Brunswick Gold Crown 1 or 2 ??

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
Im looking for info on this table,, I know its a 9x4.5 ft Brunswick Gold Crown.. But what number is it 1 or 2 ??

Also is the playing surface bluestone, brunstone or slate ??

SAM_0125-1_zps7fb75510.jpg

SAM_0124-1_zps3ce115a8.jpg

SAM_0136_zps6a9f9341.jpg

SAM_0122_zps1affeb19.jpg

SAM_0134_zpse40d0998.jpg

SAM_0135-1_zpsc823d0b2.jpg

SAM_0132_zps6ebb71e4.jpg

SAM_0131-1_zps7a1505db.jpg

SAM_0129-1_zpsb71c4533.jpg

SAM_0130-1_zps62550843.jpg

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
That looks like slate to me, not Brunstone, but I think that only means the Brunstone was replaced with slate. I think all Is & IIs came with Brunstone. Only other clue may be the Brunswick badge, that one looks metal not plastic because of pitting. I think to be sure you would need to see the bottom of rail hold downs. The Is will have a figure 8 shaped metal screwed to bottom of rail, IIs will just be a threaded insert. I not a table mechanic, but I have reseached this all for my own table.

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
That looks like slate to me, not Brunstone, but I think that only means the Brunstone was replaced with slate. I think all Is & IIs came with Brunstone. Only other clue may be the Brunswick badge, that one looks metal not plastic because of pitting. I think to be sure you would need to see the bottom of rail hold downs. The Is will have a figure 8 shaped metal screwed to bottom of rail, IIs will just be a threaded insert. I not a table mechanic, but I have reseached this all for my own table.

Thx for your input,, Im hoping it is slate, as I do not want the brunstone playing surface..

Any addional opinions ,plz chime in..Thx

tsp&b

Silver Member

I believe you will find Brunswick used "Bluestone" on only some of their GC1 tables. This is a natural stone from Pennsylvania. It is a little lighter than slate and a little more brittle It was used on some GC1's,not all. They also used some Brunstone which is a composite (copy of slate) on some early GC3's it had the same draw backs. It was a little more brittle and lighter. For help in identifying these different materials call a real authority on the subject... Ken at Classic Billiards.

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe you will find Brunswick used "Bluestone" on only some of their GC1 tables. This is a natural stone from Pennsylvania. It is a little lighter than slate and a little more brittle It was used on some GC1's,not all. They also used some Brunstone which is a composite (copy of slate) on some early GC3's it had the same draw backs. It was a little more brittle and lighter. For help in identifying these different materials call a real authority on the subject... Ken at Classic Billiards.

Thx for your input,, now Mr.Hash was contacted prior me posting this thread,, He stated that he believed it was slate as well,, and to his knowledge they didnt use brunstone til Gc3, But Ive read different hence the thread.

Last edited:

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
Tell me about the shop where the table is, looks like a racecar shop?

You smacked that dead in the mouth, Im assuming them tires gave it away.. Yes they specialize in coin-op games ,coin-op pool tables ,atm machines , poker machines and so on, but they also race go karts and funny cars in there spare time . They showed me a funny car they built, it only went about 120 top speed, but it looked pretty bad ass none the less.. They just recently begun racing on the funny car circuit, but they have at least 10 1st place trophies for high speed go kart racing.. I know it sounds childish ,but the karts, and speeds these guys are whipping ,and achieving, require a damn good driver to hold down..

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Unless the playing surface has been replaced, it's Brunstone as you can tell by the backing being 1" thick, newer Brunswick "Slate" stopped using the thicker backing boards. Further more, real "Slate" didn't come out on a Brunswick table until the later 70's, what's pictured is a GC2. Even the first edition GC3's came with the GC2 rails, but bolt up side skirts...with Brunstone, "Slate" didn't come out until the second edition GC3 with the threaded inserts in the ends of the rails to mount the pocket castings.

Glen

PS, Brunswick did however use real American slate mined from Vermont before Brunswick's involvement in WWll which is when they shut down the mining operation, never to be re-opened again.

