Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page Tight grip tips????????????
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Tight grip tips????????????
Old
  (#1)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Question Tight grip tips???????????? - 10-08-2018, 04:52 PM

Due to injuries from a car wreck( broken neck and spinal-cord damage at C-6) i have to employ a tighter than recommended grip. Kind of a full hand hammer grip. Any ideas on how to better utilize this less than desirable grip? Been trying a shorter, punchier action and its ok for short and medium speed shots but i just can't use that looser, snappier delivery like before on stroke shots. TIA

Old
  (#2)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-08-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
Due to injuries from a car wreck( broken neck and spinal-cord damage at C-6) i have to employ a tighter than recommended grip. Kind of a full hand hammer grip. Any ideas on how to better utilize this less than desirable grip? Been trying a shorter, punchier action and its ok for short and medium speed shots but i just can't use that looser, snappier delivery like before on stroke shots. TIA
I'm curious. Can you explain what the problem is with using a lighter grip? Do you let go of the cue stick?

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#3)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

10-08-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Is the problem that the tight grip restricts the range of stroke motion? Have you tried using more upper arm movement (like a Filipino stroke)?

Fair warning: I have no idea what I'm talking about.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#4)
BilliardsAbout
Billiards.About.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

10-09-2018, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Send me a PM. Happy to give you a free lesson with reasonable adjustments to fix shots using a tight grip.

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, book/DVD combo, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool

Old
  (#5)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

10-09-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
I'm curious. Can you explain what the problem is with using a lighter grip? Do you let go of the cue stick?
My hand opens and closes with wrist movement. I have no control over this. Kinda hard to explain but, if i pivot my wrist inwards my fingers open and if i pivot outwards they close and tighten. If i try a looser grip the cue literally falls out of hand. I have to grip it kinda a hammer. Best explanation i can give.

Old
  (#6)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

10-09-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
My hand opens and closes with wrist movement. I have no control over this. Kinda hard to explain but, if i pivot my wrist inwards my fingers open and if i pivot outwards they close and tighten. If i try a looser grip the cue literally falls out of hand. I have to grip it kinda a hammer. Best explanation i can give.
One suggestion is to get a rubber roll-on grip. Some are tackier than others. The cheapest option is a latex "Penrose surgical drain" in an 18-inch length, 7/8-inch diameter. It's also tackier than most purpose-made rubber grips. Maybe that will allow a little reduction without losing the cue.

Have you tried playing opposite-handed?

Is there any way for you to use just your index finger and thumb and hold onto your index finger with your thumb?

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#7)
garczar
AzB Silver Member

Thumbs up 10-09-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
One suggestion is to get a rubber roll-on grip. Some are tackier than others. The cheapest option is a latex "Penrose surgical drain" in an 18-inch length, 7/8-inch diameter. It's also tackier than most purpose-made rubber grips. Maybe that will allow a little reduction without losing the cue.

Have you tried playing opposite-handed?

Is there any way for you to use just your index finger and thumb and hold onto your index finger with your thumb?
I tried the rubber grips but to me they make the butt feel HUGE in my hand. Can't make a bridge with my right hand nor the thumb/finger grip. I think the all-elbow action is easiest route. I can't really use wrist-action at all. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old
  (#8)
3kushn
AzB Silver Member
3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute3kushn has a reputation beyond repute

10-11-2018, 03:18 PM

I;m not an expert either but if you threw up a video of the problem showing when you lose the cue you might get some answers. I remember a long time ago someone here developed a device to help a player with something he couldn't overcome without an additional device.

Crude and depending on when you lose the cue, how about putting a rubber band or tie a string around your wrist and slide the butt into it? Would just that help in any way? If so maybe something more convenient could be designed.

Last edited by 3kushn; 10-11-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Old
  (#9)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2018, 07:23 AM

Lots of players use fist grips. It's the grip tension that counts, depending on the shot. Some shots even call for tighter grips.

My suggestion for most of your shots is to use the loosest fist grip you can without losing the cue. It's okay if it slides a little but not a lot.

Been Verified. Supporter of responsible teaching. Background checks for instructors, especially those who teach kids.

Old
  (#10)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

10-13-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
Some shots even call for tighter grips.
Can you describe some that do, and why?

Thanks,

pj
chgo

Old
  (#11)
One Pocket John
AzB Gold Member
One Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond repute

10-14-2018, 05:11 AM

This was posted by Mr3Cushion on the OnePocket.org site

So above I mention a, 'Secret' I intentionally left out of the explanation.

I also did this, I think subconsciously in the my book in the, 'Fundamentals' chapter. I think it's because I learned the game in an era, where everyone guarded those little gems that they just couldn't give up! I guess I felt the same way, let them think figure it out!

And, I'm a little surprised no one here even touched on it. Here it is, 'Grip Pressure' at the point of contact on the CB!

For myself, the, 'Pre-shot routine' (warm-up strokes before the stance) is where most of the magic happens for me. For those that believe there are, 'different strokes' in the cue games, this is where many 3C players determine what stroke to apply for that particular shot that faces them.

I try to imitate in these warm-up strokes, the, timing, tempo, speed of the cue tip and distance to travel, and the grip pressure I feel I need at the impact of the CB to impart the correct effect on the CB!
End post.

In my opinion each shot has it's own grip pressure. Some pressures will be light, some medium and some firm. Depends on the shot at hand. Grip pressure can be applied using all four fingers or by using any of the four fingers on the hand.

Here is a player that knows a thing or two about grip pressures. Pedro, a stoke of beauty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDUYpPWoxUY&t=1378s

Just MHO.

John

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

I don't play One Pocket as much as I use to, but when I do, I play at Cue & Cushion - Overland, MO.

In Memory of Dean Higgs and Harry Sims - gone but not forgotten and thank you.

Last edited by One Pocket John; 10-14-2018 at 05:33 AM.

Old
  (#12)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

10-14-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Can you describe some that do, and why?

Thanks,

pj
chgo
Ray Schuler taught me that you can transfer power through a tighter grip. It works well on break shots to tighten at impact. Also, power draw shots, if you're so inclined. I also found that tightening my grip on shots where I barely can stroke helps keep the cue steady, like shooting off the rail when the cb is frozen.

Been Verified. Supporter of responsible teaching. Background checks for instructors, especially those who teach kids.

Old
  (#13)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

10-14-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Ray Schuler taught me that you can transfer power through a tighter grip. It works well on break shots to tighten at impact. Also, power draw shots, if you're so inclined.
Makes sense on its surface - but, FYI, pool scientists say it isn't really true because the soft skin on your hand gives a little and "disconnects" your hand from the impact with the CB, despite gripping tightly.

Quote:
I also found that tightening my grip on shots where I barely can stroke helps keep the cue steady, like shooting off the rail when the cb is frozen.
I don't have personal experience with this, but it sounds worth trying.

pj
chgo

Last edited by Patrick Johnson; 10-14-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Old
  (#14)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member

10-14-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Makes sense on its surface - but, FYI, pool scientists say it isn't really true because the soft skin on your hand gives a little and "disconnects" your hand from the impact with the CB, despite gripping tightly.

I don't have personal experience with this, but it sounds worth trying.

pj
chgo
I'm a little skeptical about the 'soft skin' thing. Has that actually been proven or is it more of a theory?

Old
  (#15)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

10-14-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I'm a little skeptical about the 'soft skin' thing. Has that actually been proven or is it more of a theory?
I'm interested to know that, too. I've heard that idea floating around but is it really anything more than an idea? I wonder if something like Digicue can provide numbers that would show differences between a tight vs loose grip.

Dan White

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: