Anybody out there with a diamond table that has tighter pockets than pro cut?

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want a tougher table to play on, maybe you should take on the Russian game of Pyramid...

I would imagine that tight pockets on a table would have ruined your desire for the game, if they had been on the pool table where you started.

Everything has it's place, moderately tight pockets for great players is OK. Tight pockets for bangers won't work.

Last edited:

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was quoted a $600 upcharge from Diamond to go with 4 1/4" rails on my ProAm table.

My 4 1/2" pockets played a little loose when I first got the table, but now that the cloth is broken in I can tell that the pockets play a little tighter.

WinnerBreaks

Registered
Look Raven, what are you trying to achieve? Are you gunning to be the next SVB? Your leagues best player? Impress your friends? Tighter and tighter pockets does not make a better player. If you are trying to emulate SVB or Scott Frost, go for it! Otherwise leave well enough alone. Just be sure to level the table correctly.

When you enter East Ridge Billiards in Rochester, there is a Diamond Pro/Am straight from last years Turning Stone August event. Signed by the finalists. Toughest Diamond I've ever played on. Standard "pro cut" pockets. If you have the time, look up the final match on YouTube. You'll see how tough the table played!

Think twice before you jump. JMHO.

Lyn

You must not play up at Bisons in Buffalo then. Head up there and hop on the money table.

raven5000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everybody for the response. I think I will order my table with 41/4 or procut(4.5) I have some time to think about it. Thank you all! I will post pics once I get my room setup

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

robertno1pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Procut versus standard - same size or perhaps different

This is very confusing without an overlay of what the standard 4-1/2" pockets are and what exactly pro-cut means.

An overhead 2-D AutoCAD type drawing might help.

Sorry if I should query the forum for obvious answers already posted.

How can Diamond charge extra if they do not have a purchaser friendly explanation???

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Going to get a diamond and curious if I should order tighter than pro cut pockets but curious if anybody has one like this and if they like it or regret it?

Have you considered getting a Chinese 8 ball table? Much tougher pockets. If you can run racks on one of those go with a 6x12' Snooker table and use pool balls, past that take up Billiards :)

raven5000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you considered getting a Chinese 8 ball table? Much tougher pockets. If you can run racks on one of those go with a 6x12' Snooker table and use pool balls, past that take up Billiards :)

I thought about that but it’s really a different game. In my area there are a lot of tight tables that I play tournaments on and I just want something that is comparable or a little tougher so when I play I’m not shocked by pocket size. Lol With that being said I know it’s mostly mental but I feel like it will help my game.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everybody for the response. I think I will order my table with 41/4 or procut(4.5) I have some time to think about it. Thank you all! I will post pics once I get my room setup

Pics would be great. I recently received my new Diamond (took 9 weeks).

One more tidbit for thought:

What kind of people will be enjoying your table?

I ask for this reason. I, myself, could enjoy my new table with 4.25 pockets (even though I don't really have the game to justify that small of a pocket) but the reality is I am not the only one who will use my home table.

Non hard core billiard enthusiast guests that I invite over for social events that aren't pool players (to include the wife and family) will absolutely hate hate hate 4.25 pockets.

Get what you want, but consider all of the people you would like to enjoy the experience of playing on your table. If that audience is 4.25 pocket people, cool but in my opinion- that is potentially a smaller group of people.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pocket..........................

This is very confusing without an overlay of what the standard 4-1/2" pockets are and what exactly pro-cut means.

An overhead 2-D AutoCAD type drawing might help.

Sorry if I should query the forum for obvious answers already posted.

How can Diamond charge extra if they do not have a purchaser friendly explanation???
From the man himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG9CqK95U2E

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you or others want to learn more about the factors that affect how tough pockets play, or if you want to compare your table difficulty level to a wide range of tables, see the Table Difficulty Factor (TDF) sticky thread. Also consider posting your pocket measurements there for comparison.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

Matt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have pro cut pockets on my home table and think that they are a great compromise between challenging and playable across a wide range of games. They are tight enough to keep one pocket interesting, and loose enough to play rotation games without sacrificing position play just to make sure every ball hits center pocket. Personally, I think that playing competitive pool on tighter pockets is a bit of a perversion anyhow; it's not really fun from any perspective: winner, loser, or spectator. Extra tight pockets can be good for practicing on if you need to work on aiming and/or straighten out your stroke, but only practicing on tight pockets can also damage your confidence and hinder your position play. Maybe that's what you're looking for, but it seems like quite an investment for a table that is just for practice. For reference, most of the people that play on my table are somewhere around what I'd call B-level players (top league ranks, but not a factor in any major open tournament).

