Best win percentage in your apa league

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was looking through my league stats on some of the best players in our area.Seem to have lifetime win percentages in the high 70s.I was wondering if you had any monsters in your leagues with way higher lifetime win percentages.Not talking about a 7 that came in one session and won every match,more a guy with several hundred matches or more really dominating everybody.

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Um, <shrug> <looks at ground>...I know a guy that has a win % in the 80's...hasn't lost a local 9 ball match in a couple years...played APA for 22 years, started as a 3 and worked up to a 7 over like 6 years or so. Started 9 ball as a 7 and went up to a 9 in about 2 sessions. If I...oops I mean "he"...could only count matches as a 7 the win % would be higher.

Not a monster, just an ok player in a community of not so many ok players.

KMRUNOUT

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Um, <shrug> <looks at ground>...I know a guy that has a win % in the 80's...hasn't lost a local 9 ball match in a couple years...played APA for 22 years, started as a 3 and worked up to a 7 over like 6 years or so. Started 9 ball as a 7 and went up to a 9 in about 2 sessions. If I...oops I mean "he"...could only count matches as a 7 the win % would be higher.

Not a monster, just an ok player in a community of not so many ok players.

KMRUNOUT

Just an FYI, an over-time win percentage of
67% means you are 100 points above the average of your opponents
80% means you are 200 points above the average of your opponents
89% means you are 300 points above the average of your opponents

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How are you able to look up other players stats? The only players stats I can look up are ones that have played on the same team with me and I have never played on the same team with our stronger players. Usually I am the best player on my teams and i fluctuate between a 5 and 6.

The couple of higher level players I have played with7/7 or 7/8 are around 55-60% lifetime and they are not our stronger players in our area.

My stats are middle of the road...hovering around 50% . 51.86 with 755 matches in 8 ball. 52.62 with 591 matches in 9 ball. I think its worth noting though that most of my matches are vs the best players on the opposing team. I very seldom throw myself blind because I hate getting dumped on.

I learned that lesson from a captain who is an 8. After I beat him several times he started dumping his wife or son on me and would throw himself against whoever I threw blind in the first or second round.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have someone on my team who lifetime is about 90% for both 9 ball and 8 ball.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Well us820, my stats for eight years of play in our local APA league are ridiculous. Played three sessions per year but only eight or so matches per session. Including my three trips to Regionals and one to Nationals in singles, APA claims I lost 16 matches. After checking each years stats, I only find twelve losses. No one can explain the difference. As I played a total of 230 matches, my winning percentage was 93%! Didn't lose a match for the last three years. Played all the other "7's" in my league. Some more than once.

So what does a winning percentage like that prove? In my view, NOTHING. Being a "monster" gained me NOTHING. Players refused to play when I showed up for singles qualifiers. Not going to pay $160 or so to run my own board. The verdict? I'm retired from APA.

Lyn

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
I have someone on my team who lifetime is about 90% for both 9 ball and 8 ball.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

How the hell are you supposed to sandbag with stats like that?! I thought everyone's life-long dream in the APA is to sandbag, get to Vegas, lose first round, repeat.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well us820, my stats for eight years of play in our local APA league are ridiculous. Played three sessions per year but only eight or so matches per session. Including my three trips to Regionals and one to Nationals in singles, APA claims I lost 16 matches. After checking each years stats, I only find twelve losses. No one can explain the difference. As I played a total of 230 matches, my winning percentage was 93%! Didn't lose a match for the last three years. Played all the other "7's" in my league. Some more than once.

So what does a winning percentage like that prove? In my view, NOTHING. Being a "monster" gained me NOTHING. Players refused to play when I showed up for singles qualifiers. Not going to pay $160 or so to run my own board. The verdict? I'm retired from APA.

Lyn

Your post is exactly why I dont want to play in a singles board unless there are enough players to break it into brackets....but for the opposite reason you state. I dont want to go spend all day playing a singles board and finally make it to the finals only to be shut out by a player of your caliber.

