Tournament Software

mfinkelstein3

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm looking for help in getting a program to run tournaments on my new laptop. I'm putting on a tournament for juniors this Saturday and would like to keep the brackets on my laptop. I have a portable projector that puts the bracket on the wall as well.

What are some good programs/apps for tournaments? We will be running a double elimination tournament with Boys 18 and under, Girls 18 and under, Boys 14 and under, and Girls 14 and under.

Thanks in advance. I have a Mac laptop and am a computer dinosaur.

Stew_Pidaso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Challonge is a great one and you can also just post on Facebook and tag Mike Page, and results are easily extracted by them to enter into Fargo. Just need to record the score for each match.

Saturated Fats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But be careful...

I'm a recently retired software developer and my advice is whatever you choose, you should probably do it the old fashioned way too - on paper - at least the first tourney or two. Sure it's twice the work, but you don't want to have all the airline seats occupied by paying passengers when you are on your first solo flight.

kross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have found it extremely difficult to do an online and paper bracket concurrently. The main reason is, the online sites like Challonge don't match the paper brackets. They move people over to the loser's side in a different way than most paper brackets.

I second (third?) the recommendation for Challonge. And once FargoRate knows you run tournaments that you want entered into FargoRate, they will automatically every once in a while check your username on Challonge and look for new tournaments, and enter the results for you without you having to ask.

I believe the budtour.com online brackets also integrate into FargoRate, so that would be another option.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
tournament maker 2.1 is a easy program to use, and is free, not sure if it will work on a Mac though.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a recently retired software developer and my advice is whatever you choose, you should probably do it the old fashioned way too - on paper - at least the first tourney or two. Sure it's twice the work, but you don't want to have all the airline seats occupied by paying passengers when you are on your first solo flight.

You can always do a fake tournament and run though it a few times. I did that when trying out different ones.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Challonge is what they use here. Results are sent right into Fargo.

Somebody beat me to it........

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I always fall back to using excel and google sheets. Googlesheets can be shared out as read only web pages.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Challonge is what they use here. Results are sent right into Fargo.

Somebody beat me to it........

I tried to figure this out but could not find an answer, are the player results saved from week to week so you can add the same players and track their win/loss and results? I only used challonge for one-offs.

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuescore.com is great in my opinion.

Every player gets to create a profile and store all his/her tournaments results
show player statistics in their profile and tournament statistics
live score option
brackets match the paper brackets as well
I've seen options for tournament directors to create ranking lists
Players can create challenge matches
etc

kross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried to figure this out but could not find an answer, are the player results saved from week to week so you can add the same players and track their win/loss and results? I only used challonge for one-offs.

No that is currently not possible. That sounds like a great idea, you should send that to them as a feature request.