Tips on a Revo

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have any of you heard about certain hardness of tips playing better on Revo shafts? I am not talking about your preference of tips. Someone told me that medium hardness tips react better on a revo.
Please don't turn this into a long debate about how you know someone who swears by a super deluxe model tip.
I just want to know if anyone has heard about this.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have any of you heard about certain hardness of tips playing better on Revo shafts? I am not talking about your preference of tips. Someone told me that medium hardness tips react better on a revo.
Please don't turn this into a long debate about how you know someone who swears by a super deluxe model tip.
I just want to know if anyone has heard about this.
Damn it Jim, i was all set to say how much i love a good super deluxe tip. Oh well. ;) Yes, the stock tip is way too soft imo.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
All soft tips, including the soft Victory tip standard on the Revo, become medium after several hours of play. If someone has a preference for a certain tip, that’s fine, but the Victory tips are one of the highest quality tips made. Also, I think Predator, after hundreds of hours of testing, would be better qualified in a choice of tip for their Revo than many who have the tip changed before giving the Victory enough playing time to make a decision.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All soft tips, including the soft Victory tip standard on the Revo, become medium after several hours of play. If someone has a preference for a certain tip, that’s fine, but the Victory tips are one of the highest quality tips made. Also, I think Predator, after hundreds of hours of testing, would be better qualified in a choice of tip for their Revo than many who have the tip changed before giving the Victory enough playing time to make a decision.

I actually had two Victory soft tips delaminate and fall apart. So much for the highest quality.

gregnice37

Bar Banger, Cue Collector
Silver Member
Joel, I haven't heard that anywhere. Predator uses medium on all their other shafts so I'm sure they would use the medium on the Revo if they didn't think the soft was better for it.

As far as some people not liking the victory soft, I've had over 15 Revos as I've switched cues 100x's and haven't had one single issue with them. I've even started swapping my any of my other cf shaft stock tips to them.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joel, I haven't heard that anywhere. Predator uses medium on all their other shafts so I'm sure they would use the medium on the Revo if they didn't think the soft was better for it.

As far as some people not liking the victory soft, I've had over 15 Revos as I've switched cues 100x's and haven't had one single issue with them. I've even started swapping my any of my other cf shaft stock tips to them.
FIFTEEN Revo's?? Lotta coin right there.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Back when i was playing alot more i had two Revos with the soft tips. They all turn to a medium within a short time period. I have lately been using two Cynergys and hated the tips that came on those. I switched them out to the Pred soft tips and really like them. No issues at all.

gregnice37

Silver Member
What is your take on GoCustoms shafts?

Out of the 9 I've tested so far, I have the go customs 12.4mm at 5th place for me. Way above the Jacoby and Cuetec. I still haven't hit a ball with 2 other new ones yet, so it could go lower.

gregnice37

Silver Member
Cool. Thanks.........

Fwiw. The whole carbon cue from Goran might make an improvement on the shaft as well. Heard from many that the Becue shafts play better with the full carbon cue than with a wood butt.

Problem I may run into is I did 95% of my testing of shafts on the same radial pin butt. So I have my list from just using that butt and pin. During all this covid stuff I've been really bored and sold some cues, including what was my main player. So now I have 7 new cues to try and like 16 new shafts and the majority of them are all different pins and most of the CF shafts are now matched up with different pins and cues made by the same makers.

Hopefully I'll be getting out to shoot again soon as I haven't hit a ball in 13 months now with the covid and my back issues.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I actually had two Victory soft tips delaminate and fall apart. So much for the highest quality.

Not once, but twice!? Sorry. Sounds like fiction to me as you are the only person I ever heard make a claim of Victory's delaminating. I install maybe 80 to 100 tips annually, all brands. I have used Victory tips quite a bit and no one has ever had an issue with these.

Not once, ... but twice?????
Go buy a lottery ticket.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not once, but twice!? Sorry. Sounds like fiction to me as you are the only person I ever heard make a claim of Victory's delaminating. I install maybe 80 to 100 tips annually, all brands. I have used Victory tips quite a bit and no one has ever had an issue with these.

Not once, ... but twice?????
Go buy a lottery ticket.

I was thinking the same thing...... user error maybe?

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
I tried the soft tip for about 2 months. Too "sticky" for me. Kept throwing (when using right/left english) my shots off. Just too difficult to dial in just the right amount of throw needed.
So I put a Triangle (hard) tip on and am shooting finally lights out again. (On a Joss/Revo 12.9 btw.)
Think of a soft tip compared to a harder tip as being similar to using a computer mouse. A sensitive mouse setting (the sticky, soft tip) requires a more precise hand movement (the pool stroke) to accurately click (strike consistently) on the desired location. Many under 650 or so fargo folks just don't have a smooth or precise enough stroke to consistently "throw" object balls into the pockets, or, to make the perfectly straight shots.
I find that a harder tip is much more forgiving of my minor stroking flaws because it seems to lower/normalize the amount of accidental throw (spin) imparted on the cue ball. It also seems to make ALL my english shots more consistent.
Could be smoke and mirrors, but harder tip is better for me.
And, package that with a forgiving low-deflection shaft like the Revo, and voila, easy-peasy mode!

Just my observations anyways, results may vary:D