fit on the Viking cues.

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com
877-399-9901

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies folks! Royce, I'll be in touch when I get the funds! Thank you!