Why is 9 ball so popular?

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like I said. The telling stat would be *runout rate in games with no safe played.

RDeca

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also just to **** with you guys. At no point in my post did I say break and run. Lol tee hee. But seriously....if you push after break and then spend the next two or three turns tapping the one around the table till a **** up happens. There's still balls on the table no one has pocketed a ball. Opponent runs out. You never made a ball. Its still a "run out"

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not when they are on. The,only reason they are uncommon is because they don't take chances with tough shots....and by tough i mean a shot they only make 75 perent of time. They play safe....and bury you. Get a pro playing lose with nothing,on the line running 8 to 12 racks ain't shit. Amature open players can put up 4 and 5 packs when they are on.

So what's the, runout rate? Either way yu make a mistake your done. 9 ball is the easiest quickest game period. And that why its popular

This is, in part, why nobody has made a perfect 147 in Snooker since 2012 in the World Championship. ....in over 5,000 games. A top pro Might make one in every 100 games ‘if’ he wasn’t concerned about getting eliminated by losing control of the table. It’s like a football team gambling every fourth down...they might score another 20 points a game but would have an extra 40 scored against them.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is, in part, why nobody has made a perfect 147 in Snooker since 2012 in the World Championship. ....in over 5,000 games. ...
Some might consider this to qualify:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIcq5kmhlOw

I think part of the reason is that they stopped offering $200,000 (more or less) for a 147 in the WC. They found they couldn't afford it any more.;)

There have been lots of 147s since 2012 in events where players were nearly as motivated to win the match. I think it's mostly a matter of chance that none has occurred in the WC main event.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some might consider this to qualify:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIcq5kmhlOw

I think part of the reason is that they stopped offering $200,000 (more or less) for a 147 in the WC. They found they couldn't afford it any more.;)

There have been lots of 147s since 2012 in events where players were nearly as motivated to win the match. I think it's mostly a matter of chance that none has occurred in the WC main event.

True to an extent. To add. the top prize at the Crucible is 500,000 £ and likely as much in endorsements, etc. Thus a million £ is at stake. It’s also a significant chunk of ranking points to keep in The top 16 and top 32 . This also translates into future guaranteed earnings.

A 147 is worth 40,000£ at the upcoming tournament in the next few weeks. Players will be playing to win and not playing for a 147 prize. A 147 is A fortunate break (excuse the pun) depending how the table develops. If you watch Crucible matches, there is a lot more Action on the blue ball in the middle of the table...potting the blue then cracking the red cluster with the white. Trying to get o break of 50 plus and then a safety if the right strategy.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Busty used to say the most he ever ran was just 6.

I always found that crazy...

In all the tournaments I've ever attended, I've seen just one 8-pack, and that was by Ralf Souquet in about 2000.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Sky ran a 9 pack or something bar box magic rack 9ball and it was all the rage at the time

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In all the tournaments I've ever attended, I've seen just one 8-pack, and that was by Ralf Souquet in about 2000.
There was this 8-pack by Kaci that everyone was talking about for a month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqEV0uWSfd0

And Bob Vanover had a 9-and-out in the Texas Open. And Earl did his thing, albeit with a rack that leaked nine balls into the corner.

But I think if RDeca wanted to bet on an 8-pack at any time during an entire tournament, he could get action.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sky ran a 9 pack or something bar box magic rack 9ball and it was all the rage at the time
Hi-runs on a bar-box are child's play for top players. I've seen Matlock run 13 like it was a joke. I believe his career hi-run is something 19-20. Now, in his prime he was THE best bb player on the planet but my point is bb runs are easy if you're good.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Make that world class great

Hi-runs on a bar-box are child's play for top players. I've seen Matlock run 13 like it was a joke. I believe his career hi-run is something 19-20. Now, in his prime he was THE best bb player on the planet but my point is bb runs are easy if you're good.

Matlock's high run on a barbox is reported to be 26-28. However, he was very possibly not just good, but the greatest in the world on a barbox at his best.

What is the top high run average on a barbox for the top ten on fargo that play a barbox now? I would bet less than ten. If you take their top ten high runs it would probably drop to under eight.

Plenty of barbox matches between great players on youtube. Break and runs of more than a few racks, rarer than hens teeth! It happens a few times in years. I think Rodney Morris was one it happened to. I remember the great reply when somebody asked the loser how the match went: "I dogged the lag!"

High runs in competition are long remembered because they are rare.

Hu

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Matlock's high run on a barbox is reported to be 26-28. However, he was very possibly not just good, but the greatest in the world on a barbox at his best.

What is the top high run average on a barbox for the top ten on fargo that play a barbox now? I would bet less than ten. If you take their top ten high runs it would probably drop to under eight.

Plenty of barbox matches between great players on youtube. Break and runs of more than a few racks, rarer than hens teeth! It happens a few times in years. I think Rodney Morris was one it happened to. I remember the great reply when somebody asked the loser how the match went: "I dogged the lag!"

Hu

Yes, I read Matlock ran a 28-pack at bar box eight ball. Along with Buddy Hall, Keith Macready and Danny Medina, he was as good as anyone in his day on the bar box.

I've also read that Luther Lassiter ran a 21-pack on a nine footer at nine ball, but I have not had this corroborated. On the other hand, Niels Feijen's 15-pack at nine ball on a nine footer in, I believe, 2003, is well documented.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
No magic rack, just wood.

Wish that was the standard now, and NO messing with the 1st 3 balls after the rack is lifted.

Hu

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
There was this 8-pack by Kaci that everyone was talking about for a month:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqEV0uWSfd0

And Bob Vanover had a 9-and-out in the Texas Open. And Earl did his thing, albeit with a rack that leaked nine balls into the corner.

But I think if RDeca wanted to bet on an 8-pack at any time during an entire tournament, he could get action.

Ernesto Dominguez ran out a race to 7 against me once from the opening break.