Best ways to focus without pills

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
hmm

Meditation and hypnosis can help. Honestly I have played well focused and "unfocused" before. Ever run a rack and completely forget what happened after the 9 ball drops. Thats cool. Auto pilot is the ultimate way to play but getting that feeling is tough. Its like driving a car. You just know.

Gotboost95

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Run from the damned pills......
They ruin games and lives
<~~~~~~~~~ speaking from experience. About 10 yrs worth

I hear you. And I've said to my wife before if I had an unlimited supply of pills I'd be in trouble. I enjoy them. But I also know I have family members with addiction issues. So I don't drink, or do any other heavy drugs for that reason.

Had way too many friends lost to the herion game. Awful and sad existence. That's why until this back issue I've never had more then 1 bottle of prescription and never refilled. Didn't want to risk getting hooked.

Meditation and hypnosis can help. Honestly I have played well focused and "unfocused" before. Ever run a rack and completely forget what happened after the 9 ball drops. Thats cool. Auto pilot is the ultimate way to play but getting that feeling is tough. Its like driving a car. You just know.

I have been in the zone before. Haven't really figured out how I geot there. But yes I've ran many of racks that all I heard was a small mumble from the loud ass bar. Until the game I over and my team/ or buddies are cheering.

Gotboost95

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played on a double shimmed table yesterday, if that doesn't make you focus more, nothing will! :thumbup:

I always play on double shimmed Gold Crowns. Yes, makes you focus on center pocket because on a power shot you can't cheat them.

Yeah we have a local hall in Portland that has two 4" pocket gold crowns. Usually will go practice there and get beat up before our local qualifier. But then you go play on a 7' Diamond and it feels like playing pool on your coffee table. And it then seems like you can force follow or draw anything and still get it to drop.

Dockter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played some of my best pool when I was on adderall, now that stuff keeps you focused.

I normally take a 5 hour energy or two because I don't like coffee.

SeabrookMiglla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ive been reading books in my down time, like fiction etc. ive noticed it works pretty good on helping me clear my head and focus. clears my mind, kind of like a brain excecise i guess you could say when you are constantly building scenes in your head.

You're not alone. Lots of the players everyone idolized over the years took drugs to enhance their performance. Your reason for taking them was different, but now you understand why they made the choice to take them in a manner that is considered cheating.

If you tend towards being nervous in competition, then it makes sense that the drugs you took had a calming effect. Find ways to get calm and you will be able to focus. With back issues, it's probably hard to exercise, but exercise really does help relieve stress and calm your nerves, if you can do it.

Another way to relieve stress is through meditation.

Wouldn't surprise me if virtually every champion from the past was using somehing, whatever the game. Many in the present, too.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Meditate away from the table. Focus on your breathing while at the table.

edd

Trance Doc
Silver Member
If you were using pain pills for a while it may take your brain a little time to get used to playing without them.

Not unlike players who say they just can't play without a few drinks. If you're used to playing with alcohol affecting your brain, it will take time to re-train your brain to play straight.

Many years ago, I tried playing while using alcohol, pot, cocaine and a few other substances. And I occasionally had a little success. But by my late twenties it had become clear that I played my best when avoiding all mind-altering stuff.

It is important to bear in mind, that pool is defined as a precision, non-reactive sport. This, without doubt, places a premium on focus, visualization and anxiety moderation. Any exercise that fosters this skill is highly recommended: mindfulness meditation, hypnosis, yoga, Tai Chi.......