Question about McDermott 3/8x10 joints

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a McDermott cue that I don't play with anymore. I can attest to the difficulty involved with screwing it together. It's quite the workout lol
All my McD's were like that. Even as they got used they were still really snug.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Standard 3/8x10. Scroll down to see difference: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=474164 Fourth post down.

I compared to that pic last night and realize the flat groove isn't really what the modified looks like. However, my RS-1 has a very pointed (V) groove. So maybe it's the RS-1 that has an oddball thread.

I have multliple 3/8x10 shafts. Some fit the RS-1 tight but they all fit the G-Series.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I compared to that pic last night and realize the flat groove isn't really what the modified looks like. However, my RS-1 has a very pointed (V) groove. So maybe it's the RS-1 that has an oddball thread.

I have multliple 3/8x10 shafts. Some fit the RS-1 tight but they all fit the G-Series.
The pin in your pic is just the standard 3/8x10 pin. The modified flat-bottom is altogether different. Standard shafts can easily be altered to fit the modified. Just putting a standard shaft onto a mod. pin is not a good idea. Its one or the other.

icucybe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a G series McDermott cue that came with a G-core shaft. I have used all McDermott's i-Shafts, as well as all OB Cues shaft on my cue-butt with absolutely no issues at the expo. Bought mine around 2013.

Something must be off with yours, maybe it was dropped on the floor taking it out of the case without joint protectors?

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Older McDermott shafts are not made to be interchangeable.

Each shaft is made for the butt it came with.

And the shaft collars were always all different diameters.

Could be as much as a .030 thousands difference.

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probable answer to the riddle

When you call McDermott you never really know who you're gonna get. Often you'll get a receptionist type who tries to help without wanting to bother anybody else, but today I got a guy who had production experience and knew exactly what I was describing to him. It seems that in spite of trying to use the same hardware supplier when ordering pins, sometimes the supplier itself has a batch of pins that may have a very slight variance from the previous batch. So, it can be a bit of a crapshoot, depending on when a particular cue was made. This would explain why a butt and shaft usually go together smoothly when shipped together-they hand fit them before shipping. But introduce a shaft made at a different time and maybe, maybe not.

He says if you encounter such a problem the solution is easy: just run a 3/8x10 tap into the shaft threads. He usually backs the tap out halfway to clear the sawdust. He did say that 3/8x10 taps can sometimes be hard to find. When I asked if they used standard or modified he said he had never heard of modified so he supposed standard.

He further said they had let a batch of mid extensions get out a while back that were slightly out of spec, so that would explain my problems there.

Could anyone confirm that recent production McD 3/8x10 pins are indeed standard and not modified? Mine are all at my other house with my table and I won't see them until the weekend.

I'm hopeful this works. It makes sense.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you call McDermott you never really know who you're gonna get. Often you'll get a receptionist type who tries to help without wanting to bother anybody else, but today I got a guy who had production experience and knew exactly what I was describing to him. It seems that in spite of trying to use the same hardware supplier when ordering pins, sometimes the supplier itself has a batch of pins that may have a very slight variance from the previous batch. So, it can be a bit of a crapshoot, depending on when a particular cue was made. This would explain why a butt and shaft usually go together smoothly when shipped together-they hand fit them before shipping. But introduce a shaft made at a different time and maybe, maybe not.

He says if you encounter such a problem the solution is easy: just run a 3/8x10 tap into the shaft threads. He usually backs the tap out halfway to clear the sawdust. He did say that 3/8x10 taps can sometimes be hard to find. When I asked if they used standard or modified he said he had never heard of modified so he supposed standard.

He further said they had let a batch of mid extensions get out a while back that were slightly out of spec, so that would explain my problems there.

Could anyone confirm that recent production McD 3/8x10 pins are indeed standard and not modified? Mine are all at my other house with my table and I won't see them until the weekend.

I'm hopeful this works. It makes sense.
Again, they use this: http://www.mcdermottcue.com/mcdermott_custom_build_cue.php Scroll down to joint types. That pin on the left is what they've used since they started. That's a standard(not modified) 3/8x10 pin. The one in your cue in that photo is same pin.