Movies, Pool, 5am musings

terminal_288

@terminal_288
Silver Member
This started off as a post on the topic of "9 ball the movie" but then i desided it should be its own thread......

So I keep hearing about this "9 ball the movie", even checked out the trailer on ye olde youtube. So to be fair since it's not even out yet maybe it's just a crummy trailer and the movie will be ok.... BUT intuition is telling me other wise. In my world of movie critiquing what made "The Hustler" a great pool movie was the fact that pool was more a back drop to the story of human nature and finding redemtion. All in all Eddie could have been a; Boxer, golfer, bowler, swimmer, insert sport here etc. it's a good story and like the first "Star Wars (ok ok IV: A New Hope)" could stand on its own there didn't have to be a second one but there could be.

Moving on in cronological order "The Colour Of Money" (or "TCOM" from now on) Once again good story not great but, ok much like "The Empire Strikes Back" (yes i'm referencing Starwars i'm a geek deal with it) It introduces new characters a new set of challenges but over all continues the story arc but drags a bit.

Now here's where they really need to make a 3rd movie finish off the trilogy so to speak. This could be a great wrapping up of the story arc. I know I'm not the first to say this and I'd like to add my voice to the number of people that think there needs to be a 3rd "hustler movie". (right getting back on track)

"Poolhall Junkies" much like how "The Hustler" wasn't dependant on pool, "PHJ" was a bit more dependant on the pool aspect but watch it and then watch (or vice versa) "Rounders".... changing the activity of the main charaters similar story arcs creepy. And that is why I think "PHJ" is not great but ok/good movie it has good acting a palatable story and the pools not to bad either, not a great movie but and enjoy able 99 min

So "9 Ball the Movie" why is my gut saying FAIL well first of all it has a bad glossy doc-u-drama feel to it, 2nd cheese is one thing but when it screams "Cheese" but thats not the angle a movie is going for equals not good. 3rd (i had to look this up) 2006 release tba 2007 http://www.billiardboys.com/moviegallery/billiardmovies.html ummm its 2010 and coming out 2011 look It took Axel how long to put out "Chinese Democracy" {spelling way off this post is just about done}

Well I hope you have enjoyed this very very long winded post / 5am ramblings
peace Vince

Antfarm

PRAGMATIC PONTIFICATOR
Silver Member
Yeah, maybe it just that it has taken so long to get it "on the way" that I don't really even care if I see it anymore. I was around the pool halls when they were filming some of it in the MD/VA area and it was kind of exciting. That was a couple of years ago.

Now, whoop de doo.

And besides.... that trailor looks like a piece of crap and the acting looks autrocious.

Greg

1pktfool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you ever read the book "The Color of Money" by Walter Tevis? That's the 3rd movie someone should make. The book is all about Eddie, and while it's not as good as "The Hustler" (second acts rarely are), it's still a character study and an excellent book for us pool nuts. In the TCOM book, there is no Vince (Tom Cruise) character, thank god. There are some young cocky players of course, and the contrast with the class and experience of Eddie is a big part of the book. The book is about Eddie getting back into pool, but not through stakehorsing, but rather through playing straight pool exhibitions with Fats, playing 8-ball in bars and 9-ball in tournaments. There's also plenty of scenes in the book with Eddie and Fats, which would be great to see on film. Cast John Goodman as Fats, and as Newman has passed, I'm not sure who would play Eddie. That's a tough one. Cast Ed Norton as one of the 'younger' cocky players maybe, although there's plenty of choices for those roles. It's also about Eddie getting divorced and falling back in love, so there's your romantic interest, your Piper Laurie from The Hustler film. I'd vote for Susan Sarandon there. So, that's my $.02.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, maybe it just that it has taken so long to get it "on the way" that I don't really even care if I see it anymore. I was around the pool halls when they were filming some of it in the MD/VA area and it was kind of exciting. That was a couple of years ago.

Now, whoop de doo.

And besides.... that trailor looks like a piece of crap and the acting looks autrocious.

Greg
i'll agree with that. i don't expect award winning performances though. i'm just glad i didn't preorder the flick!!!!!! i'll still buy a copy when it comes out though

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So "9 Ball the Movie" why is my gut saying FAIL well first ,,,,,

You mean, the fact that Barretta is the star and the rest of the cast and crew have the combined movie experience of one Maria Bartiromo, and that the movie's main "sponsors" are Lucasi cues, Aramith Billiard Balls, and the APA, didn't give you a clue?
:smile::smile:

pooladdiction

shut up and rack em
Silver Member
Yea, I'm with 'ya. I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst with this movie. It does look terrible but that being said I'll still watch. I thought Poolhalljunkies was terrible!!! The only thing worth watching in that movie was Christopher Walken. Every other bit of acting in that movie was terrible. It seems like when they wrote it they were thinking vulgarity first, storyline second. A great movie can be vulgar but an overly vulgar movie isn't necesarily great. A third "hustler" movie would be great and I think should be based off the book with a notable exception. The whole part in the middle where he goes off to the country to open an antique shop. I almost quit reading the book when I got to this part. It was totally stupid and had little to do with the story. I mean HONESTLY, fast eddie felson, an antiques dealer. Really??!!!