Controversy on Live Stream Finals Match

223tracer

C-c-combo breaker
Silver Member
I was told this rule was born from straight pool where if someone was on 2 fouls and their opponent went a long run, he may forget he's on 2 after sitting for a while. So you're supposed to say it when the player on 2 returns to the table.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

taimedowne

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Roadman Justin Cone was matched up Friday night with Richie Rich and this came up. Roadman told Richie after he fouled the 2nd time he was on 2 and also told him again when Richie came back to the table Roadman told him again he was on 2. That's the best way to avoid any problems. Jeremy definitely should've told Cliff when Cliff came back to the table.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Another stupid pool rule. Tell him after he commits the foul and then put a token or coin on the rail if you must. They all know what they are on. It's just another way for someone to get away with something. Why put it on the non-fouler to remember to tell him a second time. Playground $hit. JT

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Cliff is a gentleman player and gambler, never causes any trouble at the table. What you saw in that match was out of context. They were both doing the same thing cause it was a funny scoring game.

I agree with you isusedtoberich. Cliff Joyner exemplifies class when at the table, whether he is gambling or competing in a tournament.

He understands gamesmanship and won't let another player jerk him around either. Haven't seen Ike at the table enough to say whether Ike was providing gamesmanship or not.

The situation that the other poster provided sounds like it is out of character for Cliff, imo.

JoeyA

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a school of thought which holds that it is a good idea to tell your opponent that they are on two fouls as soon as they commit the second foul.

They might commit another foul before returning to their seat, and, depending on tournament rules, it may possible for them to foul during your inning.

Ken

edit: It also reduces the possibility that you may sleep the 2-foul notification.

The correct rule is that the player needs to be informed they are on two fouls when they are coming to the table to shoot after the second foul. So player A commits a 2nd foul, sits. Player B takes his turn. Player A gets up to go shoot, player B then states that Player A is on two fouls.

You can say the person is on two fouls right after the second one is committed also, but the rule is to inform the other player they are on two when it's their turn. Not when the other player just commits the second foul. I do both.

There are plenty of posts on this topic, while it's "nice" to accept the 2 foul call at any time, the RULE is that the player has to be told when he is approaching the table on his turn.

Last edited:

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Another stupid pool rule. Tell him after he commits the foul and then put a token or coin on the rail if you must. They all know what they are on. It's just another way for someone to get away with something. Why put it on the non-fouler to remember to tell him a second time. Playground $hit. JT

I have to disagree with you this time, Johnnyt. I have played a lot of one pocket in my time and it is VERY EASY to forget if you have fouled twice in a row. Players even forget whose turn it is to break. (I know.:embarrassed2:) One pocket is a thinking game and sometimes your mind is deep into other things other than how many times you have fouled in a row. Fouls generally take care of themselves with the coin doing the counting.

I think the WPA rule is fair.

JoeyA

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
The whole rule is COMPLETELY nitty.

It's in the category of "Rules designed to make the ref's job easier and avoid arguments"
rather than "rules that exist to improve the game and make it more fair and fun".

I remember a controversy where a ref warned a player she was about to foul.
Like they were about to shoot the wrong ball or something.

That was considered overstepping their bounds. The ref is supposed
to let someone foul, and then enforce the penalty afterwards.
Not prevent them from fouling and change the course of the match.

So it makes zero sense - if a ref is not supposed to warn someone
about a potential costly screwup, why should I have to warn my opponent?
Especially when doing so changes the outcome of the match and works against me?

I shouldn't be doing the ref's job in the first place, but something
like this should never be the ref or the seated player's job in the first place.
It's the shooter's responsibility to know he's on two.
If he forgets, tough shit for him.
If he remembers, but is dishonest and acts like he wasn't on two,
then tough shit for the ref or TD who must sort it out.

It's absurd, we have this rule where I am forced to actively help my opponent,
and then I can get criticized because I 'timed it wrong' and didn't make sure
that he didn't forget in the time between my inning and his.
Worse, he can lawyer his way out of committing three fouls by using
this 'timeliness' loophole. This is not how three-foul or any rule should work.

wutang

THE DEADLY GAMESMAN
Silver Member
Immediately!!!

You should tell you're opponent immediately after your inning ends in conjunction to his beginning.

Wutang

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

I agree with Johnny on this one. This is not Straight Pool! If you are clearly told you are on TWO after committing your second foul, that's enough! Being told one time and having you acknowledge/hear it is adequate. Using the excuse that I wasn't told again before my turn doesn't fly with me.

Their are many pool organizations with varying rules. As long as that's the case I will make my own set of rules for tournaments I produce. If a player is unhappy with the rules they are welcome not to play. I'm sorry but some of the BCA rules are terrible imo. I have often tried to be on the Rules committee to no avail. I guess they don't want someone who might have a different opinion than theirs.

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sorry but some of the BCA rules are terrible imo. I have often tried to be on the Rule committee to no avail. I guess they don't want someone who might have a different opinion to theirs.

Don't the BCA rules mirror the WPA rules? I think the BCA/WPA rules are probably the best out there, despite some oddities like this one.

To be fair, the WPA rules say that the REFEREE is the one to tell the player they're on 2 fouls when they get to the table. That makes more sense than having the opposing player tell them when they go to sit down. I don't think it says anything about what an opposing player is supposed to do.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I agree with Johnny on this one. This is not Straight Pool! If you are clearly told you are on TWO after committing your second foul, that's enough! Being told one time and having you acknowledge/hear it is adequate. Using the excuse that I wasn't told again before my turn doesn't fly with me.

Their are many pool organizations with varying rules. As long as that's the case I will make my own set of rules for tournaments I produce. If a player is unhappy with the rules they are welcome not to play. I'm sorry but some of the BCA rules are terrible imo. I have often tried to be on the Rule committee to no avail. I guess they don't want someone who might have a different opinion to theirs.

I'm in the camp with Jay, Creedo and JohnnyT.

But it is the rule. Ask Dustin Johnson how in a golf major at Whistling Straits he got alien probed. Ask Craig Stadler @ the "building a stance" rule when he laid down a small towel on the wet ground to shoot a shot off off his knees. Golf has so many more rules, and more stupid rules than pool.

But Tiger can get 3 big fans to move a freaking boulder so he can get a normal stance. Ay yi yi.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i saw this match and when JJ told Cliff your on two after he took a foul Cliff told JJ you have to tell me when its my shot not yours then JJ shot and made a few balls it took a few minutes then it was Cliffs shot JJ did not say your on two and Cliff took another foul then JJ said thats three not sure who was right but cliff got angry and raked the balls before they got a TD ruling very strange situation not sure why cliff did that but the score at the time was cliff owed 4 balls and JJ had 6 balls