Would you pay $75 to have your shaft converted to reduced deflection ?

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I had a shaft that I did not anticipate ever using, perhaps I would consider the alteration. But when faced with that choice, I went with a shaft from an LD manufacturer. I use secondary shafts for experimenting with tips.

Poolfiend

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This seems like a good idea for anyone playing with a Revo if they don't want to spend $500 for a matching back up shaft. You could have your standard maple shaft converted to LD so it plays closer to the Revo should you ever need it.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lot of contingencies.:smile:

I'm still learning and only make cues for people i know, so take this with a grain of salt.
I drill most shafts i make, 7" - 9" deep. if you can do the work starting over on a _finished_ shaft, $75 is too cheap! For one thing, taking "a lot" of wood off the inside can cause a shaft blank to warp, just like taking it off the outside so the risk factor is there. OTOH, 5" is more stable than deeper. Would i pay someone to do it on a solid shaft? probably not for reasons stated by others above. Either the shaft plays well so i would not want to mess with success, or it does not play well and it would probably be better to save up and have a custom LD made from scratch.

BTW: taking a random solid shaft of your own or other make and converting it - is it immediately an obviously better performer?

If so & you can provide that service for $75 including CF tube, ferrule and tip, you earned it! All it takes is a few people that are happy, and it could be a new market.

smt

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shaft will lose at least 1/10th MM in diameter up front.

In the metric system the prefix milli is 'm' while the prefix MEGA is 'M'.

So you are guaranteeing that you won't take 100,000 meters (100 kilometers) off a shaft that is less than 1 meter long.

Seams like an easy thing to guarantee, but get the capitalization correct if you bother to use the metric system.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
In the metric system the prefix milli is 'm' while the prefix MEGA is 'M'.

So you are guaranteeing that you won't take 100,000 meters (100 kilometers) off a shaft that is less than 1 meter long.

Seams like an easy thing to guarantee, but get the capitalization correct if you bother to use the metric system.

Ok. let's just keep it simple.
.004"
1mm is about .0394"

Joey~Not into metric prefixes but knows his pants have seams and seem is a verb~

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, I would just bye a new shaft unless the shaft was a piece of poop and I didn’t care about hosing it up.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Dzuricky makes shafts with carbon fibre rods in them. I have made shafts with 3/8" carbon fibre rod about 6" deep into the shaft.
They play fine, I don't makes them less than 12.5mm.
In my experience they play stiffer, but not really super low deflection.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Mr. Dzuricky makes shafts with carbon fibre rods in them. I have made shafts with 3/8" carbon fibre rod about 6" deep into the shaft.
They play fine, I don't makes them less than 12.5mm.
In my experience they play stiffer, but not really super low deflection.

Next time, use a tube. 😂

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play with cues made by knowledgable cue makers and I want their cues to play the way their cues play. Otherwise, I would just use a decent production cue and call it a day.

I don't care how knowledgeable your cue makers are, or how knowledgeable you are, but NO two cues, shafts, or combinations thereof, play the same.

Sometimes a cue/shaft is a dog and, using your strategy, I guess that is the way you "want their cue/shaft to play".

I have had HOF cue makers shafts, that were supposedly IDENTICAL and they played COMPLETELY different (in stiffness, in deflection, in feel, even while on the same butt built by the same cue maker). Did he want his shafts to play differently?

I DIDN'T.

Sometimes shafts can be IMPROVED by modifying something (taper, ferrule, tip, etc.)

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't without some type of snazzy sales pitch with some slides and stuff with some science(lol), or if you sponsor a pro I like and he gives the thumbs up I might give it a whirl

Similarly, if someone I knew had it done and I tried it and liked it, of course, I would do it or if it became all the rage on the forums here, with lots of satisfied folks.

I really wouldn't want to spend money to upgrade a shaft I like, incase I don't like the finished product. and the heck with spending money to upgrade something I don't like.

I'd be more much likely to buy a plain maple shaft from you to enjoy and test out.

