NEW CF Carbon Fiber Shaft Not Straight. Input Needed

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
I didn't see anything here about the dealers response, all I saw was you wrote two paragraphs on why you should and were going to hold off on saying who made it...followed in the next sentence by telling us who it was.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fair enough. lol
Post #10
Shorty34, great info!

Well I seem to be getting conflicting info on CF shafts.

According to these comments, I'm led to believe they should be perfectly straight / roll flat??

However, the dealers response is: "All Carbon Fiber shafts (including ***** and *****) have a very slight roll to them, because there is a flat in the shaft (out of round)."

They did offer an exchange or refund "Upon inspection", but now I'm wondering...

Post #28
The dealer HAS offered to make it right, but, "with stipulations". The "stipulations" is the concerning part because a return/exchange hinges on their assertion that "all CF shafts have a slight roll". This directly contradicts people saying their CFs are laser-straight...

Well, I asked what should be expected in terms of straightness and it sounds like there's some disagreement on the subject... I guess ultimately, as the buyer, I have to decide what I feel is acceptable. Shopping online does have its challenges.

I'll try posting a video of the roll tomorrow if I have time. Thanks for the feedback.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
I have a Jacoby black shaft and it doesn’t look anything like that. Rolls perfectly straight. You shouldn’t feel bad about returning it.

Awesome, BRussell. Appreciate for the vote of confidence.

This cake was baked with 1-part uncertain whether it was normal, 1-part wanting to just keep it, and 2-parts not settling for a blem.

Next time I'll ask if they could roll it first, or I'll just buy it in person.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
This isn't the 1st time I've read that the Meucci CF Pro didn't roll great. With that said I owned one that I bought at the expo and I never rolled it to check for straightness. I also sold it and never received a complainer saying it wasn't straight from the buyer.

I've never personally rolled a shaft when buying a cue whether it was wood or CF. I do own another Meucci CF Pro now, just a smaller diameter, 11.85mm, sold as an 11.75mm shaft. Not big enough issue to send it back to the retailer I purchased it from. Of course I haven't rolled this one either to check for straightness.

I do own a few other companies CF shafts too and no clue how they roll either. I do know they play superb so OP don't let this insident deter you from trying another.

Protractor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FWIW I have one CF shaft, the Cuetec Cynergy 15k, bought from Seybert's via their website so I didn't get to roll it before I buying. I always roll cues and shafts when buying in person and although I remember doing this when the 15k showed up on my doorstep I checked it again just now and it is as straight as the proverbial arrow with no warp that I can see. It rolls the same on the custom butt I use it with, as I would expect.

The only other CF I have is on my bicycles, and one guitar made completely of CF, in much more complex shapes than a cue shaft. I don't have any experience making it but have read a fair amount about the process of making said bicycle parts to know that although the process is complex no matter what is being made - lots of choices with respect to materials, molds, layup, etc. it would appear that making a cue shaft nice and straight would be simpler in comparison as long as stringent QC/QA protocols are in place.

My motivation for trying a CF shaft was for the slickness that does not appear to need the periodic maintenance of a wood shaft, and the expectation that a CF shaft will not warp. I certainly expected it be straight right out of the box and was not disappointed. If it would have been warped, I would have exchanged it or returned it.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In that carbon fiber is supposed to eliminate the warp, I would send it back.

I have been buying wood cues for the last 35 years, probably 50 in all and never got a warped shaft or had a shaft warp while I owned it

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Just an update. The dealer received the returned shaft and said,

"Sorry for the inconvenience. The shaft was outside what is normal."

Appreciate everyone's info, personal experiences, and anecdotes on the subject.

Not sure where the next one is coming from yet, but I know it will be straight...

TEAM SLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have purchased 3 from major brands.... all have a very very slight warp. Not even sure if it qualifies as a warp. when rolling you can see the difference in the amount of space and light from the cloth to the shaft change ever so slightly.

First shaft I purchased was sent back and then deemed acceptable and sent back to me, both from a very reputable retailer and branded CF shaft.

Does it play well, yes, did I expect it on arrival to be perfect? Yes, but still acceptable and plays well.