What shaft diameter is a McDermott G series?

Mental

I wanna play pool now
Hi there, I'm looking to buy a Defy shaft for my McDermott. They offer two different shaft diameters of .843" and .855". No where can I find information on what diameter my G series cue is. I read a story online of people buying McDermott shafts and having an issue of them not lining up properly due to wrong shaft diameter.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you mean the collar size, when just talking about the shaft diameter that is at the tip end. Buy a caliper and measure what yours is. I bought some cheap 10-15 set and have used it quite a bit.

Mental

I wanna play pool now
I think you mean the collar size, when just talking about the shaft diameter that is at the tip end. Buy a caliper and measure what yours is. I bought some cheap 10-15 set and have used it quite a bit.

According to McDermott it is the joint. http://www.mcdermottcue.com/defy-high-performance-carbon-shaft.php If you look at the chart. Never realized there was so much in buying a shaft.

A bit involved but I may have to do this. I was hoping to just find the information online but to no avail. So with a caliper you just measure the width joint? The circumference?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to McDermott it is the joint. http://www.mcdermottcue.com/defy-high-performance-carbon-shaft.php If you look at the chart. Never realized there was so much in buying a shaft.

A bit involved but I may have to do this. I was hoping to just find the information online but to no avail. So with a caliper you just measure the width joint? The circumference?

Yes the joint and collar size should match. The collar is on the shaft, the joint is on the cue but both should be the same size for a flush fit. Just put the caliper around the joint near the end and you get the diameter of your cue. Match it up to the closest one. From the size you were talking about it's pretty clear you were talking about the joint size, just when you ask about "diameter of the shaft" that is taken to just mean the tip diameter.

Last edited:

Mental

I wanna play pool now
Yes the joint and collar size should match. The collar is on the shaft, the joint is on the cue but both should be the same size for a flush fit. Just put the caliper around the joint near the end and you get the diameter of your cue. Match it up to the closest one. From the size you were talking about it's pretty clear you were talking about the joint size, just when you ask about "diameter of the shaft" that is taken to just mean the tip diameter.

Yeah my fault, I really didn't articulate my question properly. I will have to pick up a caliper today and do this I guess to ensure the proper fit. Seems a bit ridiculous on McDermott's behalf. I would think they would have a list of diameters for their cues if this is variable to consider when purchasing shafts. Thank you much for your time

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
IMG_3931.JPG

I hope I have attached this pic correctly. This is my G-226.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So how come this collar measurement is only necessary when buying a McDermott shaft? Why wouldn't this be necessary no matter what brand shaft you buy?

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
So how come this collar measurement is only necessary when buying a McDermott shaft? Why wouldn't this be necessary no matter what brand shaft you buy?
Yes it is important to any after market shaft. About 15 years ago there was a website that posted the joint collar size to most of the different shafts available. I have not seen that chart for years.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
The joint size on my G-Core is .865"

Damn cue sizing. One end is metric, the other isn't. :rolleyes: