Does Thorsten Hohman gamble?

LeftyIke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard that T. Hohman refuses to or avoids gambling. Is this true? How does it affect your view of his talent and Heart? Is gambling for big stakes the ultimate test of of a Player's ability?

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
If he "did" gamble who would want to gamble him? He is in my opinion and probably the opinion of most of the pros one of the top 10 people in the world that you "DON'T" want to run into in the finals of the truly major events.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
If he "did" gamble who would want to gamble him? He is in my opinion and probably the opinion of most of the pros one of the top 10 people in the world that you "DON'T" want to run into in the finals of the truly major events.

Im sure Shane would try him.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard that T. Hohman refuses to or avoids gambling. Is this true? How does it affect your view of his talent and Heart? Is gambling for big stakes the ultimate test of of a Player's ability?

I dont think gambling has anything to do with some ones ability to play pool,myself i love to gamble at pool and watch people play for money,and when iam betting my money,i play to the very b est of my ability,were as if i was playing for fun,i would not perform as good,so i do understand what you are talking about,now i would say that a lot of players that do play really good,can not perform as good when gambling,like someone else said before me if Holman did gambling ,he probably wouldnt get many games,and when you do have the ability that THORSTON has you dont have to gamble,he is 1 of a few that can make a good living just playing tournaments!

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member

People who play pool well and choose not to gamble have my respect. It's their life and they can live it however they please.

If they do whatever it is they do for a living, including if pool is included, and they provide well for their family for instance, I consider them to have a lot of heart.

Having a lot of gamble and having a lot of heart aren't always intertwined.

Best,
Brian kc

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
I was in Amsterdam Billiard Club a few months ago and asked him to gamble, to which he replied: "I've never gambled in my whole life, lucky for you, but I will buy you a drink."

So nope, he doesn't gamble at all... fortunately for him he plays so good he doesn't have to.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
To each his own moral standards. I respect the man for his decision. Also, who can doubt his playing ability? He's a top level pro...period.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member

And Dennis Orcullo, Busta, Yang, Alex, Lee Van, and.... the list shrinks....

Thorsten would for sure only get straight up action from the best, the guys we all know are elite in their own right. And even in those matches IF Thorsten did a long race to 100 challenge match against them he would probably be tough coin flip style action.

Saying "Shane will try him" is moot, Shane will try anyone, he has loads of heart and the skill to back it up.

I am STILL waiting for TAR to set up a Shane vs Yang or Wu match. Get one of those two guys on loan from Taiwan/China, that match would be epic and you will see alot of even action bets on either of those players against SVB. If Shane beats Alex he is gonna need to hit up those two to see who really IS the best. Dennis was considered to be the best cash player in the world until a few years ago when he played Yang in a challenge match and got drilled, in his own country no less.

I would be shocked if there are not some rich people in Taiwan or China who would not put up the money to see one of their top pros take on the American SVB.

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member

It would be interesting and also depend on the game... I think Thorsten is the best 14.1 player in the world and he can play any game at a high level for a crazy long time. That guy is like a robot with a spare set of batteries.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Some of the posts in your thread got me to wondering if morality has anything to do with whether a player gambles or not.

I would venture a guess that the sponsors prefer that their sponsored player does not gamble and that is why some professional players don't gamble. I truly doubt that morality plays more than a miniscule part in most pro players' minds in the decision to gamble or not.

Like others have mentioned, every time they enter a tournament and spend money to go to a pool event, they are "betting" that they will "win" money by beating other contestants. It may only be their entry fee and expenses that they are risking but they are putting up money to win money and that's the bottom line.

CrownCityCorey

Sock it to 'em!
Silver Member
I was in Amsterdam Billiard Club a few months ago and asked him to gamble, to which he replied: "I've never gambled in my whole life, lucky for you, but I will buy you a drink."

Yup, sounds like Thorsten.

Gambling does not make someone a good or better player - competition does!

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So nope, he doesn't gamble at all... fortunately for him he plays so good he doesn't have to.

That is an awesom reply and honest one too,i got a feeling that quote will be used for sometime now,it is a great one,dam Bran you must have a lot of game to ask that man to play!

branpureza

Ginacue
Silver Member
That is an awesom reply and honest one too,i got a feeling that quote will be used for sometime now,it is a great one,dam Bran you must have a lot of game to ask that man to play!

Yeah, I thought it was pretty funny. I'm an ok player, I didn't expect to win, just looking for some experience. Lessons aren't cheap!!

The Chinchilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you don't gamble you are reduced to playing races to 11 or thereabouts your whole life. You can be as great as you want, but the true test of your skill to REALLY defeat a player will never be known. If that's how you want your legacy to be, and you are fine with it, that is ok of course. But if he doesn't gamble, has he ever really beaten anybody? The answer is a plain and simple no -- unless somebody puts up a "hong kong" style race to 120 or something like that of course, which probably has happened for him?

I also don't believe he has never gambled, but that's conjecture.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you don't gamble you are reduced to playing races to 11 or thereabouts your whole life. You can be as great as you want, but the true test of your skill to REALLY defeat a player will never be known. If that's how you want your legacy to be, and you are fine with it, that is ok of course. But if he doesn't gamble, has he ever really beaten anybody? The answer is a plain and simple no -- unless somebody puts up a "hong kong" style race to 120 or something like that of course, which probably has happened for him?

I also don't believe he has never gambled, but that's conjecture.

Interesting point...

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Perhaps he does not want to deal with the BS that comes with gambling. I gambled with a guy last night thinking it was just some cheap action, I win $20 and the guy ask me if I have his time, I replied sure and you can get yourself a beer too. :grin:

I think European and Asian (non-filipinos) do not really gamble too much, its just not as popular there as it is here. Thorsten is a great player and I do not think there is any American who would want to gamble with him playing 14.1 . :cool: