Best ways to focus without pills

Gotboost95

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had some back issues lately. 4 months ago I ended up with a pinched sciatic nerve and couldn't hardly walk. Been on vicodin and percaset pills since March. while taking the pills I noticed that I was able to focus very well on my pool matches.

About a month ago I had surgery that repaired my issue. All better now and no more pills. But now I notice I'm not zoning in on the balls and patterns as much as I could when I had the pain pills. Even though I don't have any pain to think about now.

Any ideas on ways to zone in, get that tunnel vision, and focus completely?

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
pills

I've had some back issues lately. 4 months ago I ended up with a pinched sciatic nerve and couldn't hardly walk. Been on vicodin and percaset pills since March. while taking the pills I noticed that I was able to focus very well on my pool matches.

About a month ago I had surgery that repaired my issue. All better now and no more pills. But now I notice I'm not zoning in on the balls and patterns as much as I could when I had the pain pills. Even though I don't have any pain to think about now.

If you were using pain pills for a while it may take your brain a little time to get used to playing without them.

Not unlike players who say they just can't play without a few drinks. If you're used to playing with alcohol affecting your brain, it will take time to re-train your brain to play straight.

Many years ago, I tried playing while using alcohol, pot, cocaine and a few other substances. And I occasionally had a little success. But by my late twenties it had become clear that I played my best when avoiding all mind-altering stuff.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I agree with Donny. Give it some time. After all, you know you have the ability to do what you need to do. :)

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You're not alone. Lots of the players everyone idolized over the years took drugs to enhance their performance. Your reason for taking them was different, but now you understand why they made the choice to take them in a manner that is considered cheating.

If you tend towards being nervous in competition, then it makes sense that the drugs you took had a calming effect. Find ways to get calm and you will be able to focus. With back issues, it's probably hard to exercise, but exercise really does help relieve stress and calm your nerves, if you can do it.

Another way to relieve stress is through meditation.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Block other stuff out and focus on the balls on the table. Irving Crane was asked if he was intimidated playing great player and he said his entire focus was on the balls.

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Focus has alot to do with mental awareness, training techniques, and personal management. Sports psychology books might be a good start. On the physical side, some coffee can help a bit too. And it goes without saying, but proper sleep and nutrition are as important as anything.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I have been prescribed oxycodone regularly for at least the last 10 years for chronic back pain due to herniated discs at L5-S1 and C4-C5. To me it does not seem to affect my ability at the table whether I am using them at the time or have gone a week or more without using them. I do not drink alcohol at all when playing pool, just some brand of cola. Maybe the caffeine in the soda makes it similar to drinking coffee.

pug1986

Registered
I've seen some good suggestions so far. To add to the comment about meditation, I think yoga is a great idea as well and in some ways better because it promotes body awareness and concentration. So its achieving several aims at once. I know for one, Immonen does it and said it helped him a lot that year he was the us open

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

Pot might substitute, but it's a double edged sword (can make you more easily distracted too) and anyway you don't want to replace one crutch with another.

There are some pretty good books about it:

Pleasures of Small Motions: Mastering the Mental Game of Pocket Billiards - Jun 1, 2002 by Bob Fancher

Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience - Jul 1, 2008 by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

pj
chgo

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Pot might substitute, but it's a double edged sword (can make you more easily distracted too) and anyway you don't want to replace one crutch with another.
pj
chgo

Ain't it the truth. One toke over the line and all you'll care about is if the concession stand is open. :smile:

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played on a double shimmed table yesterday, if that doesn't make you focus more, nothing will! :thumbup:

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played on a double shimmed table yesterday, if that doesn't make you focus more, nothing will! :thumbup:

I always play on double shimmed Gold Crowns. Yes, makes you focus on center pocket because on a power shot you can't cheat them.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member

Run from the damned pills......
They ruin games and lives
<~~~~~~~~~ speaking from experience. About 10 yrs worth

JasBy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would suggest trying mindfullness meditation. It works wonders and is actually quite simple to do. You can look up the exact methods yourself, but it teaches the mind to focus on a singular task and you become more easily aware when your mind is wandering and you are losing focus.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Ain't it the truth. One toke over the line and all you'll care about is if the concession stand is open. :smile:

Not only the concession stand but how do they even see the table sometimes???
A couple of guys I know that like to partake step over the line sometimes and by looking at their eyes you would think they are asleep standing at the table. :confused: