Time of day and performance vs chronotype

pw98

Registered
I am a night owl and have wondered for a while why I play so much better after being awake 8-10 hours vs after just waking up (most of the time at least). We are talking a big difference here like C level or worse at wake up time vs B+/A- level after being awake 8-10 hours. This is so consistent that I can pretty much predict to the hour when I will start playing well.

I found an article today about a study of athletic performance and circadian rhythm ( https://www.insidescience.org/news/time-day-could-impact-athletes-performance-peak ). This is pretty much a summary of what the study and what it found:

In the new research, Brandstaetter and a colleague, Elise Facer-Childs, asked a collection of accomplished field hockey and squash players with different chronotypes to complete general fitness tests at six different times of the day. They found that each chronotype had a different pattern of performance, with the best and worst performances coming at different times. Most strikingly, night owls performed very poorly in the early morning, on average about 26 percent worse than their peak level.

I think my pool performance is affected more than 26 percent. More like 30-40% on the average day. Most of the time in the morning I feel like I have no hand eye coordination at all. I also feel like I have no speed control at all. There are days that are exceptions but they are rare.

Its probably also worth noting that I used to play high school football and my best games were the ones after school and the ones in the morning I almost never played well. Im guessing this could very well be why.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious who plays pool right after waking up - just kidding! The bigger issue for me, regardless of what time of day I start playing, is how long in to my playing session does it take me to really start feeling comfortable and start getting in stroke? The older I get, the longer it seems to take me. Currently I’d say it’s an hour minimum or sometimes even two hours in to my session before I start feeling confidence in my game.

That’s not really good when you’re playing a tournament, as very rarely do you get an open table to be able to practice for a significant amount of time before your matches start. You just have to hope you can survive through enough early matches to hopefully find your game.

Last edited:

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Just curious who plays pool right after waking up?

I have. Had to do it at the Expo a few times. Been doing during this god forsaken pandemic. Local poolhall runs a daily special, sometimes I take the day off and get there when they open.

It's not unheard of.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play better pool after a long hard day of engineering--something about allowing the mind to relax when you aren't sleepy tired, but don't want to have the mind "at work" any longer. The concentration it takes to shoot good pool erases the residual subconscious thinking the back end of the brain wants to work on.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cool post
in the time I've been hot on pool
one of my goals has been to find consistency on the table
regardless of external variables
historically, *when* I play doesn't seem to be as much of a factor
as whether or not I'm tired, and/or hungry
once I established that, I went out of my way to play tired and/or hungry
now (or when I was actually playing), I derive sustenance from consuming phenolic
and seem to suck equally, regardless of those variables, when I play, etc. ^_^

Kdogster

Registered
I am the rare bird that plays best at the crack of dawn. I am currently waking up at 4:15 am, then I’m on the home table by 5 am during the pandemic.I normally have to stretch the hammies a little, so I can get into my stance on the first couple of shots. But, my game is pretty sharp after I get 5 minutes into it. I’ve always been a morning person though.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doesn’t make any difference to me.

Sometimes I’ll play for a half hour in my PJs after waking up. Sometimes, the reverse, just before I go to bed.

Unlike others, I don’t play that long...maybe 30 minutes a day at home...once or twice, . Two hours at the pool hall or Legion. Not interested in playing any longer. However, might play another 15 minutes when I get home.

I’m usually as good or bad as ever after hitting 2 or 3 balls. If not my own table more about reading the table condition than getting my cuing in gear..

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
as whether or not I'm tired, and/or hungry

Interesting to hear another's comment.
Not that i'm much good anyway, but my performance usually falls apart if i eat during or shortly before a match.
Stay hungry, and i shoot a lot better.

I'm a night person. 30 years ago would not have thought it possible to shoot pool before noon let alone any earlier. :) Seems to be changing with age. Couple years ago a guy agreed to coach me on Sat. mornings. I didn't think it would work. 45 min drive even before arriving when i would barely be awake at home. (Yeah, ok, mid-morning) But i found there was something about it & i was more unconsciously sharper. & less stressed, too. Hard to tell, though. Might have just been the novelty.

It will be nice when C-19 is over & possible to shoot somewhere whatever time.

smt

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you can tell the difference between dusk and dawn by your pool game, you aren't a Player!