I am pretty simple guy, been playing a 1 piece cue, so my input ain't worth to much

c-money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two 31" ferruleless shafts drilled/filled with expanding gorilla glue topped with a carbon fibre pad.
Plays like a dream.
No dead hit here.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two 31" ferruleless shafts drilled/filled with expanding gorilla glue topped with a carbon fibre pad.
Plays like a dream.
No dead hit here.

My old 29" $ shaft has a hole filled with air, tip backed by regular fiber pad, plays as good as any and better than my BB no ferrule without the hole.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
It will be drilled at least 5" . Carbon fiber tube will be used for tenon.
New lightweight but durable ferrule will be installed. Carbon fiber pad will be added.
The same length as your ferrule now. Less if you don't mind the shaft being a little shorter .
Premium tips are extra of course .

The shaft will lose at least 1/10th MM in diameter up front.

No, I don't think I would.

Hollow shafts always hit hollow. Never seen an exception to this rule. The shaft won't feel solid and the reduction in deflection will probably not be consistent from shaft to shaft. After a while you start to recognize the weak and "clicky" hit from a hollow shaft. It may not strike you in the beginning, but after a while it starts to bug you (or at least it does me). Predator Z's are the prime example. After a while you begin to recognize this hit in all hollow shafts. Some are better than others, but it can never quite be masked. There's no getting around it, unless you use carbon fibre for the whole shaft, which has other problems.

I might pay 150 dollars for a shaft that has been made like this just for an experiment, if I get to try it first. Maybe even 200 dollars if it was extremely well made. It would have to beat the McDermott G-core at the very least and at least be on par with a Predator 314 to be worth considering. Don't forget I could get a used but nice Predator shaft of my desire for probably around 100 dollars at the pool hall, whenever the next sucker gets tricked into buying one of their 500 dollar wonders. Makes it hard to want to take a leap on an unproven (to me) concept that may be a huge disappointment.

But there is no way in hell I'm paying you (or anyone else) 75 dollars to potentially ruin one of my shafts. My experience with cue repair people is less than stellar. "My lathe exploded". "My dog's getting puppies". "Religious holiday" (of course the excuses are not quite this silly, but after a while they begin to sound like that). Meanwhile I'm waiting 1 year on a refinish...

I wish you good luck, but if I were you, I'd buy blanks and sell ready made shafts. That way you won't have to explain why the customers favourite shaft got ruined (by accident in the lathe), or just underperform in that persons opinion. If you proceed, I hope you have good nerves....It won't be fun having to replace 3-400 dollar shafts from near impossible to source makers...Unreasonable people are found on both sides of the counter. Some customers are just impossible to please. Maybe it would be better for sales to charge a premium price, like 300 dollars or something. People are suckers for expensive "custom" products.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, I don't think I would.

Hollow shafts always hit hollow. Never seen an exception to this rule. The shaft won't feel solid and the reduction in deflection will probably not be consistent from shaft to shaft.

I might pay 150 dollars for a shaft that has been made like this, if I get to try it first. Maybe even 200 dollars if it was extremely well made. It would have to beat the McDermott G-core at the very least. Don't forget I could get a used but nice Predator shaft of my desire for probably around 100 dollars at the pool hall, whenever the next sucker gets tricked into buying one of their 500 dollar wonders. Makes it hard to want to take a leap on an unproven (to me) concept that may be a huge disappointment.

But there is no way in hell I'm paying you (or anyone else) 75 dollars to potentially ruin one of my shafts. My experience with cue repair people is less than stellar. "My lathe exploded". "My dog's getting puppies". "Religious holiday". Meanwhile I'm waiting 1 year on a refinish...

I wish you good luck, but if I were you, I'd buy blanks and sell ready made shafts. That way you won't have to explain why the customers favourite shaft got ruined (by accident in the lathe), or just underperform in that persons opinion.

I'm with you on one point.

There is no way in hell that I'm taking a shaft that I think plays really well and having it modified.

Like you, I may buy something like that if I had a chance to try it out, liked it, and it fit my cue.