Routers for Taper Shaper

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Hey folks,
Have a question.
I am adding a taper shaper to my shop and do not have the money to invest on a Kress router at this time.
What other routers will fit in the taper shaper without doing any modifications or making adapters?
Thanks!

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
taper shaper

I would love a taper shaper
How much are they and where are you getting it from if you don't mind?New/ used?
thanks, bill

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Hey folks,
Have a question.
I am adding a taper shaper to my shop and do not have the money to invest on a Kress router at this time.
What other routers will fit in the taper shaper without doing any modifications or making adapters?
Thanks!

Get the Rigid Tony, trust me. The PC will make your ears bleed. The Bosch is good and so is the Dewalt, but the Rigid works just as welll as the others and is the quietest of all.

MAKING A BUSHING IS EASY.

Simply bore the ID and turn the OD. After you turn the OD, leave the unturned piece that you chucked up on larger so you have a step. Then simply slit the piece with a bandsaw so it can compress. I'll try and post a pic later or you can give me a call. If you want, I'll give you the one off of mine and make myself another. Shoot I'll even trade you even if you buy me another router... :)

Last edited:

Guerra Cues

Silver Member
I would love a taper shaper
How much are they and where are you getting it from if you don't mind?New/ used?
thanks, bill

Hey Bill,
Best thing to do is to check Unique's website at www.uniqueinc.com
Was lucky enough to have one of my best friends to have one available and be able to get it from him.
I would keep my eyes open for a used one.
I will have 2 tapering machines, the Taper Shaper and Custom Cue Lathe as well another Hightower lathe and a 13x40 metal lathe.
It's all about what you are trying to do, but there is no such thing as a perfect all in one machine.
The taper shaper will do an awesome job as long as you are able to take advantage of the strengths and be tolerable with the weaknesses.
Good luck on your search.

Guerra Cues

Silver Member
Get the Rigid Tony, trust me. The PC will make your ears bleed. The Bosch is good and so is the Dewalt, but the Rigid works just as welll as the others and is the quietest of all.

MAKING A BUSHING IS EASY.

Simply bore the ID and turn the OD. After you turn the OD, leave the unturned piece that you chucked up on larger so you have a step. Then simply slit the piece with a bandsaw so it can compress. I'll try and post a pic later or you can give me a call. If you want, I'll give you the one off of mine and make myself another. Shoot I'll even trade you even if you buy me another router... :)

It was nice talking to you Randy. I hope to see you soon up here so we can do some work.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Perske motor. :)
Horrible Freight's cheap laminate router fits too.

Last edited:

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Perske motor. :)
Horrible Freight's cheap laminate router fits too.

I wouldn't buy anything from Harbor freight that had an electric motor.....Not anymore.

They used to have some Ingersol Rand stuff years and years ago. They were great buys. I bought a Sanborn compressor(5hp 60 gallons-220) from them when they still had some American air, and that thing has been trouble free for 20 years....

I think the best thing going, if you need a nice tool box, is their 56 inch industrial rollaway. 865 bucks out the door for a new box that compares to the big three(Snap On, Mac, and Matco) is a heck of a deal. I've been around the automotive industry and it does the job nearly as well as boxes that cost 3-4 times as much. MAYBE the drawers don't slide on the bearings quite as well.....

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
It was nice talking to you Randy. I hope to see you soon up here so we can do some work.

A pleasure talking to you again sir. I hope to get my garage in order so I can work!!!! I've been down with this horrible cold as well... Going on three weeks...

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
I wouldn't buy anything from Harbor freight that had an electric motor.....Not anymore.
QUOTE]

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Trim-Router-Metal-Body/H7790

I wouldn't buy that one either. Grizzly has been good with what I have bought so far(band saw and 8 inch jointer), but if I don't like something that is unknown(like that router) I would just as soon buy it from Home Depot so I can try it and return it if need be will little hassle..

I think HF is ok with returns, but I don't trust their electric tools.

Do you own any of the HF or Griz routers Joey?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I wouldn't buy that one either. Grizzly has been good with what I have bought so far(band saw and 8 inch jointer), but if I don't like something that is unknown(like that router) I would just as soon buy it from Home Depot so I can try it and return it if need be will little hassle..

I think HF is ok with returns, but I don't trust their electric tools.

Do you own any of the HF or Griz routers Joey?

I ran PC, Horrible Freight, Grizzly and Kress on my TS when I had it.
Used 6-wing cutter but had to slow the speed down ( cheap router speed controller from Horrible Freight ).
Didn't try that orange Ridgid though.

PMcues

Registered
pmcues

I fond some recondition kress spindles at techno eseil in New York.dont know if the spelling is rite warrenteed for one year. hope this helps.

fishinpoolplay

Registered
taper shaper

hi my friend here is what I did to add a full size router to your shaper bosch 1617 v8000 to 24000 rpm is the only router that carries a full warranty. bearings and brushes are cheap. you can make on your lathe using a 4 inch round by 5 inch long aluminum stock.
will email pictures if you would like to see.
nst@shaw.ca