Digicue Blue App Suggestions

Masseyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After talking with Nate (the designer) about the new Digicue Blue, he suggested I start a new thread about some of the phone (or tablet) app suggestions I have. That way, anyone else who has suggestions, can add them here in one place.

1. in the shot history while viewing a previous shot, add a button to view next shot instead of having to go back and select the next shot.

2. Add an export feature in the phone app, I wanted to export a league night either in CSV or HTML to save for later. When you have a large shot history, it takes quite a while to pull up and scroll through the shot history. For that reason, I will regularly clear my shot data.

3. Ability to collapse a day in the shot history, this will make it easier to find a particular day to view previous shots.

4. Ability to delete multiple shots at once. I know you can delete individual shots one at a time. But when you have to delete many shots, (as if you had a teammate try out the Digicue), it's time consuming and tedious.

After the Bluetooth dongle I ordered arrives I'll be able to test out the PC version of the Digicue app which Nate has uploaded on GitHub (Google search for "Digicue GitHub")

If you use or have used the Digicue Blue app and have a suggestion, please add it on. Or +1 one of the suggestions I have made.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The descriptions of Straightness and Tip Steer need to be clarified. From the descriptions it would seem the Straightness score would be bad any time the Tip Steer score is bad. But that’s not the case. Maybe Straitness only measures up/down motion of the Tip?

If OB has any thoughts about how to correct the issues DigiCue reports, they should create videos or articles on this and ideally put them in the app. My issue is 50% of the time I get Bad Tip Steer scores but I’m not finding a way to improve it.

Masseyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Bluetooth dongle came in and I have tested the PC version of the Digicue program.
The data window is larger so it is easier to read at a distance on a laptop screen.
You can't cycle through your shots like you can in the mobile app, but the PC version creates a "Data.csv" file you can open in Excel and see your shots and the file has 2 more data points to look at called "ImpactX" and "ImpactY".

I think I'm understanding the "Straightness" metric a little better.
My opinion is; Straightness measures the difference from a given point in the X and Y axis from the top of your backswing to the impact point on the cue.Since your bridge hand can act as a pivot point, both in the X and Y axis. you can be "straight" in the X axis (tip steer) but not in the Y axis (up and down movement of a pendulum stroke) and score low. I also know that during a pendulum stroke there is a moment where there is no up and down motion and the cue travels on a horizontal path in the Y axis, someone correct me if I'm wrong, this is the point where your forearm is 90 degrees to the floor. If that is the case, then your tip needs to contact the cue ball at that point to prevent any unwanted draw or follow and hit the cue ball right where you intend.
I could be wrong and will have to do some testing to confirm this.

Attached is a screengrab of the PC version from a stop shot.

DCBlue PC.JPG

Masseyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PC Version suggestions;

1. Ability to cycle through your shots
2. Ability to load previous data from the CSV file after you have closed and reopened the program

I like the X and Y plot graph on the side.
Question to Nate; At what point does it grab the reference position, and at what point does it grab the final position to give the display on the graph?

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Question to Nate; At what point does it grab the reference position, and at what point does it grab the final position to give the display on the graph?

The pre-impact interval of analysis is roughly 1/20th of a second. An average firm stroke speed is about 15mph, which is 264 inches/second. 1/20th is about 1 foot in length of forward stroke. So your assessment is correct, in that the DigiCue BLUE monitors variation in both the X and Y direction for your entire forward stroke, and only the X direction for steering (throws away the Y).

However, keep in mind that the cue trajectory is nearly linear for properly executed pendulum strokes, and if you hit the CB with the linear region you should still get a high score on straightness. Read this proof from Dr. Dave:

http://billiards.colostate.edu/technical_proofs/new/TP_B-18.pdf

and I demonstrate it here (with an exaggerated stay-down) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWTcGn2zQ3I

karppa68

Registered
Great tool for practise! Really enjoying it.

Really missing the export function in the app though so please add it soon!
Anyway of getting the PC version to work with other bluetooth connections than bled112?

In addition would be great to be able to create local profiles/sessions easily without having to create an online account separately.

Last edited:

karppa68

Registered
Chromecast support would be nice too. I'm using screen mirroring atm. but keeping screen on eats batter power fast and when the screen turns off mirroring stops.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really missing the export function in the app though so please add it soon!

This should be in the next major release.

Anyway of getting the PC version to work with other bluetooth connections than bled112?

No. I needed to pick one piece of hardware and stick with it.
Would be very nice to simply be able to connect to anything that has Bluetooth internally (like any laptop), but tackling the problem of writing and testing drivers for everything out there is too big of a job for me to handle right now. I decided to make the tradeoff and require customers to spend an extra $15 for hardware I know will work.

The app is a different story, and is fully supported.

In addition would be great to be able to create local profiles/sessions easily without having to create an online account separately.

This is also in the road map for the next release.

Native chromecast...
This is a new idea I haven't heard. I like it. I too use mirroring but I never noticed the battery drain of this app because I keep it plugged in. I expect that transmitting wireless video data consumes a bit of power.

Masseyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great explanation Nate. Thank you.

I was able to purchase my Bled112 for around $7 from Symmetry electronics and they shipped it fast.

When I find where I stored my camera I plan to shoot some video of me shooting a few shots and use the "Data.csv" file with a free video overlay software called "Dashware" to post the data metrics on the video.

It would be nice to do it real time as in a live stream, but at the moment I don't see a feasible way to do it.

karppa68

Registered
Thanks for info!

Another small suggestion.
Add option for 24 hour clock or default to what ever the user uses on his device.

Masseyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PC Version suggestions;

1. Ability to cycle through your shots
2. Ability to load previous data from the CSV file after you have closed and reopened the program

3. A "time since last detected shot" like the mobile version. I have noticed sometimes the shot is not registered, either because of communication problems or, as in the case of a very low hit on the cue ball, the tip also contacts the table and the Digicue thinks there is an error because it detected a second hit (just a theory). Or, display error message if it can't determine a valid hit, that way you can tell if there was a communication problem, (as in the Digicue was too far away from the receiving device, or interference)

FYI - I know it takes about 3-8 seconds for the Digicue to send the data, sometimes I'm still looking at my shot outcome and can't tell if the reading was from the previous shot or the shot I just made. With the "Time since last detected shot" it's much easier to tell.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3. A "time since last detected shot" like the mobile version. I have noticed sometimes the shot is not registered, either because of communication problems or, as in the case of a very low hit on the cue ball, the tip also contacts the table and the Digicue thinks there is an error because it detected a second hit (just a theory). Or, display error message if it can't determine a valid hit, that way you can tell if there was a communication problem, (as in the Digicue was too far away from the receiving device, or interference)

FYI - I know it takes about 3-8 seconds for the Digicue to send the data, sometimes I'm still looking at my shot outcome and can't tell if the reading was from the previous shot or the shot I just made. With the "Time since last detected shot" it's much easier to tell.

Time since last shot isn't in the PC version? I thought I added that in. Silly me for not doing so.

I also experimented with a circular "light" in the GUI that changes color on every shot, so that you could see it from far away. If it was a different color than the last time you looked, you could easily tell if the shot was registered. I didn't get enough feedback about this idea to keep it. Could be confusing if someone doesn't know what it is.

RoadHustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish

Android Wish list...
  • Custom date range when viewing history and stats would be cool.
  • It would be useful to be able to allow folks to try it and then be able to email them thier results but not record them to your stats.
  • I would love to be able to compete with friends for best stats or most practice. Like a fitbit challenge
  • When viewing a stat I wish the title for that stat was a drop down menu so I could select another stat without backing out to the stat menu.

I will totally order that bluetooth dongle to try the pc version super excited.

Masseyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also experimented with a circular "light" in the GUI that changes color on every shot, so that you could see it from far away. If it was a different color than the last time you looked, you could easily tell if the shot was registered. I didn't get enough feedback about this idea to keep it. Could be confusing if someone doesn't know what it is.

Good idea! Another take on that idea is, have it go green for 10 seconds after it detects a shot, after 10 seconds it turns grey until it detects another shot. If it had a label of "Shot detect" it might minimize the confusion.

While practicing or shooting a game, I rarely (very rarely) shoot another ball within 10 seconds.

P.S. - Every league night I show some league players the DigiCue. They love it.
Some (who think they are good shooters) and their first hit was not in the green, shoot multiple times trying to get a perfect 10 in Straight and Steer, when they can't, (and I have yet to have someone do it) they say, I need to get me one of these. :grin:

karppa68

Registered
The Digicue Blue sometimes suddenly loses connection to the app and I may shoot several shots before I realize shots aren't registered. In order to reconnect I need to shut down the app from android and restart the app. Otherwise it won't reconnect.

- Reset button (or auto reset) to restart and reconnect quickly in these situations when connection is lost would simplify reconnection.

- Some kind of indicator that communication still works between the digicue blue and app would be helpful. For example small blinking "led" when communication is live.

To improve instant feedback:
- Voice info. For example when fault is caused by tip steer to left, a simple voice informing: "tip steer left..." or even when for example connection is lost "connection lost"...

This way you wouldn't even need to check any screen every time it buzzes. Just put the phone away and still continue to get instant verbal feedback... (for example with earplugs when you don't need added attention...) :wink:

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good idea! Another take on that idea is, have it go green for 10 seconds after it detects a shot, after 10 seconds it turns grey until it detects another shot. If it had a label of "Shot detect" it might minimize the confusion.

While practicing or shooting a game, I rarely (very rarely) shoot another ball within 10 seconds.

P.S. - Every league night I show some league players the DigiCue. They love it.
Some (who think they are good shooters) and their first hit was not in the green, shoot multiple times trying to get a perfect 10 in Straight and Steer, when they can't, (and I have yet to have someone do it) they say, I need to get me one of these. :grin:

I have gotten 10s in everything once. 10s in steer and straightness a couple times on slow strokes. 10 in steer and 9.6-9.8 in straightness a dozen times using a firm stroke.

I love this and everyone wants one when they try it. I found out what causes my main flaw and now working on fixing my stance and right arm to get it over the shooting line. Very happy with small progressions.

My suggestion has been mentioned above as far as dealing with connection lost issue.

Date range on app would be neat as well.

Masseyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have gotten 10s in everything once. 10s in steer and straightness a couple times on slow strokes. 10 in steer and 9.6-9.8 in straightness a dozen times using a firm stroke.

I love this and everyone wants one when they try it. I found out what causes my main flaw and now working on fixing my stance and right arm to get it over the shooting line. Very happy with small progressions.

My suggestion has been mentioned above as far as dealing with connection lost issue.

Date range on app would be neat as well.

Triple 10's Awesome! :dance:
I've only got 10-10 in Straight and steer a few times. My follow is still a bit punchy. Averaging a 6
I can get 10 (none) quite a bit on steer but my straightness can vary from 6-9 quite a bit.

My suggestion has been mentioned above

I didn't see it above, or are you agreeing with a previous suggestion?

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Triple 10's Awesome! :dance:
I've only got 10-10 in Straight and steer a few times. My follow is still a bit punchy. Averaging a 6
I can get 10 (none) quite a bit on steer but my straightness can vary from 6-9 quite a bit.

I didn't see it above, or are you agreeing with a previous suggestion?

My follow through is typically 6 on medium to hard speed strokes. It increases some on slower strokes. It sounds like our strokes are pretty similar overall according to the digicue.

I suck at quoting. I was referring to something to see easily if a shot was picked up or not. I am finding my stroke becoming more consistent so multiple ones will be almost exactly the same. I have to look at the time since last shot to know if it was actually a new shot or if it did not register. It seems to not register sometimes on very soft shots.

The digicue is addictive. I get sad when I feel like I put a good stroke on the ball and then it did not register. Like I need that confirmation that it was a good stroke.

The PC tool is neat with the graphic of the cue ball.