Dont get me wrong. I enjoy playing higher level players in the hopes of learning from them. However if I come in on a weekend and spend 20.00-25.00 entering a board tournament I want to at least play opponents of my caliber and let whoever is playing best that day move on. 2 sides to every coin Lynn. :)

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member

So whats wrong with this? 79% life win and a 525 Fargo. Only 2 sessions of BCA possibly?

RFranklin

Ready, fire...aim
Silver Member

So whats wrong with this? 79% life win in APA and a 525 Fargo. Only 2 sessions of BCA possibly? Over 250 matches in APA. I guess they don't report.

Protocol

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spot on. My winning percentage is 93 in 8 ball and 89 in 9 ball. Qualifying becomes difficult. People complain you shouldn't be allowed in league. Play league for a night out with my wife and play tournaments for competitive challenge. I also enjoy teaching other players that want to learn.

Lyn

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
I also enjoy teaching other players that want to learn.

The key word here is WANT. Gave up trying to teach. Gave up trying to coach. When players who have fifteen or so years of APA play and are still a "4" and do not know how to draw the cue ball, it is a waste of my time trying to help!

Sad part of all this is my local BCAPL affiliated league basically told me not to bother playing. It's a ten point format. They made me an eleven and one half. Any night I won all four games I played, my team still LOST six points! If I lost a game, it was nearly impossible for my team to win. Then they barred me from winning an individual award for high average or other stats. Of course they told me I still had to pay the regular dues amount. Some of my fellow local players still wonder why I travel to Vegas to qualify for Nationals! Quite honestly, it pissed me off when I finished second in the Platinum Seniors and they listed me as New York instead of Nevada. Seems trivial but still........

Lyn

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Your post is exactly why I dont want to play in a singles board unless there are enough players to break it into brackets....but for the opposite reason you state. I dont want to go spend all day playing a singles board and finally make it to the finals only to be shut out by a player of your caliber.

Dont get me wrong. I enjoy playing higher level players in the hopes of learning from them. However if I come in on a weekend and spend 20.00-25.00 entering a board tournament I want to at least play opponents of my caliber and let whoever is playing best that day move on. 2 sides to every coin Lynn. :)

Understand your frustration as well. Just seems APA doesn't care about having high ability players as part of their format. Truly enjoyed the company of my team mates. That and that alone is why I continued playing for a total of eight years. Would guess my earnings for the entire time was less than $300. The money I earned winning the Upstate New York singles qualifier was described as travel assistance not prize money. The $400 did not even cover the air fare from Rochester to Vegas. Guess all good things must come to an end :eek: :rolleyes: :banghead: :eek:uttahere: .

Lyn

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Understand your frustration as well. Just seems APA doesn't care about having high ability players as part of their format. Truly enjoyed the company of my team mates. That and that alone is why I continued playing for a total of eight years. Would guess my earnings for the entire time was less than $300. The money I earned winning the Upstate New York singles qualifier was described as travel assistance not prize money. The $400 did not even cover the air fare from Rochester to Vegas. Guess all good things must come to an end :eek: :rolleyes: :banghead: :eek:uttahere: .

Lyn

Why dont you play masters ? I do and really enjoy playing head to head with some pretty strong players in our area. Of course I get whipped up on from time to time but i try to learn from my opponents. And I occasionally win a rack here and there and even a match once in a while. Also its a lot more gratifying winning a heads up match than a handicap match against those guys.

With all the complaints about apa's 23 limit...sandbagging ....llaying real low level players etc etc I dont understand why masters is not more popular than it is.

Sometimes I have wondered if people dont want to play it because they cant use the sandbagger excuse when they lose lol. I have also wondered a time or 2 if people are afraid to play better players without a handicap.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Mike -- The APA matches are handicapped. So if you're a 7 playing mostly <7s and winning 80% then you would be substantially more than 200 points above the average FargoRate of your opponents. Or maybe I'm misreading your point?

To answer the original question, I'm 72% lifetime within the DC area APA as a 7. Some of the top local players, basically shortstops, are in the 90% range. I usually look forward to playing them.