Kamui chalk

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I have found the perfect system. Best money I have spent on pool in a long time. We can't all afford a custom Searing or Szamboti cue or maybe not even a custom cue at all. We can all certainly afford the best chalk. Or at least I believe is the best, as well as do a lot of others.

You hit the nail on the head.No matter what cue or shaft you have, finding the best tip that suits the combination of your play and the cue actually has a very big impact on the potting rate of balls over multiple games.
Add to that, finding the best chalk combination is just as important.Afterall it is the chalk the tip that make the cueball do as you are expecting.
I see people complain about prices all the time. I bet they still buy bottled water once in a while, and it falls free from the sky in most places.

I am glad you have seen the light with the chalk. Tuning and finding the right tip is not so easy for conventional cue shafts.

Neil

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It`s stupid expensive, but very nice chalk, especially the 0.98 version.
I`ve had a cube for about two months now and i play around 10-15 hours a week and I`m only 1/3 down in the chalk, so it`s long lasting compared to the Predator chalk.
My hands stay cleaner for longer too.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When the cue balls are polished and clean the clump isn't as much of a factor.

But the second they get dirty the cue ball gets the blue measles. Not as much with the 1.21.

I don't think it really effects the outcome of the shots very often but it definitely freaks some people out.

They wipe right off which could be done in between racks.

Dud

thats true the CB stays cleaner if its polished or new, most of the time, i have a couple measles CB's that get dotted up real bad no matter what chalk I use(thats a different topic).

I also agree that even if the CB is all dotted up there isnt as many kicks or skids or bad contacts with Kamui 98 as there is sandy chalks. I attribute that to friction.

When the rock is dirty I just wipe it off, if its real bad, I mark where its at(if its in a game) and clean and put it back. thats when there is a chunk of something on it, if its cosmetic it dont bother me at all, i like to shit up the cloth with talc, dirty CB, Masters chalk dust on the rails etc. but thats just me.:wink:

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I go out to play I normally scuff my tip a little (kamui black med) then put a layer of .98 kamui chalk on it. Rest of the night I play with predator chalk. Seems to work great this way.

Dudley

english happy
Silver Member
thats true the CB stays cleaner if its polished or new, most of the time, i have a couple measles CB's that get dotted up real bad no matter what chalk I use(thats a different topic).

I also agree that even if the CB is all dotted up there isnt as many kicks or skids or bad contacts with Kamui 98 as there is sandy chalks. I attribute that to friction.

When the rock is dirty I just wipe it off, if its real bad, I mark where its at(if its in a game) and clean and put it back. thats when there is a chunk of something on it, if its cosmetic it dont bother me at all, i like to shit up the cloth with talc, dirty CB, Masters chalk dust on the rails etc. but thats just me.:wink:

In the end as the equipment changes the more experienced, more aware player has the advantage. Balls only skid if you hit them in a way that they can.. :)

When the table gets in one's head it's their own fault... not the table.

On another topic-- what's the best pool room to play at in Munich? I seem to remember you were there for a spell and I'm going to be there in a month or so.

Dudley

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
i use the 98 & love it!!!!! i can typically play 2-3 racks of 9 or 10 ball without chalking,

I can do the same thing with Russian Magic chalk... and I suspect probably with Blue Diamond as well. Anyone that uses BD can weigh in here... can you shoot 2-3 racks without chalking ?

Both are a fraction of the cost of the Kamaui. Again, sounds like Kamaui is very good chalk, it appears as good as Magic and Blue Diamond, I just have a hard time figuring out why it costs 10 times more ? What exactly makes it that much more expensive ?

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
chalk

I chalk up between every shot, does any one think that using kamui chalk going to improve anything ?

Watch the video that john barton did on kamui chalk.
Didn't see any difference .

I do not want to change my chalking routine. .

MMike

Last edited:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have used Kamui for a while now and initially i was liking it, now I`m not so sure anymore. The chalk makes a mess on the table and wears much more quickly than i thought.
The chalk also chips quite bad.
I`m not sure i get better contact with the cueball either. Misscuing is mainly stroke failiure not chalk related.
I play with the predator chalk now and that works like a charm.

cluelesscuer

I think people have the wrong perspective with regards to Kamui chalk.

It shouldn't be used or thought of as normal chalk. If you do, then yes, its a ripoff.

I will keep in my pocket and just put it on before an important match and/or draw shots. But just use the house chalk or my own cheap Masters or Blue Diamond chalk for my in-between shots.

I would say I use my Kamui chalk an average of 2/3 times a night. It would probably take over a year for me to use the piece I have up.

(Because of this viewpoint on using Kamui chalk -- I think getting the .98 is better since I am not looking for a piece of chalk to use between every shot.)

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a hard time understanding why people keep hammering on the price.

The price does not matter one bit.

Will you make more balls with a Southwest than you would with a Cuetec? No. But what cue looks better to you? What cue makes you feel more confident? What cue would help you enjoy the game more?

It's not about the price... it's about performance and personal preference. Anyone who would rather play with an entry level production cue, instead of a top notch custom, will probably prefer to play with Master chalk over Kamui... and there is nothing wrong with that. You aren't part of the target market for this product, anyway.

Kamui isn't trying to take all of the business from Master, Blue Diamond, Predator, etc... and become the #1 selling chalk in the world. They are, however, offering an option that has not existed before (not widely, anyway) when it comes to billiard chalk. It may be a premium option, with a price tag to match, but there is a market for it and they are going after it. Good for them! They are a company that supports pool, sponsors players and tournaments, and is creating niche products to serve a market that had not been served before. All of these are good things.

Just realize that, if you are one of those people who is appalled by the price, that the product is not meant for you. That shouldn't matter though, as you already have many options that are meant for you. The vast majority of people who can afford a custom cue and some high end chalk aren't balking at the price, so it's obviously not priced "too high." It's just a higher price tag than we are used to for chalk... but it's also a different chalk than we are used to.

New things are good for the game... I know that may seem like a strange concept to some, but it's true.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
i like the .98 the best, i baked mine in my car for a week, then it was REAL good. I let it sit on the dash in the sun 100+ degrees. It seemed to make it last longer. Its worth the $, if ya gotta sweat the price of chalk-take up bird watching, its cheaper.....

Lmao eric!

Using my cube also more than a year.
I like the soft feeling of the chalk.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

thelmstetter

Tomcat
Silver Member
I have paid just as much for other products and books, just to gain even a little edge and I didn't even use it on every shot.

mel_smOg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally like 1.21, tried 0.98 and thought it leaves too much stuff on the cue ball after contact, 0.98 is softer than 1.21 so that could be a reason

tried Predator chalk when it came out and it was complete mess: hands, shafts, ball and cloth were covered in chalk, so messy. I just gave it away for free since I could not make myself sell garbage for 10$

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
I have a hard time understanding why people keep hammering on the price.

The price does not matter one bit.

Will you make more balls with a Southwest than you would with a Cuetec? No. But what cue looks better to you? What cue makes you feel more confident? What cue would help you enjoy the game more?

It's not about the price... it's about performance and personal preference. Anyone who would rather play with an entry level production cue, instead of a top notch custom, will probably prefer to play with Master chalk over Kamui... and there is nothing wrong with that. You aren't part of the target market for this product, anyway.

Kamui isn't trying to take all of the business from Master, Blue Diamond, Predator, etc... and become the #1 selling chalk in the world. They are, however, offering an option that has not existed before (not widely, anyway) when it comes to billiard chalk. It may be a premium option, with a price tag to match, but there is a market for it and they are going after it. Good for them! They are a company that supports pool, sponsors players and tournaments, and is creating niche products to serve a market that had not been served before. All of these are good things.

Just realize that, if you are one of those people who is appalled by the price, that the product is not meant for you. That shouldn't matter though, as you already have many options that are meant for you. The vast majority of people who can afford a custom cue and some high end chalk aren't balking at the price, so it's obviously not priced "too high." It's just a higher price tag than we are used to for chalk... but it's also a different chalk than we are used to.

New things are good for the game... I know that may seem like a strange concept to some, but it's true.

tap tap tap

agree 100 % with your posting.

No reason to buy an expensive cue (but i did), no reason to buy expensive chalk (but i did) , no reason to buy an expensive tip (but i did).

i made my best scores with a 80 bucks cue-tech cue- and with a 300 bucks McDermott, both had LePro Tips on it. I used normal Master chalk.

Why did i change? Because i CAN and because I WANT IT and bc it satisfies me somehow,

bw,
Ingo

Pre-Flag Master

Cue Ball Man
Silver Member
i like the .98 the best, i baked mine in my car for a week, then it was REAL good. I let it sit on the dash in the sun 100+ degrees. It seemed to make it last longer. Its worth the $, if ya gotta sweat the price of chalk-take up bird watching, its cheaper.....

So after baking the Kamui, did it actually play better still? Or are you just saying that making it harder and last longer was the only significant improvement?

Also, what I didn't like about Kamui, was that there was a little cakiness when going on the tip, and as mentioned earlier, it transfers to the cue ball some. Now I'm wondering of baking it actually reduces these issues. Did you notice an improvement there?

thanks
Fatz