The Greatest Break In Snooker History

8BallWonderland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, and 'throwing his whole body into the shot' was how Higgins played so much of the time - it was hardly a mind blowing moment. The Hurricane was literally lifting his head and upper body so much of the time through his playing career it was an incredible feat he could cue so straight, and make so many many extraordinary pots.

I've seen harder pots than the blue just in the last 2 frames of Selby's today....

Please stop, it's nauseating.

sneakynito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I realize I don't have long time forum status cred, and will likely get flamed for this......
That's ok.

The Higgins break is incredibly overrated.
And I LOVE Hurricane! Grew up watching him on Pot Black televised in Australia and fanned my love of the game, and thought he was one of the most incredible shot makers you might ever see.

But in the break referenced, he makes one, just one, brilliant shot. The cut to the middle pocket.
The red along the end rail is also good, but I make that shot myself often enough to not consider it exceptional.

The thing that hurts the break most is his extremely poor cue ball control for many of the opening pots. He makes every subsequent pot more difficult than is necessary, yet none are jaw dropping as they play out. Just one shot after the other showing a lack of finesse, but a natural talent for making a shot when needed.

It's ok, but I've seen innumerable better breaks, pressure of a major championship notwithstanding.

I'm with you on this one.
The only thing that made this break extraordinary was his great shot making from his less than desirable position play.
That rack layout was not near as difficult as the one Ronnie handled in the 92 break someone else posted. That layout was organically difficult from the get go. Jimmie's was not. He made it hard.
If I get terrible position on every shot in a rack of 9 ball and end up having to unnecessarily bank every ball, that's cool all and all, but would I consider it my greatest run out?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Okay I'll bite?

I'm sorry, it was Alex Higgins. After his opponent fouled on the break leaving Alex snookered behind the rack, the snooker rules allow in incoming player to choose any clolored ball as a red ball, then the game starts. Alex shot the blact as a red, spotted it then shot it as the black, gaining an extra 8 points, while breaking out the reds and continued to score another 147 for a total break of 155. And since that feat has only been accomplished ONCE, shouldn't that at least be considered one of the best breaks in snooker history?

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm sorry, it was Alex Higgins. After his opponent fouled on the break leaving Alex snookered behind the rack, the snooker rules allow in incoming player to choose any clolored ball as a red ball, then the game starts. Alex shot the blact as a red, spotted it then shot it as the black, gaining an extra 8 points, while breaking out the reds and continued to score another 147 for a total break of 155. And since that feat has only been accomplished ONCE, shouldn't that at least be considered one of the best breaks in snooker history?

Apparently Jamie Cope also made a 155 in practice: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2005/oct/12/snooker.sport2

And here's some good info on break records -- tops in competition is 151: http://www.snooker.org/Plr/records.shtml

Last edited:

HaroldWilson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh, and 'throwing his whole body into the shot' was how Higgins played so much of the time - it was hardly a mind blowing moment. The Hurricane was literally lifting his head and upper body so much of the time through his playing career it was an incredible feat he could cue so straight, and make so many many extraordinary pots.

I've seen harder pots than the blue just in the last 2 frames of Selby's today....

leave it alone pal, the shot on the blue wasn't just about the pot. That has been spelt out to you on this thread on numerous occasions, the pot, position, circumstances even had a huge impression on Dennis Taylor who was a hugely knowledgeable and successful snooker player, world champion in fact and even Ronnie said it was the greatest break of all time.

In light of this, i believe that you are an Internet troll new to the forum, so please go and find a new bridge to hide under and lets just nip this experiment in the bud. So maybe time to grow up and find another hobby or time to grow up and open your mind and stop trying to hide what you don't know to begin with.

Last edited:

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
Apparently Jamie Cope also made a 155 in practice: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2005/oct/12/snooker.sport2

And here's some good info on break records -- tops in competition is 151: http://www.snooker.org/Plr/records.shtml

The article I read said that Higgins' 155 was also not in regular competition.

In terms of best breaks ever, one could argue that Ronnie has done the unthinkable by *twice* asking the prize for a maximum and then proceeding to get a 147 one time, and an intentional 146 the next time.

The 147 in particular required a couple of absurdly great shots.

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
leave it alone pal, the shot on the blue wasn't just about the pot. That has been spelt out to you on this thread on numerous occasions, the pot, position, circumstances even had a huge impression on Dennis Taylor who was a hugely knowledgeable and successful snooker player, world champion in fact and even Ronnie said it was the greatest break of all time.

In light of this, i believe that you are an Internet troll new to the forum, so please go and find a new bridge to hide under and lets just nip this experiment in the bud. So maybe time to grow up and find another hobby or time to grow up and open your mind and stop trying to hide what you don't know to begin with.

The blue is ridiculous. Although I probably couldn't do a break of 30 today, 20 years ago I played snooker pretty well and had a couple of century breaks, and I think "that me" could shoot that shot 100 times and maybe never make it with that level of speed, spin and length.

It is a fantastic break and I understand people considering it the best because of what was on the line. From a pure playing standpoint I think that O'Sullivans 92 of the breaks I have seen is stronger..

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The blue is ridiculous. Although I probably couldn't do a break of 30 today, 20 years ago I played snooker pretty well and had a couple of century breaks, and I think "that me" could shoot that shot 100 times and maybe never make it with that level of speed, spin and length.