JazzboxBlues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't have a Diamond but have a GC IV w/ rails by Mark Gregory. 4.5 " corners and 4 7/8" sides. My table plays pretty tough and if you're dialed in on it, you're playing pretty well. I couldn't see a reason for any tighter if you're interested in playing a variety of games.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have pro cut pockets on my home table and think that they are a great compromise between challenging and playable across a wide range of games. They are tight enough to keep one pocket interesting, and loose enough to play rotation games without sacrificing position play just to make sure every ball hits center pocket. Personally, I think that playing competitive pool on tighter pockets is a bit of a perversion anyhow; it's not really fun from any perspective: winner, loser, or spectator. Extra tight pockets can be good for practicing on if you need to work on aiming and/or straighten out your stroke, but only practicing on tight pockets can also damage your confidence and hinder your position play. Maybe that's what you're looking for, but it seems like quite an investment for a table that is just for practice. For reference, most of the people that play on my table are somewhere around what I'd call B-level players (top league ranks, but not a factor in any major open tournament).
I would say that's good advice. I would only recommend 4-1/4" pockets if you are a strong enough player that you can at least hang in there respectably playing the 9-ball ghost on a Diamond 4-1/2" pocket table, and you are looking for a home table mainly as a practice table to try to further improve your shotmaking accuracy, with the thought of hopefully giving you a mental advantage when you then play your tournaments or head to head matchups in poolroom tables with bigger pockets.

Just know that unless you are an "A" player, you will not be running racks very often on 4-1/4" pockets, even with ball-in-hand against the ghost. And if you play 14.1, your career high run, if you have one on standard pockets, you'll be lucky to achieve half that high run on 4-1/4" pockets. My straight pool high run is around 100 on standard pockets, but I've very rarely strung 3 racks on our 4-1/8" pocket table.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say that's good advice. I would only recommend 4-1/4" pockets if you are a strong enough player that you can at least hang in there respectably playing the 9-ball ghost on a Diamond 4-1/2" pocket table, and you are looking for a home table mainly as a practice table to try to further improve your shotmaking accuracy, with the thought of hopefully giving you a mental advantage when you then play your tournaments or head to head matchups in poolroom tables with bigger pockets.

Just know that unless you are an "A" player, you will not be running racks very often on 4-1/4" pockets, even with ball-in-hand against the ghost. And if you play 14.1, your career high run, if you have one on standard pockets, you'll be lucky to achieve half that high run on 4-1/4" pockets. My straight pool high run is around 100 on standard pockets, but I've very rarely strung 3 racks on our 4-1/8" pocket table.

Your high run is “around 100”? I’ve never known a straight pool player, especially one that runs that many balls, who doesn’t know their exact high run. Even if you’re close to 100, that’s strong!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your high run is “around 100”? I’ve never known a straight pool player, especially one that runs that many balls, who doesn’t know their exact high run. Even if you’re close to 100, that’s strong!
High run of 98 after running 7 full racks with a perfect break shot setup. Executed the break shot perfectly and parked the CB near the middle of the table (high run of 99 for a split second), then an OB knocked it in the side pocket (high run of 97). So, it's unclear to me what I should actually consider as my high run? That was nearly 20 years ago, and I've never reached that elusive 100 ball run, although I did manage a run in the low 80s a few years ago on our tight pocket table. Since then, I can't seem to get to 50. Now at age 61 and concentrating what time I do practice on 9-ball / 10-ball, I doubt I ever will ever reach that 100 ball run - oh well.

Last edited:

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't mind tight pockets as long as they're cut right, and I don't even know what 'right' is! Sometimes you like to practice power draws or follows, if for no other reason than just stress relief. Some tables I've played on won't take a hard shot down the rail, kinda like a snooker table, it's gonna rattle. So if I ever bought another table it would be with tighter pockets cut with the 'still able to go in the hole' angle.