GC1, paint stripped and stained.

Attachments

• GC1 Stained.JPG
    GC1 Stained.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 296

Pope

Registered
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I came here to ask for some directions and opinions if I can have any insights I truly appreciate

I'm searching for my first table, I play pool and snooker for a long time, but I'm only a casual player.

So, what I'm looking for is for a good pool (wife is trying to learn and says snooker pockets are too small, oh well), something that would last few years without me regretting not buying something better.

Right now, I have a few options:

all 9 feet
Dufferin Challenger CAD 1800
Canada Billiard BLACK CROWN CAD 1800
Brunswick Gold Crown 1 CAD 1500
Brunswick Gold Crown 3 CAD 2500

All of them in good shape; the GC3 is in excellent condition other than their felt; all of them will need felt replacement.

Anyway, can anyone give me some thoughts to help me decide?

Thank you very much.

FL

PS, if I post in the wrong place, please move or delete it.

I have a Brunswick Gold Crown, can't beat a Brunswick, I've played on Diamond, AMF,
Olhausen, nothing beats a Brunswick, paid 2 grand here in the States for it and am
super satisfied. Have played on other Brunswicks also and they were nice tables also.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
You got it, it should be here by Sunday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't need those plastic skirts on there when you have it installed (see pic in post #21 above). I had 22 GCI's in my first poolroom and I took them off all of them. They are a hassle to deal with and don't do anything for the look of the table. JMHO as always. :smile:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would recommend a Gold Crown. Those prices seem high if you gotta replace felt.

Attached is picture of mine.

Ken

Attachments

• IMG_1895.jpg
    IMG_1895.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 193

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gold Crown I. They are built to last a lifetime and when setup properly by a qualified mechanic, they will play lights out. I bought mine for $400 and put about $2,500 in restoring/setting it up including rail work, new rubber and having the pockets tightened up to 4.125". I also built a matching light.

49622667162_283e6b60a9_c.jpg

49725546583_f658784cff_c.jpg

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You don't need those plastic skirts on there when you have it installed (see pic in post #21 above). I had 22 GCI's in my first poolroom and I took them off all of them. They are a hassle to deal with and don't do anything for the look of the table. JMHO as always. :smile:

I agree they are a pain but disagree on the aesthetics. I think the skirts add quite a bit to the overall looks and design of the table. I can understand the desire to ditch them in a commercial setting but think they are a must have for a home table. Like you, LMHO.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm jealous. I'd love for that pile of parts and pieces to show up at my house, and have the room to set it up. It'd be a lot of fun putting it together.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Just a warning, I could be wrong, but: That looks to me like a snooker frame!
Someone could have "converted" it to pool, definitely have someone
who knows their stuff take a look at those rails!!

TFT

Just got it, let's see how it will end up...
7901479ec4bbceaf1c0c6796b634b88d.jpg

87938fbdb9453402c21538c3ffc69755.jpg

8ed36981efc572889f5ba3185ffd9434.jpg

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
Hey man, I really like what you did if yours, did you stain it yourself?

If so, can you tell me what stain you used?

Thanks

I did not rehab the table, the old country billiard store I've bought two from did. They pulled all the tables out of a Northern Ohio college Student Union. I believe they used a mahogany stain which on the grain of the Poplar ended up matching the Rosewood rails pretty well. When it comes to tables...IMO...the stripping and staining is the easiest part. :lmao: The table was originally white and blue.

HNTFSH

Birds, Bass & Bottoms
Silver Member
The raised rubber pockets really irk me. Will GC4 pockets fit?

There's ultimately a few things I'd like to do to the table. For now it's just nice to have one back. Pockets don't bother me too much...they aren't as raised as the pic appears (the other posted pic is not my table, it's just refinished exactly like my table). This pic is mine from a different angle.

I also didn't fuss over chrome for the time being, I'll eventually switch those out too. With Covid it was getting dicey on these guys being allowed to stay open and deliver so I opted for their standard refinish.

Attachments

• Pocket.jpg
    Pocket.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 161

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The raised rubber pockets really irk me. Will GC4 pockets fit?

No. But you might be able to change the corner castings then you could use 4 pocket liners.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums

These will fit the original castings just fine but you have to modify the frame as the are wider than the original pockets. They will also make contact with the apron brackets in the corners but it doesn't affect playability at all.

http://www.8th-zone.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=68_77&product_id=66

49573848898_705dcfe12c_c.jpg

49574356751_782727d1f9_c.jpg

49574356466_fd7e9e7e79_c.jpg

49573849983_823ab870fd_c.jpg