What happened to Jim Mataya?

Tony

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He and his brother John made an appearance at DCC in January.Jimmy did some work Billiard Club Network during the net broadcasts.

BackPocket9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tjmckinn said:
Does anyone know what Jim Mataya is doing these days?

Travis McKinney

I started a thread asking the same question on January 21. The title of the thread was "Whatever happened to Pretty Boy Floyd". There were some interesting responses.

1 Pocket Ghost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

tjmckinn said:

Travis McKinney

Travis, You might regret asking that question after you read my reply >>> I don't know what else Jimmy Mataya is doing these days, but i know what he was doing at Derby City 2 weeks ago throughout the whole tournament - and it was unfortunate and pathetic for all concerned >>> He was being mega-loud and mega-obnoxious : He was constantly disrupting peoples gambling sessions by woofing about matchups that he had no intention to play, and saying stuff like "30 years ago you could all get the 7 ball" - And amazingly, he would constantly yell these things 100 feet across the whole tournament room while matches were being played - He was out of control and Scott Smith couldn't/didn't control him - He was doing this yelling one night during the late rounds of the one pocket, and Leil Gay was getting sharked by it (as were other players) while in a tough match against Santos - Leil was very pissed off and after seeing that Scott Smith couldn't/wouldn't make J.Mataya shut up, Leil was the only player who stood up to 'Pretty Boy The Legend', and told him to SHUT THE FU#* UP - it didn't work though, J.M. just kept woofing and yelling.....The Ghost reporting, from the darker side, of the Great, and someday Legendary, Derby City Jamboree.

kokopuffs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's almost like this game in America fails to have the discreet image that it seems to have in England.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Jim Mataya

Hi TJ,

1 Pocket had the sad news. Jimmy went to dinner with several friends of mine on the first night of the nine ball competition at the DCC. Later that night, he played another friend from here in Rochester in the nine ball event. 1 Pocket was being polite. Jim went way overboard. I must admit that I laughed. He was funny. Lots of the old routines I hadn't heard in years. I even laughed when JR Gay complained. When one of our locals did the same thing during a recent Joss Tour stop, I lost both my temper and my match, as did JR. How quickly we forget! I can also tell you that some of the pain he had years ago must still be there. The drinking won't ever make it go away.

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
fast larry said:
His meal ticket took off and married a steady paycheck at ESPN. :D

FL,

I think Jimmy's problems started way before Ewa. The loss of her made the pain more public. Of all the crass comments Jimmy made at the DCC, the one that rang the most true was "she was the best woman and I lost her". I think he really meant it!

cardiac kid said:
FL,

I think Jimmy's problems started way before Ewa. The loss of her made the pain more public. Of all the crass comments Jimmy made at the DCC, the one that rang the most true was "she was the best woman and I lost her". I think he really meant it!

If I had Ewa and she took a hike on me, I would have shot my self in the head. In her prime, that was the all time hottie in pool I ever saw. :D

JG-in-KY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I attended the Derby City Classic and I observed Mataya's act. I have been to tournaments for twenty years, (including 5 Derby's) and it was positively,without doubt the funniest thing I have ever seen in pool! I am sorry if he sharked others, but if you don't think a lot of these pros don't shark and pull moves on each other then you are misinformed. I know this is probably not the consensus but I for one think he was a breath of fresh air. Just my opinion.

Worminator

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
JG-in-KY said:
I attended the Derby City Classic and I observed Mataya's act. I have been to tournaments for twenty years, (including 5 Derby's) and it was positively,without doubt the funniest thing I have ever seen in pool! I am sorry if he sharked others, but if you don't think a lot of these pros don't shark and pull moves on each other then you are misinformed. I know this is probably not the consensus but I for one think he was a breath of fresh air. Just my opinion.

Jimmy Mataya is a great example of the reason why pool will never be accepted as a legitimate sport. Jimmy is not a "breath of fresh air", IMO he is nothing more than a maggot. He was running around making an ass of himself (along with his brother) the whole week at the DCC. Who in the corporate world would want to sponsor pool with this kind of behavior taking place at a major tournament? Pool does not need the likes of Jimmy Mataya continuing to uphold it’s shading reputation. It does need people like Johnny Archer and Ralph Souguet who are trying to change the “smoky dark poolroom” image that the sport has at the present time. These two gentlemen conduct themselves like true professional athletes. You never see them running around a tournament wolfing, cussing, and causing a screen. The DCC is a great event for people who know the game, and have been around the game for a while. It is not the kind of event that is going to elevate pool to the next level. This is just my opinion of course. I think it is time for me to start a new thread.

Adanac67

Predator=Awesome
Silver Member
kokopuffs said:
It's almost like this game in America fails to have the discreet image that it seems to have in England.
In England jerks get few chances. They get fined, then suspended (Ronnie O'Sullivan) and if they don't clean up their act they get banned. Thus there is no PR problem and snooker is light years ahead of pool when it comes to public perception and always will be. Until guys like Mataya and Strickland get brought under control, you can forget about pool EVER being an upper echelon sport. Too many people find humor from the Mataya's and Strickland's of the sport and until this attitude turns to disgust like it should be, pool is doomed to stay in the dark ages.

satman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was there also at dcc. and while it was a great event the Mataya scene was not what the event needs. Not only was leil gay sharked but several others too. One guy was playing Gabe Owen and I believe had him 2 zip until the side show started. He lost the match. Another unfortunate player was Jose Parica. How would you like someone screaming your name every 30 seconds while you're in a one pocket match with a guy who ended in 3rd place. Scott is a great director but this side show should have happened between rounds or after hours. I do believe the DCC can do some great things for pool if it is steered in the right direction.

kokopuffs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then American pocket billiards should take a cue either from English pocket billiards or American golf: act like a gentleman or be banned...permanently. And unlike tennis and pocket billiards, American golf does not tolerate such behavior at all. Thank Buddha or God that America actually has a sport where gentlemen ways do, indeed, exist.

Last edited:

Pelican

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
fast larry said:
If I had Ewa and she took a hike on me, I would have shot my self in the head. In her prime, that was the all time hottie in pool I ever saw. :D

Tell ya what Larry, if she ain't 'prime' she is damn sure USDA 'Choice" :p

Pelican said:

If a bottle washed up on the shore on the beach, you pull the plug and a geenie arises and grants you 3 wishes, you must pick one of the three.
You will win the next world championship of 9 ball.
You will run 1000 balls at 14.1 and become world famous and now traveling the world to do exhibitions.
You can have one full night with her in your bed and your every wish is her command.

Which of the three would you pick, you only get one, so choose wisely. It took me one New York Fento second to make up my mind.

Pelican said:

How long do you think you could could live with Jeanette Lee after the new wore off. That would be like a Chocolate terd. :D