Improving table tech

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got to thinking about this recently when I looked into smart cameras and billiards. Not much work has been done there.

Color coded or "marked" pockets - Right now all the pockets look the same. Imagine a shape like triangle, diamond or a color for each pocket. For one pocket on a scoreboard a specific player could be blue or red instead of a relative left/right pocket.

Smart kitchen lines - a laser that determines if a ball is in our out

Automated score keeping and stats - Innings, balls pocketed, etc.

Racking - Tilted rack detection and other basics

Automated leveling

Automated condition analysis - humidity, hours of play on cloth, etc.

Good/hit bad hit calls (would require cameras) - Could be done pulled off with smart cameras that would zoom in. Poeple already do this with smartphone cameras all the time.

The holy grail - Automated racking :)

This may be too much tech for some but whether we want it or not technology will increase in our footprint over time.

What are some innovations you would like to see in the future?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got to thinking about this recently when I looked into smart cameras and billiards. Not much work has been done there.

Color coded or "marked" pockets - Right now all the pockets look the same. Imagine a shape like triangle, diamond or a color for each pocket. For one pocket on a scoreboard a specific player could be blue or red instead of a relative left/right pocket.

Smart kitchen lines - a laser that determines if a ball is in our out

Automated score keeping and stats - Innings, balls pocketed, etc.

Racking - Tilted rack detection and other basics

Automated leveling

Automated condition analysis - humidity, hours of play on cloth, etc.

Good/hit bad hit calls (would require cameras) - Could be done pulled off with smart cameras that would zoom in. Poeple already do this with smartphone cameras all the time.

The holy grail - Automated racking :)

This may be too much tech for some but whether we want it or not technology will increase in our footprint over time.

What are some innovations you would like to see in the future?
One thing i'd like to see: a cell-phone detector/destroyer system. It would detect any active phones in a poolroom and either shut-them down or render them useless. Seriously, i like going to a place that hasn't been invaded by technology. What was listed in OP can pretty much be accomplished without going all tech. Tech is great when needed but tech just for tech's sake is not. I've played for about 40yrs and have never felt the need for any of this. My $.02, nothing more.