Keeping / Logging Stats this year for my 14.1 practice sessions

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Great Project, i do this as well but not to this detail.

May i suggest if you have an iPad is to use Straight Pool Deluxe, it will give you all of these results and also has a Ghost Mode, which i haven't played around with much.

Eager to see your results, and Shoot Well as always.

Have Fun, and Play The Game
-Steve

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the reasoning is wrong here, Chris. There are errors in judgement and errors in execution and they require two very different approaches to ridding yourself of them. If you can be your own toughest critic and are willing to decide where most of the blame lies when a run ends, you'll learn far more than otherwise.

For example, when you get stuck to the rack on a primary or secondary break shot, it's often because you hit the wrong part of the cluster of balls you ran into, which often displays a lack of knowledge concerning where you should have tried to hit it.

I suspect as many runs end because of bad planning/judgement as bad shot execution among capable players. Not that many players, however, believe they are ever guilty of an error in judgement. Those who do learn the most from their mistakes.

Different types of errors require different types of remedies, so to treat all errors as the same is very shortsighted.

I have to agree here, this jumped out at me right away. IMO getting "stuck" after primary or secondary break shots in 14.1 has - of course a lot to do with hitting the wrong ball in the stack, but it many times has to do with NOT applying either enough follow or draw to the cue ball to plow through or draw away from the disturbed stack. I would use Mizerak as an example of someone who had a great stroke when going into full or partial stacks with follow or draw- he seldom got "stuck". Also, also my opinion, but you are torturing yourself playing 14.1 with less than 4 1/2 " pockets, You would need a lot of confidence in shotmaking to use the speeds needed to open up stacks with that size pocket and little room for pocket cheating to gain position, which i use a lot in 14.1 to keep on center cue ball.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
Another good idea is to record the reason your runs ended. There is always more than one reason, but what was the chief reason your run ended:

For example, you might use this system to record your reason.

1) Missed something easy
2) Position play error due
3) Missed breakshot at beginning of rack
4) Made breakshot at beginning of rack but got stuck
5) Missed midrack breakshot
6) Made midrack breakshot but got stuck
7) Speed control error
8) Pattern play error
9) Something else

You'll get a greater sense of where you are going wrong this way, which will help you determine what you most need to work on.

Not OP, but thanks Stu. I started playing straight pool for the first time after watching Ruslan win the American 14.1. I’m really enjoying it, but I live in Korea, and no one plays 14.1 here. I’ve been thinking about analyzing why I break down but hadn’t gone as far as specifics. This list seems pretty comprehensive, and I think more useful than keeping track of averages etc.

By the way, I underestimated the difficulty of 14.1. I started playing at the end of October and set a goal of a 100 run by the end of the year. The highest I managed was two runs of 58, so making a century is the goal for the first half 2020 (though I’m really hoping to make a 100 in January). Using your list will definitely help me improve my weaknesses.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Not OP, but thanks Stu. I started playing straight pool for the first time after watching Ruslan win the American 14.1. I’m really enjoying it, but I live in Korea, and no one plays 14.1 here. I’ve been thinking about analyzing why I break down but hadn’t gone as far as specifics. This list seems pretty comprehensive, and I think more useful than keeping track of averages etc.

By the way, I underestimated the difficulty of 14.1. I started playing at the end of October and set a goal of a 100 run by the end of the year. The highest I managed was two runs of 58, so making a century is the goal for the first half 2020 (though I’m really hoping to make a 100 in January). Using your list will definitely help me improve my weaknesses.

Like Chris, the original poster, it seems you have a winning attitude. The more attention you pay to your own experiences at the table, the more you'll become aware of your strengths and weaknesses and it will point the way toward improving in the areas requiring it. Attention to detail will take you far. Good luck with your game.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The next time you see Ray Martin ask him how many hours a day he played when he was winning those world titles.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
uh oh

Not OP, but thanks Stu. I started playing straight pool for the first time after watching Ruslan win the American 14.1. I’m really enjoying it, but I live in Korea,
and no one plays 14.1 here. I’ve been thinking about analyzing why I break down but hadn’t gone as far as specifics. This list seems pretty comprehensive, and I think more useful than keeping track of averages etc.

Be careful when u say NO ONE that is a generalization - I have been to Soul and there were people practicing Straight in one of the pool rooms I went to. No one is a poor attention getter. You sound smart (setting goals) just thought I would add that it is very difficult to know every person in Korea does not play the game - but it does sound far out man. Really not trying to be a argumentative here, I just do not like the terms no one, nobody, and everybody that seems to be torn up often on these forums when the poster is trying to convey a message - or prove a point. I do wish u the best in your journey to 100 + ball runs. If almost no one is practicing it - that gives u more time to practice on yer own (best practice anyhue'). So the fact that very few play is not even a good excuse - it's not a popularity gig - I live in the land of bar leegs and people who think if they know to not hold the beer in the non bridge hand - they can play.

Last edited:

Pete H

Registered
Stu, are you trying to make me feel better or worse? The break shot has been absolutely the most frustrating aspect of straight pool for me for nearly 50 years. There’s nothing worse than making it through an entire rack exactly as planned and setting up an absolutely perfect angled break shot, then making it, but screwing yourself by managing to leave a very tough or no shot.
I've played less than 50 sessions of 14.1 and have missed way more break shots than I've made.

One reason is that I have difficulties to find a pattern to leave an easy shot from key ball to break position.

Another reason is that the rack distracts me a lot during a break shot and I need to figure out a way to focus only on the shot but it's insanely difficult (at least with an ADHD handicap)

Any hints how to not to think about the rack while I'm shooting? Last week I tried different break shots without the rack and had no trouble pocketing them with the percentage I should make those shots.

Also there's the monkey on my back because I've already missed so many of them and I kind of expect (or at least fear) to miss the next one too.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any hints how to not to think about the rack while I'm shooting? Last week I tried different break shots without the rack and had no trouble pocketing them with the percentage I should make those shots.

Also there's the monkey on my back because I've already missed so many of them and I kind of expect (or at least fear) to miss the next one too.

I'm far from an expert, but can relate some
you've identified the problem
good on ya
now you can focus on the solution

I was given great advice by a member here
plan the shot well.

in your mind, figure out how to make the ball, and get shape
don't get down on your shot until you're confident in your plan
(as confident as possible)
then when you do get down, focus on the cue ball
play for your shape
if you plan the shot well, and hit it good
the ball will drop
and you'll get your leave
rinse, repeat
i.e. practice, practice, practice
there's no substitute for real world experience
hope this helps

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played less than 50 sessions of 14.1 and have missed way more break shots than I've made.

One reason is that I have difficulties to find a pattern to leave an easy shot from key ball to break position.

Another reason is that the rack distracts me a lot during a break shot and I need to figure out a way to focus only on the shot but it's insanely difficult (at least with an ADHD handicap)

Pete - first thing to understand is that the problem you have with the break shot is completely normal. Most new players have this same problem. Here's my theory: When there is no rack to "worry" about you shoot the ball in no problem. When the rack is there and you see this mass of balls in your peripheral vision, your subconscious tells you that you need to hit harder because if you don't the rack won't open up. You will likely hit harder than you are prepared for and will tense up. Game over.

Try this, if you would. I'm curious if it helps. Set up the break shot and hit it softly. Try not to let any of the balls in the rack move far enough to touch a rail. If you can do that, hit slightly harder and try to get one ball to reach a rail. Keep increasing the power until you miss. This will help diagnose whether you are hitting harder than you realize, and might also show you that you don't need to hit the pack as hard as your subconscious is telling you in order to be successful.