Last edited:

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
Unless the playing surface has been replaced, it's Brunstone as you can tell by the backing being 1" thick, newer Brunswick "Slate" stopped using the thicker backing boards. Further more, real "Slate" didn't come out on a Brunswick table until the later 70's, what's pictured is a GC2. Even the first edition GC3's came with the GC2 rails, but bolt up side skirts...with Brunstone, "Slate" didn't come out until the second edition GC3 with the threaded inserts in the ends of the rails to mount the pocket castings.

Glen

PS, Brunswick did however use real American slate mined from Vermont before Brunswick's involvement in WWll which is when they shut down the mining operation, never to be re-opened again.
Ok so should I stay away from this table ,or if I was to make a offer what should the offer be ??

Thx again..

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Nothing really wrong with it as long as it's not swayback beyond being able to level it out, or cracked anywhere.

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is exactly why and where im at with this ..

The main reason I want the table is because one of my local pool halls has GC3s,so I wanted my playing equipment to be almost exact compared to theirs..
I currently have a 9ft Jefferson, 100yrs old in very good condition, recently put on new Diamond Black cushions, 100% true slate.

The only draw back is the pocket shelves arent as deep as gold crown tables, and theyre cast iron pockets..
The GC2 in question has a ball return ,, but im concerned that by accepting brunstone,im down grading in playing surfaces.. The price for the GC2 is under 1000,, should I pull the trigger or not ??

Last edited:

bowiebill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The main reason I want the table is because one of my local pool halls has GC3s,so I wanted my playing equipment to be almost exact compared to theirs..
I currently have a 9ft Jefferson, 100yrs old in very good condition, recently put on new Diamond Black cushions, 100% true slate.

The only draw back is the pocket shelves arent as deep as gold crown tables, and theyre cast iron pockets..
The GC2 in question has a ball return ,, but im concerned that by accepting brunstone,im down grading in playing surfaces.. The price for the GC2 is under 1000,, should I pull the trigger or not ??

under a 1000 is an excellent price. you should be able to resell that table for 1000 plus pretty easily.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Get it before someone else does;)

realkingcobra

Silver Member
under a 1000 is an excellent price. you should be able to resell that table for 1000 plus pretty easily.

Not really, that's a tough market place for GC's to really make any kind of money, and invested money is only returned when being sold, put $1,500 into the table to make it play at it's best...then add them together...tough market;)

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gold crown.

My opinion I would offer 800. Cash for the table. If you really want it set your own number. But to make it play like I would want it to anything over that would make it hard to break even if I ever sold it. It's a nice looking table but your looking at a move and recover.

If you want it to play better than any table at your local hall then you would want the rails to be redone. By one of the reputable mechanics here on the Forum.

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not really, that's a tough market place for GC's to really make any kind of money, and invested money is only returned when being sold, put $1,500 into the table to make it play at it's best...then add them together...tough market;)

The seller has 2 Gc-2s ,and said if I just get them out of there, he'll let them both go for a even $1200.. Though if @ $600 each ,,theres not much meat left on the bone, profit wise to flip one ,Im considering only buying 1 ..

I'll probably just take the best parts from each table and get the best bang for under $800 delivered ,Ill still have to disassemble, load,and reassemble, seems to be a fair deal,, the brunstone still really bugs me, I kinda feel im downsizing..

RKC Ive read you mention in other threads similar that some GC2 did infact have slate on later models, is there any chance at all that the table Ive posted could very well be slate ?
Or are you 100% sure from the pics provided that this is in fact the infamous Brunstone ??
:confused:

This is the last of the questions Ill ask of you for this table,, as today is the day my decision must be in... Thx for all your help..

To all who have contributed to this thread ,THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE INPUT,, Ill let you all know if I wind up going through with this,, for me it boils down to Slate or brunstone...

bowiebill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

here in maryland, gc's sell quickly for 1500 to 2000. if he can get a gc for under 1k, have scruffy set it up for 400-500, he is way ahead of the game.

remember, he wants it to play like a gc. not a diamond. ;)