It is a fantastic break and I understand people considering it the best because of what was on the line. From a pure playing standpoint I think that O'Sullivans 92 of the breaks I have seen is stronger..
Ronnie's 92 was the best I've seen. Then Carter breaks off in the next frame and Ronnie then proceeded to run a 141 to end the session. It was just sick.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
From the second link, it's interesting that the first official 147 in a pro tournament didn't happen until 1982. There are several per year now.

The first 147 in tournament play was made by John Spencer in 1979...
...the Holsten Lager....he made it on Cliff Thorburn.
It should've been the first televised one also...but the camera crew were taking a break.

Three years later, Steve Davis had the first televised 147...on John Spencer...

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The first 147 in tournament play was made by John Spencer in 1979...
...the Holsten Lager....he made it on Cliff Thorburn.
It should've been the first televised one also...but the camera crew were taking a break.

Three years later, Steve Davis had the first televised 147...on John Spencer...
Well, yes, but the snooker people are really picky about records. The 1979 table had pockets that did not conform to the official pocket templates (too large?) and the break was not recognized as official.

Speaking of Spencer:

Spencer_0003.jpg

His chin was a good shape for snooker.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Well, yes, but the snooker people are really picky about records. The 1979 table had pockets that did not conform to the official pocket templates (too large?) and the break was not recognized as official.

Speaking of Spencer:

View attachment 457872

I did not know about the table being non-standard.
The same thing happened to Canada's George Chenier....
..he ran a 144 in the world championship...early 50s...declared non-standard conditions.
George was not too happy about it....the high run was 142 till Mountjoy beat it.

The chin as a auxillary bridge?....Steve Davis created his own cleft chin also.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Speaking of Spencer:

View attachment 457872

I did not know about the table being non-standard.
The same thing happened to Canada's George Chenier....
..he ran a 144 in the world championship...early 50s...declared non-standard conditions.
George was not too happy about it....the high run was 142 till Mountjoy beat it.

The chin as a auxillary bridge?....Steve Davis created his own cleft chin also.

John Spencer beat me for a bet on the size of Canada...he knew the sq. miles of the
Major countries....he couldn't stop laughing at me...said "You lost on your own country?"
:eek::angry::eek:

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think that Alex Higgins' 69 is the best break in snooker. Let me explain why by analysing the break shot by shot. I'll be writting the break score first and commenting on the shot that got him the points.

1 - The first red is absolutely a rubbish shot. No position what so ever. Horrible shot.
4 - The shot on the green was a good pot. I don't think that he played to move the red from the cushion, I think that he just concentrated on the pot.
5 - Good pot, again not playing position. I do the same with those shots, play it with right hand spin to make the pot and hope that I'll land somewhere good. Difference is that I'm not a snooker legend, I'm a nobody.
12 - Great pot, I guess the position is decent as well for the first time on the break, I don't think that he could get to an easier red from the black.
13 - Good pot and ocne again horrible position play. He didn't get to the pink for the left corner for the 2nd time in the break.
18 - The famous blue.. This shot I think describes this whole break. Great pot, rubbish position play. Yes, the pot itself is VERY difficult. Yes, he put loads and loads of backspin and left handside spin. BUT: did he really need to? I don't think so, he didn't get to an easy red. He had the whole right side of the table to land on an easy red for the left corner, but he overhit it and landed in the middle of the table behind the reds...
19 - Great pot and at last a good positional shot as well. He really couldn't mess the position of this shot up, it was all about the pot, the position was automatic.
26 - Easy pot, decent position as well. I would had played with a touch more backspin so he wouldn't need the rest for the next shot, but ok, doesn't matter.
27 - Good pot with the rest, position was automatic again.
34 - Nice position.
35 - Nice pot, automatic position.
The rest are the colors. He didn't messed that up, but really, I don't think that clearing the colors are concidered as great shots by professionals. This is the most basic routine ever. So really this break isn't concidered by many as "the best break in snooker" because of the colors, but because of the shots before them.

As you can see from my comments I didn't like the position play of Higgins. And because of this reason I don't think that this break should be concidered as "the best break in snooker" and I'll go even further to say that I wouldn't concidered this as one of the top 5 or 10 best breaks. I get that the preasure was immense and the importance of this frame was tremendous, BUT a) purelly from a break building perspective this is NOT a good break, horrible cue ball control and b) don't try and act that this was the first time a player was on preasure and he had one opotrunity to win a massive match. Yeah, the conditions were tough, but he wasn't the only one who have ever experienced this and I refuse to believe that there aren't other players who could play simple position even with extreme preasure on them.

In my eyes a great break is a break that is so well played that there is no need to play difficult shots (this obviusly changes a little when the balls are awkward, BUT in the case of Higgins 69 nearly all the balls were out in the open with the only exeption being a red on the left cushion.). Whatch again Ronnie's fastest 147. You watch all the shots and think "what's so special here? I could have made this shot!!". That's because he lands his cue ball exactly where he wants so all he has are easy pots. No need for a long blue because he missed position on the pink by 20 inches, no need to slam the blue in with extreme low left and miss the reds by half a table, no anything like that. Control the cue ball with pressision and only have easy pots.